Automatic, regular, unattended alkalinity monitoring

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rich this is like you said in your Neptune talk a god send for the LAZY Reefer.:) An we all know you are LAZY.:)

Alfrareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Balz3352 for the enlightenment. I'm new here and thought a equiment review by a member would be allowed like so many opinions everyone posts. Certainly it was something i didn't understood between posts.
Rgds

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, no actual equipment review is against the rules (unless it is being "reviewed" by the seller).

The concern with not posting such things here is likely that the reviewer may want to have it at a site that payed for the article. :)

Links to other sites are case by case. If they are content driven and appropriate, they are allowed, if they are done just to drive traffic elsewhere, they are not. :)

JonasRoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I´m not sure that I understand all of this but there is one more problem. If the value will be below 3.5 or higher than 10.5 - there will be an alarm. The ProfiLux will see this values as a defect probe! Theoretical - if we use the ideal slope of 56 mV/pH unit - the ProfiLux will se every measurement outside the range of 196 mV (pH 3.5) and below - 196 mV (pH 10.5) as defect probes

Sincerely Lasse

JonasRoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have roughly information, a time schedule? is it realistic to see this on market within a year? 2 years? never? before christmas?? etc...i understand you cannot say, but roughly....i am so curious:_)

GlassReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really cool and excellent work. I built myself an automated tester using a reagent from the "Total Alkalinity Test Kit 700010" sold by Orion. It works by mixing 1mL reagent and 1mL sample and then reading the result using a pH meter. The pH which was read is then converted to CaCO3 in ppm using a chart. My device worked pretty well but, I had to stop using it as the reagent was to expensive for me over the long run. I think it was around $90 per .5 liters or $200 for 2 liters - w/o shipping! The device described here by the OP looks very elegant. I'm definitely in, if I can afford it.

JonasRoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really cool and excellent work. I built myself an automated tester using a reagent from the "Total Alkalinity Test Kit 700010" sold by Orion. It works by mixing 1mL reagent and 1mL sample and then reading the result using a pH meter. The pH which was read is then converted to CaCO3 in ppm using a chart. My device worked pretty well but, I had to stop using it as the reagent was to expensive for me over the long run. The device described by the OP looks very elegant. I'm definitely in, if I can afford it.
Interesting, that is applying to the method that the Hanna checker apply. If i have understood this correct, this works as the pH will be well below pKa for H2CO3. In normal case it is not possible to calculate dKH from only pH as CO2(aq) also have to been measured. But with the reagens of Hanna, the pH is at start around 3.5 i think(?), creolgreen, and ends maybe around 4-5 after blend with aquarium water, and thus still it is below pka for H2CO3 and therefore the CO2(aq) will not interfere(correct me if i am wrong), and thus you can calculate in this special case the dKH from only pH. I have myself thoughts of building a machine on this principle. But the most elegant is maybe to make a titrant machine as i guess Jim´s is...but it is a little more complicated, with drip counters etc i guess...??.
Both way i think will work.
I am so impressed of this work of Jim...but really have to know the time schedule...because i cannot wait too long when i know this is reachable for us.

GlassReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I remember correctly, the pH of the reagent was around 3.2 or 3.3. I remember measuring it because I was going to try and see if using "normal" acid diluted to the correct pH would work. Unfortunately my health took a nosedive, at about that time, so I never got around to it. I didn't use drip counters, etc. I just used stepper motor driven tube pumps set at very slow speeds. Whole thing was driven by a fairly simple sketch on a Arduino Uno. Worked fine but, I'm sure it was nothing compared to what is being described in this thread.

Gotfrogs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jim - I am sure you already thought of this but two ideas came to mind after seeing your demo. Hopefully you pattent already covers these aspects.
1) The concept could be applied to any titration test (calcium and magnesium come to mind)
2) Not sure if it would be worth the added expense but an additional line for a reference solution could be added for self calibration

Congratulations on coming up with such a great invention. As with most good inventions the solution seems so obvious after seeing it. I hope it gets commercialized soon and make you lots of money. If it is sub $500 I will get one for sure.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 21 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 54 80.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • Other

Votes: 4 6.0%
Back