Are skimmers necessary?

Camrea47

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are skimmers necessary for a marine tank?
I'm new to marine tanks and was wondering if you need one?
I'm looking at 2 different tanks and both come a sump with room for one but I have no idea if they are needed .
The 1st tank is a red sea reefer 170 and the 2nd is an aqua one aquareef 275. They are both around the same price at my LFS so I'll probably go with the bigger 275 which does come with a skimmer but I've read it is a poor quality one.

Any help on this would be appreciated, thanks!

Joey waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at 2 different tanks and both come a sump with room for one but I have no idea if they are needed .
The 1st tank is a red sea reefer 170 and the 2nd is an aqua one aquareef 275. They are both around the same price at my LFS so I'll probably go with the bigger 275 which does come with a skimmer but I've read it is a poor quality one.

I have had tanks that ran for years with out them. Saying that it's a lot nicer to have one. A whole lot nicer!!

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0

Its not necessary, you can just make up for it with better husbandry. Also keep in mind, forbid if any contaminants get into your tank, the skimmer will pull all that junk right out.

MaddyP

'Til Reefdom Come...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with above...they aren't needed, however, they infinitely make tank maintenance easier. If it's a value vs cost thing, I'd say it's worth it.

cowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some will tell you yes some will say no, in reality as others have stated they are not a must have but do allow for a little more laxed maintenance. They will help in the removal of solids and dissolved organics, will also help in the removal of chemicals as well as oxygenation of the water. Personally I won't run a tank with out one they do make life easier.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having used skimmers since 1983. I have found them useful as they remove solids that are not easily remove by other means. Skimmers work best when they are combined with algae scrubbers.you need a several proved approach in removing waste in a reef tank and a skimmer is a vital part of the process of removing waste

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you ever get to the point where nutrients are out of control, get a skimmer. Even most bottled remedies require a skimmer for no3 and po4 removal. Like everyone else has said, they aren't required.

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a skimmer for the first time in my reefing history.. though it's only because I got a bigger tank.. I am totally amazed at how much gunk it has pulled! After 3 days of running it, I am already cleaning it out. I am dumping and cleaning it 2-3 times a week.

I'd say totally worth it!

MaddyP

'Til Reefdom Come...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another lesser perceived benefit is oxygenation of the water. If you plan on having a dense population of fish, a skimmer will help keep the oxygenation optimal without excessive micro bubbles in the tank (assuming it's properly adjusted). I think this is a much greater benefit than most realize.

LA Reef Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Not necessary but sure helps with nutrient export. I have kept many tanks without skimmers but always ran a large refugium to ensure nutrients stayed at desirable levels.

OP
OP
Camrea47

Camrea47

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow thanks for all the replies.
Seems like it would be a good idea to get one then.
I am leaving towards getting the larger aqua one 275 which does come with a skimmer but I've read bad things about the standard one, do you guys have any recommendations on a replacement?
Does the skimmer help during cycling or is it something I can save up for while doing the cycling process?
Thanks for your input, I really wasn't expecting that many replies!

Boiler13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got the vertex omega 130 on my 75 gallon. You would need to go with a bigger skimmer, but the vertex skimmers are worth the extra cost! If you can hold off until black Friday, they usually have them online or on brs for about the same price as the reef octopus. But better skimmer overall in my opinion.

OP
OP
Camrea47

Camrea47

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got the vertex omega 130 on my 75 gallon. You would need to go with a bigger skimmer, but the vertex skimmers are worth the extra cost! If you can hold off until black Friday, they usually have them online or on brs for about the same price as the reef octopus. But better skimmer overall in my opinion.

I was looking at the reef octopus but I like the look of the bubble magus g5 better and it has really good reviews.

DrBoxedWine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shouldn't need it during the cycling process, you'd be fine to hold off on buying it.

As other people mentioned it takes several nutrient export methods. I have a skimmer, then dose carbon, run GFO and Carbon and also have seachem matrix in the sump. While you don't have to have a skimmer, it really helps. I'd say 100% worth it

OP
OP
Camrea47

Camrea47

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shouldn't need it during the cycling process, you'd be fine to hold off on buying it.

As other people mentioned it takes several nutrient export methods. I have a skimmer, then dose carbon, run GFO and Carbon and also have seachem matrix in the sump. While you don't have to have a skimmer, it really helps. I'd say 100% worth it

Yeah I'm definitely going to invest in a good one for sure!
Seems like it will be a huge help in keeping my tank clean.

nhat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who said no skimmer needed, i bet they will do waterchange everyday or clean the glass every hour or no fish!
Skimmer is one of the most importand equidment on reef aquarium system.

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I'm definitely going to invest in a good one for sure!
Seems like it will be a huge help in keeping my tank clean.

SRO 5000/6000, SMC 250a or 300a, and the Skimz skimmers seem really nice. All great skimmers for less $700 and under. I personally use the SWC, incredible air draw and a great bump with the body not being fancy as the others.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 27 29.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 73 79.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 15 16.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 8.7%
  • Other

Votes: 8 8.7%
Back