Are you a "part-time" protein skimmer?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, you may have noticed that I actually took a day off from writing yesterday. I simply didn't feel all that great...Apparently the flu that's been going around paid me a visit, just a few days before I'm headed out to Denver for a speaking engagement Reefstock 2014. Being sick is not always the worst thing in the world, because it gave me the opportunity to focus on getting more corals up on the website and more corals out to you, our customers!

UC6-piece-frag-pack-chesterfield-blue-ice-cali-tort-blue-tenuis-leprechaun-orange-digi-188.jpg

Since I'm still not 100%, I'd like to present a topic for conversation, that you can help liven up with your insight and contributions...I'll fire the first volley, but I'd like for you to continue and enhance this discussion, ok?

You knew I'd have to breach the subject of protein skimming eventually, right? Now, I'm not going to give a treatise or a scientific paper on how foam fractionation works, and the ratio of inorganic to organic compounds removed, or all of that scientific stuff which, admittedly, is way above my head. What I want to get at is the practical application of skimming, and how it's impacted your reefing.

I have always been a subscriber to the school of thought that says that skimming is a rational necessity for most reefs. I would not ru na reef system without one. I would not run a reef without a skimmer NOT because I am convinced that a tank will fail without one. The reason is that I am a fan of employing multiple modes of nutrient export within a reef system, and protein skimming is just one effective avenue to accomplish this. I think Ken Feldman's study a few years back revealed that the majority of skim mate was INORGANIC compounds, not organic carbon compounds. Yes, some organic material is removed in the process, but not as much as we think. Another positive influence of protein skimmers in a reef aquarium is that they serve to oxygenate the water and assist with gas exchange, creating a healthier overall reef environment.

skimmate_12hrs_b.jpg

As you know, I've written repeatedly about how we don't skim 24/7/365 at UC anymore, and how our corals reflected this in better color and more consistent growth. So, since we know that skimming isn't quite as efficient at removing DOC as we used to assume, perhaps it's the removal of some of the inorganic stuff (CaCO3, MgCO3, and SiO2 ) that negatively affects the growth of our corals when we skim aggressively and continuously. Regardless, skimming super aggressively (as I used to do during the 1990's) has, in my experience, historically resulted in less colorful, less rapidly-growing corals. Our experience at Unique Corals with backing off of the protein skimming has been completely positive.

I'm not telling reefers to turn their protein skimmers into vases. What I am suggesting is that we employ multiple methods of nutrient control and export so that we don't rely excessively on any one practice, methodology, or piece of hardware. If I had to choose just one method, I'd employ regular water exchanges, as they offer the dual benefit of removing dissolved organic compounds from the system, while helping replenish inorganic compounds and materials removed by skimming and animal metabolism.

atb-xxl-skimmer-1.jpg

SO, this begs the question of you....

Do you employ a protein skimmer 24/7? If you do, have you tried backing off? If you backed off constant skimming, did you notice any positive or negative effects on your reef? If you did, do you attribute this to your changes in skimming, or to other husbandry practices that you employ?

I'm curious to hear your thoughts on this topic, in light of all the discussions we've had of late on nutrient control and coral farming...

Let's hear from you!

Keep it nice...

And Stay Wet

Scott Fellman
Unique Corals

Last edited:

Railcar79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run mine 24x7. mainly cause I have found that with the older pumps (not DC) the starting and stopping of the pump is hard on the pump and can drastically shorten the life. I have had intermittent pumps die in a year while the same model pump, purchased together that was left on lasted me 3+ years. I have not played with DC pumps, but my skimmer pump is around $80. replacing that as often as I did Korilia powerheads when I tried running them on a controller would get cost prohabitive, as it would cost nearly the same to buy a new skimmer every year or 2 as to keep the pump going.

Tek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would turn my skimmer off at night during feedings and forget to turn them back on until morning. I started to do this intentionally after I went through a low nutrient issue and have had good results. My nitrates are now detectable and colors have darkened on SPS in a good way. My skimmer is rated for over double the tank volume.

My other tank has a less efficient skimmer rated exactly for the tank size and it needs to be on 24/7 to collect anything.

BfishLpond78

F.U.P.A.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a firm believer in part time skimming...

My current tank ran into an issue that I couldn't explain...all of my acros where slowly...and I mean slowly STN'ing from the bottom up....probably like a millimeter every 3 days. My first thought, I must have the dreaded pest...AEFW's. So I did what we all do...checked...rechecked...dipped...dipped again and redipped in a super potent Bayer solution to ensure that there was nothing on the corals. Next I began looking at all my parameters...everything was in the norm...

Except one thing...my P04 and NO3...both zero...but how could that be...I feed heavily...feed corals...decent fish popluation...I couldnt figure it out. That was until I met with an older reefer who had been around for a bit, he told me my skimmer was stripping the water too clean and that every 3 days I should shut it down for 8-12 hours. So I gave it a shot, increased feeding a little more and voila!!! Most of the corals stop receding and their colors improved.

So every 3 days I turn off the skimmer while I am at work.

PS...nice corals in the first post...feel free to ship those to me :)

Spsnut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too worry about turning my bubble blaster on and off, but need to find a way to raise my N's above having a solid dark chunk and a bunch of bubble in my test vial, and not sure I want to give N dosing a try.

ReefPiracy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer is the loudest item on my system. Wouldn't hurt to shut it off every night. Thanks for bringing this to light. I run skimmer 24/7.

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey my friend, sorry to hear and have been fighting one NASTY FLU BUG myself. You probably caught it at out here at our Bob Moore Frag Swap, since I came down with just a few days afterwards. Nice that you can even see the 'Sunny Side' of being sick..lol Hope your feeling better soon. I to have spent more than my usual allotted time in front of my tank and realized just how destructive my large Blochii Tang can be when bored. Desperately need to re-home him soon.

I pretty much run 24/7-360, as take it off-line for a good scrubbing and vinegar bath a few times a year. I have a ultra high bio-load system Fish and Coral wise and feed quite heavily so will always have at least minimal detectable levels of Nitrate and Phosphate. Also a believer in using more than just one method of excess nutrient removal and a need for at least some readable nutrients in keeping Corals of most all species healthy and colorful. I also utilize occasional Ozone injection into my skimmer and have a relatively large refugium to help with DOC removal.

Cheers, Todd

Last edited:

jozeenotslar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run our skimmer at night so it goes for at least 8 hours - that way the skimmer isn't immediately removing the yummies (zooplankton and phytoplankton) I just put in the water for the corals. I don't feed every night, but I do skim every night, then dump it in the morning.

hllywd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if we're not going to run the skimmer full time, what are the thoughts of running it a night when the tanks pH normally falls? Would the extra oxygenation at night not help stabilize the daily pH swîng? For me, moving the extra noise of the skimmer into the night time hours is an attractive thought!

FlyinBryan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the idea of pt skimming. My concern, the one thing I need to address is the ATO. Because I run kalk, and love it, not sure I can make it work wo a 2nd ATO. I've thought it through several times, haven't landed on a good solution though.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All really interesting stuff!

I am fascinated at the stories of reefers who used to be "full time skimmers" and have changed their tune a bit...I mean, I really like the "security blanket" that a skimmer provides, and I'm not suggesting that we all cut the cord. I do like the idea of transitioning to nighttime skimming, as this does help somewhat with keeping the pH swings down a bit.

All in all, it's interesting to see how the typical hobby view of protein skimming is evolving..Not disappearing, mind you- just evolving! Keep the ideas flowing...

-Scott

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently don't have one at all....and might never...but it would be nice to run one at least once or twice a week (or at night) to clean things up a little...my corals seem to be doing fine without one, though.

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never owned a skimmer until about 2 months ago. Its not in use yet, but I will be using it on my new setup. I have always used a dsb for nutrient removal with no issues. Actually, I struggle to bring my no³ levels up and have had to resort to overfeeding. Its probably not the best idea, but its what's working for me now. I never intended on a low nutrient system but it just worked that way. I moved the tank after being set up for 1 year and my no³ went from non detectable to 0.5. That's when my acro that showed no color for the entire time colored intensely within a couple weeks.
2a2asa4u.jpg

0 no³

6ysahumy.jpg

After 2 weeks 0.5 no³
tuqedage.jpg

After 3 weeks 0.5 no³

My goal with the new setup is to have a little nitrate even with skimming. Even before you wrote the article on "what to feed sps and how to get it to them" I was already planning on part time skimming. I'm very happy to have found someone has already tried it with success. Thank you very much for the great articles, keep them coming!
Jeff

tzsetzse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built an O-2 reactor some years ago and it maintains saturation regardless of whether the skimmer is running or not.
I have always kept skimming a 24/7 thing. BUT....I've never attempted SPS, always preferring LPS and a few soft corals. Actinodiscus is a favorite as are sea mat, star polyps, etc. In my experience, my constant skimming has had no adverse impact on my systems. However, if my planned 72 bow front comes to fruition, I will attempt to change my "evil" ways, LOL

bocomo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been doing this for months now and I have too many independent variables going to know which is working (switched salts, increased temp, removed reactors) but corals are looking much better and growing much faster

Tek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been doing this for months now and I have too many independent variables going to know which is working (switched salts, increased temp, removed reactors) but corals are looking much better and growing much faster

Removing reactors and skimming less turned my tank around and stopped the STN and pale colors.

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run mine 24/7. Many interesting comments above. My question is if the skimmer as we know does very little to remove organics , why are we seeing better coloration and an increase in no3 -po4.

McolonReefAddict

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny thing, I was doing some tank maintenance yesterday along with testing my water column and everything was in order, nothing off the charts. This was a surprise to me because I've been sick (possibly with the same cold/flu that the OP has. LOL) so I've neglected my tank for at least 3 to 4 weeks, No water changes, not cleaning anything in my tank. nothing at all. As I was cleaning the skimmer collection cup I thought to myself that the skimmer kept everything in good shape for almost a month. then I asked myself, Is that a good thing? when I do my regular water changes does that plus the skimmer take out too much? So i turned off the skimmer last night.. LOL. Very interesting topic, I think i will follow the 3 day schedule as mentioned above and will post my results in a month.

Happy Reefing!!
Mcolon

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back