ASM skimmer mesh-mod durability

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking about doing the mesh modification on m ASM G2 skimmer impellers. By all accounts it'll be a good move. My question is whether I'm just setting myself up for another maintenance job. In other words, once the modification is in place, will I have to replace the mesh frequently or does it hold up over time? Also, will I have to clean the impeller more frequently and, if so, does it simply involve dropping the impeller in vinegar for a soak?

I dismantle my pumps/impellers for cleaning about once every six weeks, so that part isn't a big deal. But, if every time I clean the skimmer impellers I have to replace the mesh, I'll have second thoughts about that modification.

Would appreciate any insight.

Gary

chadfarmer

profilux in the house
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a bunch of local did the mod on there asms and liked it (1 guy burned up his pump because of to much mesh)

i ran one on a euroreef for over 6 months no problem

OP
OP
gparr

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Chad. Just the kind of info I needed. Ordering up the mesh tonight.

On a side note, my daughter lives not too far from St. Charles. Is your tank a potential for photography the next time I visit?
Gary

msman825

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a G-2 modded and no problem with it in 2 years now. you zip tie the mesh on so you want replace it. the hard part for me was cutting the needles off a brand new impeller. if you put to much mesh on it the cover will not fit or the needle wheel want turn and no flow through it.

Back