AV99's custom 600g Reef Savvy on site build-Lots of pictures

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get asked this question a lot and when you shut down a very successful 400g SPS system and move to a new house, you need a large landing pad for transition while your dream 600g tank (1,000g + total water volume system) is being built on site.

This is the other side of my basement, featuring 99.99% acropora sticks collected from all around our planet growing out in pristine SPS conditions right here in O-H-I-O. I am addicted to the colorful sticks. Hardcore and very passionate hobbyist. I feel bad about keeping some of my prized fish in a smaller grow-out system over the past few years during construction of my new system, but they should have a much larger home soon, when my dream system is finally complete.

Great pics, looks like a lot of work getting those tanks set up!

OP
OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Update: We are flying @Reef Savvy up to Ohio for a third visit over the Christmas holiday. Felix will be bringing his entire family up for this trip and hopefully the kids will get to play in the snow as well, weather permitting.

To make a long story short, I decided to remove the existing ghost overflows originally built for my 600g Reef Savvy tank and replace them with a true custom glass overflow system that was designed and built by Felix himself. Reef Savvy and crew will arrive in Ohio on Christmas Day and return back to sunny South Florida on New Year's Day. After working with Felix and family on this project over the past few years, they really have become extended family and this trip will be a combination of work and a vacation for Felix and family. And the custom glass overflow Felix built for my display tank is absolutely stunning! Many more updates to follow. Stay tuned!

Jesus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Part 1- Building the foundation. Everything must first fit through a small drywall cut whole in my basement wall!!!
AAAAindex_zpsbutcce1y.jpg

Part 2- The stand. First built at the factory by Chris Benner, then assembled in my basement, piece by piece with attention to detail every step of the way.

Looks like an awsome project Tim I just have two questions and excuse my ignorance I'm sure you planned for this already. First: are you going to trust more than 3 tons of wait on 8 standing 4×4's because I don't see the inner 1×4'S supporting any weight since they aren't even notched to the 4x4's and neither are the 2x4's in the center. Second: It's a 4ft wide tank I hope You're not planning to put it against a wall I have a 3ft wide tank and I have a hard time every time I want to reach or move anything in the rear

Elgreco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First class takes time, patience and a well thought out design. This is an incredible build and it is an absolute joy to go through the process of progression to the fulfillment of a modern day reef. I will enjoy following this thread progression in the years to come.....Thanks!

OP
OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Jesus, I have been told by my commercial stand builder, Chris Benner, that my stand would literally hold and support the floors above it so I have no concerns whatsoever. He also stated the stand could support the weight of a bus on top of it as well. My display tank will have plenty of access from the rear as well and will not be placed against any wall.

Looks like an awsome project Tim I just have two questions and excuse my ignorance I'm sure you planned for this already. First: are you going to trust more than 3 tons of wait on 8 standing 4×4's because I don't see the inner 1×4'S supporting any weight since they aren't even notched to the 4x4's and neither are the 2x4's in the center. Second: It's a 4ft wide tank I hope You're not planning to put it against a wall I have a 3ft wide tank and I have a hard time every time I want to reach or move anything in the rear

OP
OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks so much for the kind words, Elgreco. Patience is of paramount importance to this build. Just like building an amazing SPS reef, nothing good happens overnight or when you rush things in this hobby. I have made some very costly design changes after the initial build as well but you really only get one chance to get it right the first time. For example, removing the ghost overflows for something I prefer much better cost me a small fortune but in the end, I will be very pleased with the changes going forward.

First class takes time, patience and a well thought out design. This is an incredible build and it is an absolute joy to go through the process of progression to the fulfillment of a modern day reef. I will enjoy following this thread progression in the years to come.....Thanks!

Last edited:
OP
OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Next Up: Complete Custom External Overflow designed & built by Reef Savvy for my 600g display tank. ;)

Felix and crew will be making a third visit to my house in Ohio very soon to install my new custom glass external overflow. We are very excited!!! More pictures to follow, stay tuned! Thank you very much!!! @Reef Savvy

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does that go the whole length of the tank? That honestly looks amazing I bet ur super excited. When u start this tank are u going to use ur old live rocks or are u going to start fresh?

OP
OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Agreed. It is my crown jewel and a custom tank of this size with all the extra features really deserves an over-the-top external overflow too. :)

That overflow is a Jewel!
In the pure definition of the word

The external overflow is 6 feet long if I recall, not the whole length. And I will be using all new rock for the build. More pictures to follow on the rock selection too.

Does that go the whole length of the tank? That honestly looks amazing I bet ur super excited. When u start this tank are u going to use ur old live rocks or are u going to start fresh?

Thank you for the amazing compliment! This type of overflow is completely custom. I will share installation pictures with you too!

Wow.....I hope they decide to produce this for 48" and 72" tanks!! (Yeah, in my dreams) I suppose those would only need one overflow though. Very impressive, can't wait to see it installed!

billw

Acroholic in Training
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. It is my crown jewel and a custom tank of this size with all the extra features really deserves an over-the-top external overflow too. :)

The external overflow is 6 feet long if I recall, not the whole length. And I will be using all new rock for the build. More pictures to follow on the rock selection too.

Thank you for the amazing compliment! This type of overflow is completely custom. I will share installation pictures with you too!
You won't regret your decision to go with a Felix custom. I started out thinking dual ghost on my 8' tank and ended up with a custom external box with 2x20" weirs ( limited by a center brace) cut into the back panel after discussing it with Felix. Extremely happy with that decision. Felix builds great overflow boxes, probably stronger than the tanks themselves! :)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Next Up: Complete Custom External Overflow designed & built by Reef Savvy for my 600g display tank. ;)

Felix and crew will be making a third visit to my house in Ohio very soon to install my new custom glass external overflow. We are very excited!!! More pictures to follow, stay tuned! Thank you very much!!! @Reef Savvy

This is just crazy awesome!

OP
OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Glad you are very pleased with your Reef Savvy external overflow too. :)

You won't regret your decision to go with a Felix custom. I started out thinking dual ghost on my 8' tank and ended up with a custom external box with 2x20" weirs ( limited by a center brace) cut into the back panel after discussing it with Felix. Extremely happy with that decision. Felix builds great overflow boxes, probably stronger than the tanks themselves! :)

I would have it no other way than crazy awesomeness! Thanks again for following along.

This is just crazy awesome!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back