Are these good LED lights for a reef tank?

terrell wohlrab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a nano reef tank (10g) with a couple live stock in it. i was mostly focused on corals. and currently have 1x torch coral 1x green leather coral, and 2 small colonies of zoas, originally i bought a small 5g fluval evo tank, But have since upgraded to what i have now and i bought these

http://www.petmountain.com/product/...2297/marineland-advanced-led-strip-light.html

Im wondering if these are good for what i have and future purchases? i LOVE the auto on off of these lights. So if these are not good i have another ~50 days to return them and grab something else. Preferably with an Auto on/off like these, and preferably around the same price point. But willing to spend more if i have to.

Thank you!1

OP
OP
T

terrell wohlrab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
P.S. The lady that helped me pick this up suggested it for me since im away from home alot and said they are good for some basic corals. I just wanted to double check with anyone here who will have a better range of knowledge on lighting

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not used that light but looking at the link, I would wonder if it is putting out enough light...
Maybe @saltyfilmfolks could help you with some lux readings to get an idea...

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might be fine for coral that will take lower ligh. The next step up I know of is the current orbit marine leds. Same thing more powerful more expansive and the controller has bells and whistles. Also a flat strip.
You can get them used and refurbed on eBay too.
Sbreeflight light does make a nano size led too. I don't know much about it though.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion these are going to be inadequate for a reef tank. 450 lumens isn't enough to support SPS/LPS corals, maybe some mushrooms. As mentioned, there are more lights on the market that are great for a nano reef. Many good sales on this forum;)

OP
OP
T

terrell wohlrab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion these are going to be inadequate for a reef tank. 450 lumens isn't enough to support SPS/LPS corals, maybe some mushrooms. As mentioned, there are more lights on the market that are great for a nano reef. Many good sales on this forum;)
hmm ill deffinitly check out the sale sectoin on here! ive been trolling ebay for some lights, but i know next to nothing when it comes to LEDS like this, so i dont want to pull the trigger on a setup that looks good for $150 or so and find out its trash china crap

OP
OP
T

terrell wohlrab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
T

terrell wohlrab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
after a ton of reviews, and crawling thorught froums i ended up going with a Current USA orbit marine LED. Alot of people are saying these are very very good bang for buck lights. for nano reefs, Got mine for $99 and its fully programmable which is exactly what i want

http://www.marinedepot.com/Current_...quariums-Current_USA-CU04100-FILTFILD-vi.html

actually now that im still looking around, i also found a Beamswork LED system that looks great too and people are saying is an awesome buy. which do you guys think is better?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beamswork-E...ht-Freshwater-18-24-30-36-48-72-/291651103215

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id go current. If you call customer support you call San Diego. The big aesthetic difference in light will be more Purple actinic in the current. And that current model used to be $200+

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
after a ton of reviews, and crawling thorught froums i ended up going with a Current USA orbit marine LED. Alot of people are saying these are very very good bang for buck lights. for nano reefs, Got mine for $99 and its fully programmable which is exactly what i want

http://www.marinedepot.com/Current_...quariums-Current_USA-CU04100-FILTFILD-vi.html
The Currents are good lights, very good PAR and very reliable. I used some for accent lights years ago and I really liked them.

Mandrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh i should also mention i cannot hang my lights, so something that can sit on top of the tank like this is a must

I bet you can hang your lights [emoji6] you just have to get creative.
IMG_2450.JPG

OP
OP
T

terrell wohlrab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Currents are good lights, very good PAR and very reliable. I used some for accent lights years ago and I really liked them.
You're saying they are good? Some people say yes. Some people say no, some people are saying that you need minimum of 3watts to grow anything other then zoas

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back