AV99's custom 600g Reef Savvy on site build-Lots of pictures

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It has been a few years in the making, but when my wife and I decided to move to our forever house in the Summer of 2013, we encountered a small problem...the only way I could fit my dream reef aquarium into our new house was to build the entire project on site in my basement. Somehow I was able to convince Reef Savvy to close up shop for two weeks and fly up to Ohio from Miami, Fla. to build my dream tank.

I would like to start off this journey by thanking all the people/businesses who played such an important role in the process, including, but not limited to the following:

Felix Bordon and the entire Reef Savvy team (Miami, FL);
Raymond from ReefTop Aquariums (Miami, FL);
Chris Benner of Sticks N Stones/Benner's Woodworking (Lebanon, OH);
Jeff Macare of Reef Dynamics (Phoenix, AZ);
Brian Harnisch of Titan Aquatic Exhibits (Phoenix, AZ);
George Weber of Geo's Reef (Newark, OH);
Joe Reno of Marine Solutions (Waynesville, OH);
Jenn & Jeremy Embry of Aquarium Artisans (Cincinnati, OH).

Measuring 96″L X 48″W X 30″H, this Reef Savvy tank was delivered sheet by sheet and pieced together on top of the stand which was built and assembled on site by Chris Benner. Once all was said and done, the 600-gallon tank featured three sides of low iron glass, a double Phantom bottom, black powder coated aluminum bracing around the top and bottom, and a dual 24″ Ghost Overflows.

600gallon_zpsdc0419c6.jpg

The tank is still not fully set up and loaded with SPS corals just yet, but my frag tank growout system is literally bursting at the seams. When complete, my new system will have a total water volume of around 1,000 gallons, SPS dominant all the way.

Last edited:

josh4107

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow this is going to be amazing!! I've bought stuff off of you at frag swaps the last few years (kuhny11) and you always have top quality stuff so I'm sure this tank will be no different. Can't wait to see this thing up and running. Good luck and look forward to more pics!

OP
OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Part 1- Building the foundation. Everything must first fit through a small drywall cut whole in my basement wall!!!

AAAAindex_zpsbutcce1y.jpg

Part 2- The stand. First built at the factory by Chris Benner, then assembled in my basement, piece by piece with attention to detail every step of the way.

stand1_zps66fd7146.jpg
stand2_zps326e2f21.jpg
PB112544_zps6f04559d.jpg
stand5.jpg
12.jpg
13.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you very much and glad to share my journey with you.

Wow this is going to be amazing!! I've bought stuff off of you at frag swaps the last few years (kuhny11) and you always have top quality stuff so I'm sure this tank will be no different. Can't wait to see this thing up and running. Good luck and look forward to more pics!

OP
OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh yes, one of the final pieces of the puzzle is almost complete and pictures will follow when the light rack system is installed.

Nice to see this one is coming together. I heard the lighting system is going to be nothing short of epic. Any previews of those you can share?

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 168 62.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 25.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 70 25.9%
Back