OP
Camrea47

Camrea47

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on this one... I have a skimmer + sump + refugium + GAC. I shut my skimmer and GAC down ever day during my photo period including ramp up/down (12 hours). For my system, this is a good balance, it also helps with heat management as those submerged pumps don't contribute more heat as the lights come up. My refugium is on a reverse photo period from my lights, and my skimmer comes back on at lights out. This combination also helps with CO2 management and pH stabilization, so the added benefit is I only have a very slight pH swing at night (8.35 average day, 8.28 average night). And for my system I am able to maintain a good nutrient level by only using the skimmer for 1/2 of the day.
Back to the OP.... a skimmer is useful. If one comes with the system you are getting, give it a try after the tank is cycled and stocked before you worry about replacing it. As long as you can adjust it, maintain it easily, and it pulls decent skimmate then why replace it? IME it takes a year to really get a system tuned and find its individual balance, just be patient and make small adjustments over the first year until you find what works for your system.

My only problem with the skimmer that comes with the tank is that it it notorious for overflowing and flooding .

I might just give it a go and see how it goes and put the money into some better lights or power heads.

Kungpaoshizi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps the question should be, "In a tank that includes : <insert stocking list> , do I need a skimmer?"

You can fill a tank with saltwater and nothing else and it's still a reef tank... :)

Richard Depweg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally worth the money.
I'm running a reef octopus 110int on my 40g and it works awesome. Starting a 2nd tank and I have a used 150 that needs a motor. Found reef octopus a little more challenging to get replacement parts for (not impossible).
Probably won't buy reed octopus in the future.

OP
OP
Camrea47

Camrea47

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps the question should be, "In a tank that includes : <insert stocking list> , do I need a skimmer?"

You can fill a tank with saltwater and nothing else and it's still a reef tank... :)

We'll I guess that is a good point lol.
My plan for fish are..
2x clown fish
2x bangaii cardinal
Royal dotty back
Yellow prawn goby or clown goby
Fire shrimp
Flasher wrasse

This is a 75g tank.

Zero Nitrates

I love chalices
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are endless ways to keep a reef tank. Pick what works for you. Skimmers are useful for someone new to the hobby because of the tendency to over feed.

OP
OP
Camrea47

Camrea47

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are endless ways to keep a reef tank. Pick what works for you. Skimmers are useful for someone new to the hobby because of the tendency to over feed.

I have a fresh water tank so I would like to think I can feed proper amounts but no doubt just like everything else feeding a marine tank is going to be different haha

Reef_Hobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Zero Nitrates... I like ur choice of a name. I was running close to zero nitrates for a long time until I started SPS and they just were not doing well. Now I have to run about 5 ppm but still zero phosphate. It is funny how all this time I was striving for something that wasn't working and it was a heck of a lot easier to keep it at zero than it is to keep it at 5. too

Oh well, great name though :)

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmers are worth it. You are probably better off getting a skimmer not included with a kit so you can research it and find what is right for you.

Zero Nitrates

I love chalices
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zero Nitrates... I like ur choice of a name. I was running close to zero nitrates for a long time until I started SPS and they just were not doing well. Now I have to run about 5 ppm but still zero phosphate. It is funny how all this time I was striving for something that wasn't working and it was a heck of a lot easier to keep it at zero than it is to keep it at 5. too

Oh well, great name though :)

I hear ya. Skimmers take out so much good food and bacteria. I try to run at 15ppm nitrates. Easier said than done. One dead snail behind a rock will throw you off for weeks. And it's so easy to over correct and end up at zero.

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some tanks I run a skimmer on and other tanks I do not for one reason or another. I have countless images of both types of tanks, but you get the idea. The premise of thread is are skimmers necessary, no they are not, it's a personal choice based on how you want to run a specific system.

My current tank will eventually be sps dominated, and yes I will add a skimmer, that is just my preference for this current tank.

Sps dominate nano cube, no skimmer:

A softy tank/mixed reef no skimmer:
Very nice!

mardoon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like my skimmer but i have 11 fish & 3 are tangs with heavy bioload. I agree you dont need skimmer but easier with one. My believe is if fish and corals are doing well why change.

image.jpeg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back