This is day 3.. no air, no top off.. Nothing

14632644643701319404477.jpg

authentic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have started dosing h2o2 after reading this thread,thanks for al, of the work.I'm starting to notice bubbles on my rock that weren't there before dosing,is this expected?also have two or three areas of red mats that are really attached to the rock,even using a toothbrush doesn't help much,would this be more likely spirulina?

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have started dosing h2o2 after reading this thread,thanks for al, of the work.I'm starting to notice bubbles on my rock that weren't there before dosing,is this expected?also have two or three areas of red mats that are really attached to the rock,even using a toothbrush doesn't help much,would this be more likely spirulina?
Those red mats that are holding on is more than likely algae if it is hard to remove with a toothbrush.
I think in time with the h2o2 it may go away.
Yes about the air bubbles but I have to ask how much you are dosing and what is your total volume. H2O2 will make organics bubble but seeing it on the rocks points me to a direction of too much h2o2.

scfurse77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started my peroxide dosing tonight. I'll let you know how it goes. [emoji85]

Well I'm on the 4th day and haven't seen any changes yet with the Cyano I've dosed 6 times so far. So once Thursday night when I started twice Friday and Saturday and once so far today. When should I start seeing this stuff go away?

Here is some pics of what it looks like as of today. I'll keep dosing and keep updating pics.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1463345741.290140.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1463345763.404539.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1463345784.722745.jpg

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7 days and you should see cyanobacteria start to diminish. (If it is cyanobacteria )
Also how much are you dosing?

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 2 complete and no changes to mats. Although tank is very clear and back glass is getting clearer without me having to scrape it. Front and sides clear and nothing developing on it.

Tests are the same as yesterday

cowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You should already see a change in the mats, if a toothbrush is not affecting whats on the rock than most likely its going to be a macroalgae or coraline algae (calcium based algae). Also if you dont see any change in you mat one of two things is happening either its not cyano and its spirulina, or you are feeding your algae via nutrient source weather its the sand or your food all together.
For now lets get some pictures with whites up so we can see the color and texture.
Well I'm on the 4th day and haven't seen any changes yet with the Cyano I've dosed 6 times so far. So once Thursday night when I started twice Friday and Saturday and once so far today. When should I start seeing this stuff go away?

Here is some pics of what it looks like as of today. I'll keep dosing and keep updating pics.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1463345741.290140.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1463345763.404539.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1463345784.722745.jpg
You should already be seeing some changes in your mats. At the proper dosage I have not experimented on lower volumes of H2O2 if you figure 1 mil per 10 gallons has a large effect on bacteria in a system where is that threshold to where its no longer effective. Also insure that you are not feeding the bacteria. And lets get a pic of the tank with higher whites so I might be able to get a better understanding of what you are looking at.

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just as a reminder of what cyanobacteria looks like.
this is image is of one of my propagating colonies
cyanobacteria.png

cowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is spirulina a nuisance?will it overtake?

It can create a a dense mat and over take an area. The mats in this picture are confirmed spirulina.
1463351250177-81599978.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back