Are there disease resistant fish?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bunker is an excellent food. You could also put them in the crankcase of your car instead of oil. :eek:
I see you are on Long Island like me so you should have no trouble getting clams which is about the only food you need.:)

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4FordFamily. I did not have the gold rim tangs but for most of the life of my tank I had hippo tangs, yellow tangs, lipstick tangs and purple tangs. I didn't lose any to disease, most of them either jumped out or lived to 12+ years old and then died. I don't really like tangs and find them boring which is why I don't keep them and I am sure they live longer than 12 years. My tank has had many accidents where I killed many of the fish. My 25 year old fireclown is one of the only fish I had left after I had an accident about 15 years ago with Clorox. I posted that on various forums, maybe also this one. That day I lost a 10 year old mandarin, a 18 year old cusk eel and maybe 15 other fish. But that was due to my stupidity.
I have no problem with tangs and may get another hippo as they are the only ones I really like.
I also don't think I keep the more common fish. I have ruby red dragonettes, blue striped pipefish, clingfish, queen anthius, copperband, mandarins etc. I am also told almost every day that I am playing Russian Roulette but I am not sure how long that game lasts but 35 years disease free to me equals immunity, not just luck or my good looks which is questionable. :rolleyes:
People also get the wrong idea about quarantining or not. I feel it is by far in the fishes better interest if the fish is in a natural tank along with the associated diseases. I feel it contributes greatly to the general health of the fish. If you read those links I posted you can see that I did not make this up. I am not that smart. I also don't think I do much different for my fish that anyone else can easily do. It is much easier to feed clams and blackworms every day than quarantine everything then treat sick fish in all sorts of medications. I buy a fish, any fish and after 10 or so minutes of acclimation, dump it in my tank. They always eat. You never saw me post that I bought a copperband or Moorish Idol and it didn't eat. In a natural, bacteria laden tank, my new fish always eat. I have never posted about my tank on a disease thread for the above reasons. All I do is feel food with live bacteria like worms, new born brine shrimp and clams. The stuff I collect is only in the summer and I think that would only help with nutrients for the corals.
I've kept zebrasoma tangs and hippo tangs in tanks with ich for years, my mother has a 12 year old hippo in a tank with ich it's very resistant. If they survive the first few weeks you're usually OK

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also sorry for your loss. Prayers coming your way sir

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul I wonder if a 'Bunker" is what we call down here a "Pogie or Menhaden". I'm going to look into that.
Yup,it's not a bunker it's a pogie ! Sorry can't get a pic right off :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Porgies are a different fish. A bunker or moss bunker is a menhaden. They are not used for food because they are all smelly oil. That's what they are used for, cosmetics. So Ladies, that lipstick you have on came from a smelly fish.
Not this one.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a Porgie , a Pogie LOL We call menhaden pogies down here ! We use them for live bait off shorefishing. They are oily for sure. You can buy menhaden oil here in bait stores. They use it for mixing with chum for an attractant. next time I net a livewell full ,I'll bring a couple home and try them as fishfood. Thanks.
Moss Bunkers? what's that? ;) I gotta see if I can get a pic here.
let's see if this works

Last edited:

Nihilus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Disease resistant fish, I don't know, but putting them in a healthy environment and feeding them pretty much everything you can find at the LFS has always worked for me. (flakes, frozen etc) Keeping fish long term is not rocket science. People always seem to forget that this is a hobby, and just like every other hobby out there some of us are just better at certain ones than others.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pogie, Menhaden, Mossbunkers, Bunkers . . . all the same oily fish.

Paul, very sorry to hear about your mother-in-law's passing.

Also, delighted to read the civil debate on-going in this thread!

~Bruce

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. It is very civil isn't it. It's like a breath of fresh air, or in this case, water. :rolleyes:

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few quiet minutes before an army of relatives and my Grand Kids arrive. I was reading this month's "Discover" magazine (my favorite publication) and there is an article about Microbiomes or gut bacteria.
They did an experiment on zebra fish (poor zebrafish, they always experiment on them) they removed the gut bacteria from the fish and substituted 2 different types of gut bacteria and discovered that certain types of bacteria have an inflammation suppressing effect. They feel this could lead to treating human afflictions.
I am assuming they removed the gut bacteria from "aquarium" living zebrafish but I am not sure. The article goes on to say that antibiotics destroy the healthy bacteria allowing the bad, disease causing bacteria to proliferate. This could last for the life of the fish. They found that they could replace these bad bacteria with a better microbiome and restore the fishes health.
More and more evidence seems to suggest that we take a more natural approach to our health and the health of our fish. There is a reason some fish in some tanks never get sick and some fish in some tanks are always sick.

On another thread here it looks to me the fish has flukes. This is some of the things people suggest to use to cure this:
Quote:
If I need the best/widest antibiotic treatment then I use the triple threat Kanaplex, Furan 2 and Metroplex. Just throwing that out there. There are several meds out there that they could have used.
I already dosed the metro at the higher dosage on the package. It is the seachem metro. So I can also use kanaplex? Full dose? I have that on hand. I dont have the furan 2 but I do have triple sulfa and meth blue on hand as well.

We instinctively reach for a medication or antibiotic whenever there is something that seems awry. These medications may work (I doubt it) but I believe we should severely limit our use of antibiotics because of what I already posted and linked. My fish also seem to be immune (or as was said) resistant to flukes because I have not seen them in my tank since Nixon was President. They are extremely common on LFS fish but for some reason, they don't seem to like my fish. Or maybe it's what I listen to on the radio. Linda Ronstadt!!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Repeatedly refering to the rerf tanks that the livestock have gone through qt as sterile is shading the dialogue pretty strongly. The process of having a tank go fallow is based on the life cycle of known pathogens, but doesn't affect all the other microfauna. Sponges, amphipods, copepods, tubeworms, bacteria and other biofilms are left intact, hardly a sterile environment, but still healthy, just minus the pathigens.

Most qt recommendations, don't prescribe using antibiotics unless there is an obvious bacterial infection, which isn't as common as other diseases/parasites. Antibiotics affect the biological filtration as well, so there would be a reluctance to have that as part of a catch all treatment, though it doesn't mean that some don't use it that way.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am waiting for the limo to go to the cemetery, I will get back to this. Have a great day

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Repeatedly refering to the rerf tanks that the livestock have gone through qt as sterile is shading the dialogue pretty strongly. The process of having a tank go fallow is based on the life cycle of known pathogens, but doesn't affect all the other microfauna. Sponges, amphipods, copepods, tubeworms, bacteria and other biofilms are left intact, hardly a sterile environment, but still healthy, just minus the pathigens.

Most qt recommendations, don't prescribe using antibiotics unless there is an obvious bacterial infection, which isn't as common as other diseases/parasites. Antibiotics affect the biological filtration as well, so there would be a reluctance to have that as part of a catch all treatment, though it doesn't mean that some don't use it that way.

You are correct, Going fallow to eliminate parasites would not mean being sterile. I have a problem eliminating parasites in my tank (assuming there are any in there) because as you may know, I like parasites and bacteria and feel they are a natural part of a system that evolved along with our fish which have a very good immune system to defeat them. But they will only do that if they are periodically exposed to the parasites.
The title of this thread is if there are any disease resistant fish. I think "all" fish are resistant to parasites if a few simple rules are followed. Fish should ever be bothered by parasites. They should be a no issue thing as they are in my tank and many old, established, natural tanks. Yesterday I dumped this and a bunch of mud into my reef right from the sea. I do that every few weeks in the summer. I am sure there are bacteria and parasites in here by the millions. I think of it as a tonic and have been doing this since the early 70s. No diseases yet and I feel this is the main reason for my fishes immunity. This and the live worms I feed every day with the live gut bacteria intact. I want to get as much bacteria in my tank as possible. The parasites, if any, are a non issue and will keep my fish immune. I have published many times my theory on this and many linked articles by researchers to back up my theory.
(I am still amazed at the cordialness of this thread and am very happy with it. :))

I collected from here yesterday. I don't see any bacteria and parasites, so I assume they are out partying and maybe doing the macarana.

Reefkeeper12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like Paul B I have never QTd a fish in my life and or the last 25 years or so I have not had any disease in any of my tanks. Lucky you may think..... I think luck plays little part in it. I have most probably introduced the likes of white spot on more than one occasion and yes although for a few days after introducing a new fish I have seen flicking I have never seen any spots ever. I don't treat my tank unless you call the fact I use Oxydators as treatment or you consider the foods I feed and the fish oil I add to my foods some of which are home made. IME healthy fish either don't catch many of the diseases we hear about or they fend them off well before they become a major issue. Controversial, well yes but my fish live long lives and many spawn regular for me. The health of my animals speaks for itself however but I must be doing something wrong for my fish not to catch the likes of white spot. :rolleyes:

Taken a few days ago and yes I have plenty of fish in there.

Get a powder blue tang and tell me in 6 months if you still feel that way.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I felt the need to get a powder blue tang, which I don't really like, I will call you in 6 years for you to come and get it.
I have had every kind of tang and followed them in the sea.
I just don't like tangs. I have a hippo tang which is the only ones I kind of like. :cool:

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a powder blue tang and tell me in 6 months if you still feel that way.
Why should I get a fish I have no interest in? Even if I got one it might get WS as other fish I have had have but then what? It would clear up in a few days anyway as my other fish have done. OK so PB are considered itch magnets but if I got one and it didnt get WS what would that prove, that I was lucky no doubt. Why isn't Paul's hippo tang full of WS? I had a tang for a month that was as black as black, I never saw a spot on it. I have plenty of other fish that are magnets for WS like my Royal grammas, copperband, damsels, torpedo gobbies. Why did my Royal grammas show WS soon after introduction only for the few spots to have disappeared along with the scratching in around 36 hours? Why aren't most of my fish full of diseases? Nobody has been able to answer the real questions here apart from Paul. Suggesting putting a PB in my tank is avoiding the real questions and is simply diversionary to just what is happening in my tank and that of a few others. The problem is it goes against the accepted norm in thinking as in you must QT or you will wipe most if not all your fish out. We aren't playing games here this is 100% genuine and we don't risk the lives of our fish which I believe is what people are doing medicating and QTing their fish. Na, I will carry on with my proven methods (to me and a few others I know) of over 25 years with a number of aquariums all with disease free long lived spawning fish, thanks.

Reefkeeper12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why should I get a fish I have no interest in? Even if I got one it might get WS as other fish I have had have but then what? It would clear up in a few days anyway as my other fish have done. OK so PB are considered itch magnets but if I got one and it didnt get WS what would that prove, that I was lucky no doubt. Why isn't Paul's hippo tang full of WS? I had a tang for a month that was as black as black, I never saw a spot on it. I have plenty of other fish that are magnets for WS like my Royal grammas, copperband, damsels, torpedo gobbies. Why did my Royal grammas show WS soon after introduction only for the few spots to have disappeared along with the scratching in around 36 hours? Why aren't most of my fish full of diseases? Nobody has been able to answer the real questions here apart from Paul. Suggesting putting a PB in my tank is avoiding the real questions and is simply diversionary to just what is happening in my tank and that of a few others. The problem is it goes against the accepted norm in thinking as in you must QT or you will wipe most if not all your fish out. We aren't playing games here this is 100% genuine and we don't risk the lives of our fish which I believe is what people are doing medicating and QTing their fish. Na, I will carry on with my proven methods (to me and a few others I know) of over 25 years with a number of aquariums all with disease free long lived spawning fish, thanks.
Ich magnets is the wrong word, they are velvet magnets. If you ever get velvet like one of my tanks got, I had 10 fish die in 24 hours all because of a powder blue tang. Funny thing is the tang seemed fine until he got stressed out one day and the velvet came out of nowhere and gobbled up almost every other fish in my tank including those stupid little damsels that are supposed to be indestructible lol.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back