Are clownfish smart

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on what you mean by smart.
If you're looking someone to ponder the meaning of existence with or to read over your calculus to make sure it's correct, a clown isn't the answer haha.

But all fish will learn things and for the most part and are all of the same rough level of intelligence. They'll learn who feeds them, when and from what section on the tank. Some will beg, some will spit water etc.
It's more about personality than intelligence as we perceive a strong personality as being intelligent.
A clown would be a great choice for a fun fish with a great personality :)

OP
OP
S

Southpawzzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess a fish with personality and intelligent like recognising me and know what's going on outside the tank like an oscar

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns fit that description. Mine can see me getting the fish food out in the kitchen and start dancing. As clowns mature they are so smart that they'll let you know you're not welcome in their tank territory by love bites. o_O

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my snowflake clown is so smart, she figured out the food pipet within a week and always "begs" for food when Im a few feet away from the aquarium. I love her :D

tgfitz1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish will swim up to the front of the glass near the surface every time I come in from work begging to be fed, but not when anyone else comes in!! Very smart creatures

Wesley42079

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets see, I give them a radical, sexy anemone, wonderful water, a mix of the finest foods, tank mates that are just a pleasure to be with, a gorgeous landscape and they still attack the crap out of my hand. So no, they are not smart.

I believe your clowns are smarter than you think.

So your clowns attach your hand and yet you continue to reward them with "a sexy anemone, wonderful water and a mix of the finest foods?" And you question that they aren't the ones that are smart? Looks to me, that they are smart enough to coax you into giving them all those amenities. lol.

elfda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're territorial as heck and downright fearless, but quite clever.

Personally, I like the neon dottyback that recently arrived at work; he'll hang out in his little cave until you wiggle a finger, and then he comes out to say hi. :)

20170121_201458.jpeg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back