Are you Moving???

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moving your reef aquarium can be a daunting task. Like that meeting or test you have tomorrow that you didn’t prepare for – but you know if you buckle down for the evening and work hard, you’ll be ready to go in the morning. Either that or you'll just call in sick!

Well, calling in sick isn’t an option when you have to move and are taking your beloved box of water with you. With some well-thought-out plans and the proper supplies, your fish and corals will make it to their new home with the least possible impact. The following are guidelines to help walk you through the process and alert you to a few precautions you need to take to help ensure a smooth transition. Let’s start with some supplies needed for this task.

tankmove-png.411093

Image Source
Recommended Supplies
Moving containers
(5-gallon buckets thoroughly cleaned – I’ll bet you have a surplus from all the salt you've used?)
Holding tanks (nothing special here – let some Brute trash cans be your friend)
Air-pump and Stone (to aerate the water in the holding tank while the new tank settles)
Heater and/or fans (useful for keeping the water in the holding tanks at proper temperature – if needed)
Gloves (seems silly but, I got a nasty sting from the 2nd tank I moved – likely crushed a bristle worm or something)
Tupperware Containers (used for capturing livestock - I don't like nets - and don't let the wife see you taking her plastic ware…lol)

Note: If you are going to leave livestock and coral in the holding container for a prolonged period of time, you should consider things like lighting, skimming, activated carbon, heater (if it’s an in-home/same location move), temp-probe, etc.

Moving Coral and Other Livestock

When relocating the tank within your home, use a properly sized Tupperware container to capture your fish. Then place them in a 5-gallon bucket with plenty of aquarium water. Carefully scoop out invertebrates in a small, clean plastic container, before placing them in the bucket.

movingin-png.411118
Image Source

If you're moving less than one hour or so away, bag your specimens individually the same way your pet store does. My local fish store gave me the bags for free when I informed them what I was moving, but you can also purchase the bags if needed. A tip I recommend is that after you have bagged them, keep your specimens in the dark. It helps to reduce stress.

For long distance moves of 5 to 8 or more hours away, again bag your specimens individually. This time however, you'll need to coordinate with a LFS to add pure oxygen to the bags. Call them ahead of time for availability as not all LFS offer this. You may need to check around and make arrangements ahead of your scheduled moving day. Plants can be transported in bags too with some of the original aquarium water. You can maintain water temperature for your specimens by placing them (in their sealed bags) in a sealed cooler. If needed, add a hand warmer wrapped in newspaper so as to keep it from coming into direct contact with the bagged live specimen. I personally like to tape the warmer to the top of the cooler to assure it will not come into direct contact with the bags.

Moving Day

movetruck-png.411103

During the breakdown of your aquarium you’ll want to save as much of the water as you can (new water is better, but the amount needed will be determining factor). Depending on the size and amount of water, use 5-gallon buckets with lids or Brute trash cans with the casters to transport water. Reusing your water may aid in cutting down the cycling time once you restart your aquarium. You will also need to have some newly mixed saltwater ready at your new location – you will need it!!!

If you can, or shall I say if you have the time, now would be a good time to clean things like pumps, heaters, powerheads, and other equipment. Then pack everything the way you would pack your fine china set – you know, the one you never use.

For live rock, it's a good idea to try and keep it completely submerged in some of your aquarium water to minimize disruption of the bacteria colonies. You can actually add it to the same containers being used to transport your aquarium water. Again, this is all in an effort to reduce cycling time at the new location.

When moving the aquarium within your home, use the buckets as mentioned above. Leave enough water in the aquarium to fully cover the live-rock (if possible) and sand if you intend to reuse it (sand traps a lot of unwanted stuff, I recommend not reusing if at all possible). If you have to remove the live rock just keep it submerged as mentioned above. Although there is no need to pack your pumps and other equipment, you’ll want to keep them submerged in a container with some aquarium water.

Moved in at Last
Regardless of whether or not your new destination is within your existing home or a completely new location, you'll need to work expeditiously to get your aquarium operating again. Fill it with as much of the new water as you were able to make. Topping it off with whatever old saltwater you transported. You want to get your filtration, heaters and other equipment running as soon as possible. It's also not a bad idea to then add a bacterial additive to help accelerate any cycling that might happen. I would also recommend testing your water parameters to insure they are at acceptable levels (see Optimal Parameters for a Coral Reef Aquarium By Randy Holmes-Farley below) before adding any livestock. If parameters are at acceptable levels, start adding your livestock after proper acclimation.

Table 1. Parameters critical to control in reef aquaria.

1_zpsb08a1dd7.jpg

Table 2. Other parameters in reef aquaria that aquarists may want to control.

2_zps9dda7b81.jpg

These suggestions are designed to aid you and enhance your chances of a successful move. It takes planning and not just on the night before the move! Create your plan, create contingency plans, follow those plans and move expeditiously. Your reef depends on your execution of these tasks!

Nobody likes to move. And certainly nobody likes to move an aquarium. But if it has to be done, and you can’t call in sick, I hope these guidelines will help make that daunting task just a little more manageable.

Last edited by a moderator:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome bro! Thank you for the detailed article!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great work, bro!! Good solid info!

Reduck

^ His name is Trent
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great write up! I had to move my tank 20 feet last winter and just made a huge checklist with steps similar to yours..
It's all about the prep. That said, when we retire and move, it's going to be a lot worse as it will likely be a few thousand miles. So that plan is already being drawn up. Think foam insulated boxes for bagged livestock and FedEx!

R

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice article Alex - well written with great details. I only hope I never have to move!!!

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...Think foam insulated boxes for bagged livestock and FedEx!

This is a great point. We had an aquarist contact our local club to let us know he was moving in to our area. One of our members (who happened to have room available) offered to have him overnight his livestock to him and he would hold it until he arrived and got his system up and running. I'm not actually sure it ever happened, but I thought it was a great idea. So it's certainly worth exploring if you're moving to a new area.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I mean.
Now I can move finally but don't where too yet o_O

firstlight10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great write up but I have one thing to add:
If your moving more than a few hours plan on aeration for the bucket(s) containing your live stock. I run a medium sized air pump off a small invertor plugged into the cigarette lighter of my vehicle. I also have a couple battery powered air pumps.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for this _very_ timely article!

Zoey's Reef is about to be moved - across the room - so that I can upgrade to a larger box of water where it stands now. That's going to entail moving everybody twice in a relatively short timeframe . . .

~Bruce

OP
OP
143MPCo

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great write up but I have one thing to add:
If your moving more than a few hours plan on aeration for the bucket(s) containing your live stock. I run a medium sized air pump off a small invertor plugged into the cigarette lighter of my vehicle. I also have a couple battery powered air pumps.
Agree!!!

Battery powered air-pump are great for that, and a good fallback in a power failure issue.

OP
OP
143MPCo

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for this _very_ timely article!

Zoey's Reef is about to be moved - across the room - so that I can upgrade to a larger box of water where it stands now. That's going to entail moving everybody twice in a relatively short timeframe . . .

~Bruce
So you're going to do a full documentary on your move, we would love to see the process in action.

Last edited:

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wilco ... though the "move" is across the room!

Just got the word that the new tank is drained and ready for me to bring home ... will have to figure out a place to keep it for a week or two. I've got a few fish in the middle of a copper quarantine - my original plan was to finish them up, move them to DT, then take down the QT and put the DT in its spot while I build the 220 system - and brace the floor a bit more than it already is! (There's a partial concrete wall under one joist, but I'd like to ensure that a few more joists are better braced on either side of that . . . ) Will also apparently need to borrow some muscle to bring that glass box home!!

~Bruce

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the great info.... Moving next month out of state and was stressing over this...

StrangeDejavu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good timing. I'm moving Jan 7th (not looking forward to moving the tank at all) and i'm hoping it'll go smooth. I've moved freshwater tanks with no issue, but never a salt.

SBlisters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the great info.... Moving next month out of state and was stressing over this...
I'll be moving across yhe country next year and want to take my 30g reef and 20g fresh with me without killing anybody. I was thinking about doing a FedEx overnight instead of putting them in the moving truck... If you could, let me know what works and doesn't for your move?

Zero Nitrates

I love chalices
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great info! I'm moving across town. It's going to definitely be a daunting task. Moving a 120 reef, a 30 reef and a 20 freshwater. Been trying to think of everything we will need. Your write up really helps.

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be moving across yhe country next year and want to take my 30g reef and 20g fresh with me without killing anybody. I was thinking about doing a FedEx overnight instead of putting them in the moving truck... If you could, let me know what works and doesn't for your move?
I'll let you know. Problem I have is I am out of my current residence this coming weekend and not into the new house till the end of the month. Going to move the tank to a friend's nearby and then again in a few weeks to the new residence. So much stress. Hoping not to lose everything.
The 100 gallon is going in the moving truck, will be completely broken down and restarted. The 75 gallon reef is the one going to a friend's.
This has caused many sleepless nights. :(

Scubado63

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to move my tank to a new location in the house, My question is about rock, I have a super sugary sand right now and all my rock work is covered insode and out with it, it blows up if I look at it ...also has algae issues on some ... I am changing out all sand, but can I scrub the rock and rinse in saltwater, or will scrubbing it down cause an issue ... I am very nervous about the move, I have had the tank up about 2 years and everything that is in it I have had from almost the beginning .... Thanks

Back