Baby RED fungia plate corals! NEW UPDATE!!! JULY 1st!

nuff40

returningaddict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Add me to the want list as well. Found the thread today and it raised hopes for my plate that died last month. Did not remove the skeleton although some xenia is growing on it....so going to watch it with great hopes and expectation!

jabberkaycee

Aquatic Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard of this happening but have never seen it - thanks for sharing! If you taking a list, please count me in!

melev

Avid Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the latest with this coral, David? Let's see some pictures.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well bad news is that I have lost a lot of them for no apparent reason. The good news is I have about 25-30 and I am hoping it will grow more. I will get some pics and you can see where the little skeletons are. The flesh would just let go and wash away.

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have some local reefers where you can spread them around to give them a good chance?

CJ

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow crazy thread. And 16 pages before pics, what a tease. Thank god I just found this thread, instead of waiting in pain for pics.

Awesome stuff though. Would love to see the current pics.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I actually counted about 40. I can't spread them around since they are still connected to the mother.

melev

Avid Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are going to have to frag up the colony to avoid losing more babies. What happens is the overcrowd the skeleton, so some let go in hopes of living elsewhere while the others left behind get a little more space.

td-7.jpg

You can see them in this picture, filling in.

deepwater-1.jpg

SteezySPS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting how they reproduce. Wondering why it's so rare in this hobby or if it's just a rare morph. A guy at my lfs said if i break a tiny part of the skeleton it'll sprout a new baby but I could never do that to one of my favorite pieces

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the update on the plate.. I am attracted to the mystery of the way these corals reproduce.. it's almost bizarre! Reminds me of charlotte's web of all things.. maybe I am just the bizarre one.

SeeingGreen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one, not a red, that got hit by a starfish early on. It died back in that spot but grew out babies. As was mentioned before, crowding is a killer.

On a side note, I had one that while healthy, flipped over because there were babies growing on the under-side. They grew full stalks though (only about 5 months time) and were able to be fragged loose.

If you have noticed a stem on the base of a large one, I had one of those break off of an adult plate, and even that grew a new one... Crazy how they reproduce themselves isn't it?

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you tried popping any off of the skeleton Rev? Once they're about the size of a nickel/quarter you should be able to remove them from the skeleton and have them survive, also making room for more babies to form.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They are still smaller than a dine, actually half the size. :( I guess the crowding has been the killer.

SD Actuary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well just spent the better half of my work day reading about this, awesome story. Keep me on the list when you are ready to sell them! Good luck with the growing! :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 33.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back