Automating Kalkreactor with Apex unit

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

SoCoFlyFisher

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am setting up a Precision Marine Kalkreactor for my Reefer 350 and wanted to know if there is a way to have the kalk solution be fed into the tank based on the pH probe readings with the Apex unit? For instance, set a min pH value where the pump adds kalk and a max where it shuts off the feed?

I currently use the Apex to monitor pH, salinity, ORP, and temperature with the Apex probes.

Thanks in advance for any help or recommendations.

Kevin

Waterjockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am setting up a Precision Marine Kalkreactor for my Reefer 350 and wanted to know if there is a way to have the kalk solution be fed into the tank based on the pH probe readings with the Apex unit? For instance, set a min pH value where the pump adds kalk and a max where it shuts off the feed?

I currently use the Apex to monitor pH, salinity, ORP, and temperature with the Apex probes.

Thanks in advance for any help or recommendations.

Kevin

Sure. I don't use a kalk reactor, so I don't know how they are maintained, but if you just want to run a pump based on PH level, there are if pH <> statements in the apex programming

If PH < 8.0 then ON
If pH > 8.3 then OFF

Just an example.....

OP
OP
SoCoFlyFisher

SoCoFlyFisher

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure. I don't use a kalk reactor, so I don't know how they are maintained, but if you just want to run a pump based on PH level, there are if pH <> statements in the apex programming

If PH < 8.0 then ON
If pH > 8.3 then OFF

Just an example.....

Waterjockey,

That is exactly what I am looking for.

I will dig through the Apex system and see where this program instructions are.

Thanks for your help.

re76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually just did this last weekend.

Basically I made a virtual outlet named needKalk with the following code:

Set OFF
If PH < 8.2 Then ON
Defer 010:00 then ON

Then I programmed my kalk pump with:

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Sw2 CLOSED Then ON
If Output LowSalt = ON Then OFF
If Output LeakDet = ON Then OFF
If Output NeedKalk = OFF Then OFF

And my regular ATO pump with:

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Sw2 CLOSED Then ON
If Output LowSalt = ON Then OFF
If Output LeakDet = ON Then OFF
If Output LimitATO = ON Then OFF
If Output NeedKalk = ON Then OFF

So in this scheme my ATO is triggered by a pressure sensor that is on Sw2. If my ph is low it does the top off with kalk, otherwise it will use regular RODI water.

LowSalt and LeakDet are virtual outlets that are set to be ON when my salinity is low or one of my leak sensors are tripped. In either case I don't want to be running any type of ATO in those scenarios...

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One question is ph a good way of determinating the Alk/ Ca needs of your tank? Assuming you are dosing Kalk to supplement these and not just balance PH to a set point. I can see the scenario where you end up under or overdosing, an example of this would be if the CO2 levels in your tank room changed this could effect ph independent of the Alk useage..and hence how much Kalk was dosed. Better to determine your daily Kalk usage and then use your apex to dose this amount at whatever time and intervals you set.

re76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am speaking totally from personal experience, and I am by no means an expert.

That being said I have found it REALLY hard to overdose kalk in a way that the elevated Calcium and Alkalinity values become a problem before the elevated PH is an issue. But I test alkalinity and calcium several times a week so even if I do see it creeping up I can just do a water change and get things back to a pretty normal level.

For me the benefit of having a stable elevated PH is more desirable than having elevated Alk/Ca. Granted everyone's tank is going to have different CA and Alk consumption rates, so this isn't a perfect solution for everyone but for someone who has battled low PH for a while, kalk has been awesome for keeping my CA and Alk steady, while also letting me use it as a tool to hold my PH at a really stable elevated value.

I also have a CO2 scrubber which is on a 3-way 24VDC controlled solenoid valve that I can also use to modulate the PH of my tank via my apex.

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am speaking totally from personal experience, and I am by no means an expert.

That being said I have found it REALLY hard to overdose kalk in a way that the elevated Calcium and Alkalinity values become a problem before the elevated PH is an issue. But I test alkalinity and calcium several times a week so even if I do see it creeping up I can just do a water change and get things back to a pretty normal level.

For me the benefit of having a stable elevated PH is more desirable than having elevated Alk/Ca. Granted everyone's tank is going to have different CA and Alk consumption rates, so this isn't a perfect solution for everyone but for someone who has battled low PH for a while, kalk has been awesome for keeping my CA and Alk steady, while also letting me use it as a tool to hold my PH at a really stable elevated value.

I also have a CO2 scrubber which is on a 3-way 24VDC controlled solenoid valve that I can also use to modulate the PH of my tank via my apex.

Cool, you obviously have great experience with Kalk and ph, and have a solution that works well, I'm just very cautious and it appeared to me that the OP may not be that experienced.

re76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, you obviously have great experience with Kalk and ph, and have a solution that works well, I'm just very cautious and it appeared to me that the OP may not be that experienced.

You have a really good point. SoCoFlyFisher you should be careful using this method to control ph if you don't have a reasonable amount of coral in your tank that are going to help keep you Ca and Alk in a good place.

Let me know if you have any questions along the way. I would heed the warning that Mortie31 is offering and be sure to keep a very close eye on your water parameters are you are setting this up.

OP
OP
SoCoFlyFisher

SoCoFlyFisher

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to both of you for this information.

I was concerned regarding using pH as the method for the exact reasons Mortie31 listed. In the winter where I live the CO2 in the house is higher vs summer, so pH changes will vary affecting kalk dosage. I was also concerned with the delay from when the kalk is added until the Apex sensor picks up the change in pH

For now to dose the kalkwasser, I will do via replacing top off water. I am using this method right now gravity feed from an ATO tank but manually mixing the kalk into the top off water; I have purchased a Tunze ATO sensor unit and will use this connected to the Kalkreactor. Evaporation is pretty regular due to the low humidity here in the Rockies, so feed rate is steady.

I will definitely watch water parameters while running this setup.

Kevin

Jaculus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I previously ran Kalk and the Calcium Reactor but I took it off line when I got my Calcium Reactor setup. I grow a TON of macro algae each week in my 125 gal sump/refugium running on a 24 hour on cycle. So my ph levels are on the low side (7.8 to 7.9) and now my Calcium Reactor is not keeping up with the higher demands of my system now that I have added more SPS. When I ran the Kalk Reactor before I just had a simple code to only run it when the ph was lower than 8.2 (or 8.3). But now that I am hooking up the Kalk Reactor again , I stole your code above and like the virtual outlet idea. Its working well now.

By the way though I think the code should be something like

If Outlet NeedKalk = OFF Then OFF (you have "Output")

re76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I previously ran Kalk and the Calcium Reactor but I took it off line when I got my Calcium Reactor setup. I grow a TON of macro algae each week in my 125 gal sump/refugium running on a 24 hour on cycle. So my ph levels are on the low side (7.8 to 7.9) and now my Calcium Reactor is not keeping up with the higher demands of my system now that I have added more SPS. When I ran the Kalk Reactor before I just had a simple code to only run it when the ph was lower than 8.2 (or 8.3). But now that I am hooking up the Kalk Reactor again , I stole your code above and like the virtual outlet idea. Its working well now.

By the way though I think the code should be something like

If Outlet NeedKalk = OFF Then OFF (you have "Output")

In the new apex Output is the preferred method. I believe outlet is depreciated. If I try to use outlet it gets changed to output automatically when I upload via fusion.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back