Are snowflake eels considered "Reef Safe?" And other questions.

Duke4Life

Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Duke4Life how do I raise salinity in my 29 Gallon? It's at 1.018 I thought it was at 1.023 but I guess my Refracotmeter wasn't calibrated correctly. I got a falco hawk yesterday, thinking I had the right salinity, then I tested my freshwater aqaurium for salinity and it wasn't at zero, then I checked tap and wasn't at 0. So I knew something was wrong after that. The little guy is alive. I didn't have much time but this morning I just set up a 10 Gallon in the bathroom and put a filter to circulate the water and a heater. Then I didn't have time to measure the salt so I just tossed in a few handfuls into the 10 Gallon. I did this because I know you are supposed to circulate the water with the salt instead of just adding the salt into the aqaurium. So what do i do?
Slowly raise until within .02 of desired salinty. When I have this happen, I measure my new at .02 above and take out half then replacing with the new made. I'd do this over 2-3 days or until desired salinity is reached. If off cclose to .02 you can always top off with salt instead of fresh as well, I use this method when raising my qt salinity.

OP
OP
Cowfish928

Cowfish928

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Duke4Life I'm kind of confused on what the pumps are for. Like the thing for the sump. Why are they needed? Not like the ones that circulate the water, like in the actual aquarium. Like the things in the sump, that apparently can over heat and is why you need a chiller?

Duke4Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Duke4Life I'm kind of confused on what the pumps are for. Like the thing for the sump. Why are they needed? Not like the ones that circulate the water, like in the actual aquarium. Like the things in the sump, that apparently can over heat and is why you need a chiller?
Talking about your return pump?

Duke4Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just took this earlier:
0922161833a.jpg

Duke4Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A chiller and heaters aren't always a necessity, depends on if you can control the water temperature by your house temperature. My current house I have neither, my new house don't know yet.

You said you have other aquariums, correct? If so what is the temperature in them (freshwater counts)?

OP
OP
Cowfish928

Cowfish928

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the return pump. What does it do exactly? Also how do i make sure the siphon doesn't break on the overflow, and if it ever did and I wasn't home, can I prevent this??

Wow the Eel is so Beautiful! It's huge! The patterns are unreal[emoji7]

I have 4 other aquariums in the same room 3 freshwater and one salt, I keep them all at around 80 degrees. I have lots of surface agitation in the 29 saltwater biocube I have since the water is warmer. I want to add a bubbler to it, can I? I heard it can make the salt go on things and ruin them, but I have a lid. But all my aquariums always stay within 79-81 degrees. (Except my Crayfish tank)

Duke4Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the return pump. What does it do exactly? Also how do i make sure the siphon doesn't break on the overflow, and if it ever did and I wasn't home, can I prevent this??

I have 4 other aquariums in the same room 3 freshwater and one salt, I keep them all at around 80 degrees. I have lots of surface agitation in the 29 saltwater biocube I have since the water is warmer. I want to add a bubbler to it, can I? I heard it can make the salt go on things and ruin them, but I have a lid. But all my aquariums always stay within 79-81 degrees. (Except my Crayfish tank)
#reefsquad bubbler and siphon could use help please.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Wow the Eel is so Beautiful! It's huge! The patterns are unreal[emoji7]

You can add bubbles to the tank, but your right, it will cause more salt creep (what it's called with saltwater bubbles break and small bits of the water splash on something and dry there. The water evaporates away and the salt stays behind. It builds up slowly over time and can indeed ruin some things) Plus it probably wont lower the temp in there much. It will help add oxygen to the water, but not a whole lot. If you need to lower the temp you can add a fan to blow across the top of the water - to do this you would have to remove the lid so that might be a problem for you.

OP
OP
Cowfish928

Cowfish928

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks for all that information! I will lower the temperature on the heater. For sure. And I will move the circulation pump towards the surface for more oxygen. @melypr1985

Also @Duke4Life

How do you feel about the Rio+ return pump. My LFS thinks I should get one.

Duke4Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Cowfish928

Cowfish928

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok @Duke4Life

So I should get an Eheim Return pump? Could I get the "Eheim compact+ pump 3000"? Is that one okay?

OP
OP
Cowfish928

Cowfish928

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Duke4Life Would my overflow box and sump be able to handle 5000 Litres? I was told something about headspace or something at my LFS. Like something has to be able to keep up with something. I'm not sure.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 46 85.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.6%
Back