Baby RED fungia plate corals! NEW UPDATE!!! JULY 1st!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well I don't normally tell what I spend, but I have to as part of my story. It just makes it better. Well about 1 1/2 years ago I decided I wanted a ref plate coral bad! I found one, but the price was a shocking $500. I had never spent that much for one coral but I had to have it! I sold some frags to pay for it and the wife okayed it. Here is what it looked like when I got it.

444.jpg

445.jpg

Well about 4-5 months ago or somewhere around then, the plate begin to die. :( My wife was so upset to say the least and my reefing buddies made fun. What are friends for? I for one was upset as well. I had heard stories of plate corals dying and then weeks later reproducing so with hopes held high I left the bare, ugly, skeleton that once was my red plate in the tank.

During the next few weeks my wife would ask me why it was still in their and my reef buddies continued to poke fun but I just couldnt let it go. Well after about 4 weeks or so I noticed a few little red spots on the coral. At first I thought it might have been some type of algae, but noticed later that low and behold these might be baby plate corals.

Long story short, I counted the other day and I have at least 80+ red baby plate corals growing and actually probably closer to 100! Many of them have now formed a mouth and all of them have feeder tentacles. They are red, and a few are the brightest red I have seen of any corals to date! I am super excited and I will get some pics as soon as I can. I know I said I would before, but I will I promise. I wanted to start a thread on this so I could document the process. I am going to start feeding them like crazy!

I guess as they get big enough do you think they will pop off? No way 100 baby plates can all grow up on the mama skeleton.

Pretty good investment huh? :D

firsttime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rev, looks like finally it worked. Remember I told you to hold on to it and that Iwill come back. The same thing happened to me with a regular plate. You are lucky that it happend on a red plate. As they grow the mouths will combine. So after you get them to be sizeable I would recomend spliting them.

JR's Reef

Joey08
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! There is a good chance that when it does dropa baby it will start a new one in its place. I want one when they get big enough.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice plate... any idea what caused it to die?

I like your math, I'll take a baby red plate for $5. ;)

I am not sure what caused it to die, except the fact that we moved and it changed tanks twice within a couple months. I didnt look after the tank well either.

$5 huh? LOL! My wife is already has money symbols in her eyes! :moneygrubber: LOL! My wife deserves it though with all the money I have spent.

You will never find a red plate as cheap as I am going to sell them though.

In due time grasshopper.

Cant wait to see some baby pics!!! Looks like you will have the last laugh :)

Oh yea I am already laughing! :D

Last edited by a moderator:

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
will be following this closely, if They are that prolific at reproducing, plates should be coming way down in price.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Rev, looks like finally it worked. Remember I told you to hold on to it and that Iwill come back. The same thing happened to me with a regular plate. You are lucky that it happend on a red plate. As they grow the mouths will combine. So after you get them to be sizeable I would recomend spliting them.

So how many realistically do you think I can get? BTW THANK YOU for your advice!

Very nice! There is a good chance that when it does dropa baby it will start a new one in its place. I want one when they get big enough.

I hope so bro and yes there should be plenty for most everyone that wants one.

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice plate... any idea what caused it to die?

I like your math, I'll take a baby red plate for $5. ;)
It seems as if plates have to die to reproduce. So everyone who had a fungia die on them caused the theory that plate are hard to keep, when really all they were doing was propagating themselves.

Last edited:
OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
will be following this closely, if They are that prolific at reproducing, plates should be coming way down in price.

Well from my understanding this is not very common. Especially when dealing with a red or ultra colored plate. Actually first I have heard of. I am sure there are more, but not too many.

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well from my understanding this is not very common. Especially when dealing with a red or ultra colored plate. Actually first I have heard of. I am sure there are more, but not too many.
The reason its so rare is that most sane :wink: people take the plate out once it dies lol, No reason to keep it in before. I'm sure if people keep their plates after death, this will become more common..

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
congrats Rev... looking forward to seeing pics... :)

btw, hook a brotha up... ;)

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Mallard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitively looking forward to pics. Please put me down your reserved list if you're putting one together.

ReeferRob

Give me your Brains!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this is the official list kicking of here, remember your boys up in Michigan!!

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
LOL! NO LIST YET!!!!

I will do that once they grow a little more. I will definitely keep all my R2R members at the top of the list, especially those that contribute to the forums.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back