barbed adapter for Red Sea Reefer 250

lumpy63

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, New guy here. I'm trying to adapt my 16mm (5/8") ID return hose on my new Red Sea Reefer 250 to the 3/4" or 1/2" output barb on the Jebao dct 4000 return pump that I bought. Does anyone know of a way to do this using parts that are available readily in the US? I tried Home Depot and Sprinkler World, as well as two plumbing supply houses, and the only thing I found was a 5/8" to 1/2" white plastic barbed adapter at Home Depot. It says it is good for 150 psi, but I'm not sure how well it works with salt water. Thanks for any help you can provide.

reefm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Jebao dct4000 comes with a stepped plastic barb connector that can be trimmed to properly fit the standard Reefer 250 hose, no extra parts needed. I do the same with a dct4000 on my Reefer 350

OP
OP
lumpy63

lumpy63

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The barb on the dct 4000 appeared to be either too small (1/2") or too large (3/4"). I'll see if I can 'persuade' it to go on the 3/4" section of the barb. Thanks for the help!

reefm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the barb should have several steps, pick the one that lets the hose barely slide over it and secure it with a plastic clamp.

PS. dip the end of the hose in hot water to make it slide over the barb easier.

Last edited:
OP
OP
lumpy63

lumpy63

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess i am surprised Red Sea didnt use a size more commonly available, when they sell in the USA; 18mm would have easily adapted to 3/4" barbs. I was able to heat up the 16mm tube and get it over the 3/4 barb, but i dont think i should have had to. Just my 2 cents.

MrSkumfrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an old post; however, it may come useful for someone else.
I had issues finding a barbed hose adapter that would fit my Sicce and the Red Sea hose. I checked all the big box stores in the plumbing and sprinkler isle. I accidently found the correct piece at Lowes by the water heater components and bilge pumps.

naturalEhy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an old post; however, it may come useful for someone else.
I had issues finding a barbed hose adapter that would fit my Sicce and the Red Sea hose. I checked all the big box stores in the plumbing and sprinkler isle. I accidently found the correct piece at Lowes by the water heater components and bilge pumps.
Do you have a pic or maybe a link to what you found?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back