Beginner Corals: Pulsing Xenia

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beginner Corals: Pulsing Xenia

Beginners in this hobby are often looking for a great coral to start with. They want something easy to care for, that will grow quickly and be beautiful. You can’t ask for a coral that hits all those notes better than the pulsing xenia. You may wonder why some people will swear to never put xenia in their displays ever again, and we will touch on that in a bit.

In the wild, the Xeniias spread across a large area from the east coast of Africa all the way to the Central Pacific. Usually found in turbulent, clean, shallow water, it often does well in most aquariums and in most situations. There are many species of Xenia in the wild and a good portion of them can actually be found in the hobby. Most of which tend to be found on live rock as a hitch hiker with a select few being the most common in the actual trade for sale. Xenia Umbellata (pom-pom xenia), Xenia Elongata, Efflatounaria, Sansibia, Cespitularia, Anthelia and Sympodium to name a few. While there are something like 60 species in this genus, we will mostly look at the genus as a whole.
xenia-d-jpg.481524

For the most part, you’ll find mainly the Umbellata and Elongata species of Xenia in the stores for sale. It’s hardy and grows quickly, to the point of being invasive in some tanks. I have personally seen this coral grow over slower growing SPS corals like montipora effectively killing it as it does. This is a coral that can be shorn completely off a rock and still grow back. Some people report difficulty with keeping xenia in their tank, when asked, they report running a very low nutrient system (meaning very low levels of phosphates and zero nitrates) though that is certainly not the only reason xenia would do poorly, so if you lose your xenia suddenly you shouldn’t automatically assume that you don’t have enough nutrients in the system. There have also been reports of people losing their entire colony of xenia in mass only for it to start growing, again, in new areas around the tank. The reason for this is not completely known but speculated as a way to reproduce and expand to a wider area.

Placement of xenia is a matter of personal preference. If you love the look of it and want it to spread to large portions of your display, then place it low on the rock structure and watch it go. Now, if you would prefer it stay contained, then I would recommend you place it on a rock island by itself. You’ll have to make sure the xenia can’t reach any nearby rocks since if it can touch it, it can spread to it. Xenia can be kept in low to medium light and a wide variety of flow types, from almost none to medium-high flow. In my experience, flow has a lot to do with how your xenia looks. Higher flow is going cause your xenia to stretch out a bit more and not pulse as much. Lower flow will have it pack a little closer together and pulse more. That’s just my experience and I have pictures to show what I mean. Note that these xenia came from the same colony and the same tank. I took the ones in the first picture from the group in the second picture about 6 months ago.

Photos by: melypr1985
With medium to high flow:
xenia-b-jpg.481525

With Low to almost no flow:
xenia-c-jpg.481526

Fragging xenia is very simple. Get a sharp blade, grab ahold of a stalk and drag the blade in one clean cut through the bottom of the stalk near the rock. The flesh left behind will grow into more xenia stalks. The freshly cut pieces should be loosely rubber banded to a rock or frag plug and it will attach itself over the course of a week or two. Trying to glue a soft coral like this often doesn’t go well since the coral will slime up where the cut happened or the glue was applied and just slip off the mound of glue and attach elsewhere in the tank. If you are wanting to ship these frags, I’ve had the best luck when they are not exposed to air before being put in a bag. I bag them without air at all, like you might with a sponge. Moving them from one tank to another doesn’t seem to cause any issues and I believe that is because of the volume of water in the tank vs the small volume of water in a shipping bag. I first learned of this method when speaking to Mike Peletta about it a year ago, and it hasn’t failed me yet when having xenia shipped to the store from wholesalers.

Photo by: melypr1985 Yup, that's xenia attached to a snail. It's xenia snail!
xenia-a-jpg.481528

The ability of Xenia to uptake nutrients and look beautiful at the same time has prompted a few people to use it in a refugium. A low-flow refugium can have a small bit of live rock with a frag of xenia attached and in short order, the whole refugium will be covered in pulsing, swaying xenia. It’s actually a very elegant way to keep xenia, lower nutrients and have something different that others just don’t have. It’s also easy enough to “prune” or frag it out by scraping it off the glass and running clean cuts to separate the pieces into frags that can be sold or traded into your LFS for store credit. That’s a refugium that can pay you back. Here is a short video by a Troy V of his xenia refugium.

All in all, Xenia is a great starter coral, but should be added to your tank with caution. It’s ability to spread quickly can be a draw or allow it to smother out other, slower growing corals. If placed carefully, it’s possible to have xenia in your display without worrying that it will take over the whole tank. It has the ability to uptake nutrients well enough to be kept in a refugium and be productive. It’s a good choice for several reasons, but you’ll find many seasoned reefers who will never keep it in their display ever again and for good reasons of their own.
xenia-e-jpg.481531

patfat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome the Xenia snail!! But true I would never put in my tank..my brother in law has it in his tank in a matter of months it he has patches all on one side as small bunches keep moving he swears to take it all out but his wife loves it so he's in a pickle hah

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome the Xenia snail!! But true I would never put in my tank..my brother in law has it in his tank in a matter of months it he has patches all on one side as small bunches keep moving he swears to take it all out but his wife loves it so he's in a pickle hah

finally! Somebody mentions the snail! He's so awesome and a total accident after an employee at the store tried to glue xenia frags, which obviously didn't work and they randomly attached all over the tank. lol

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you guys/gals didn't notice, I'm against xenia in the display except for certain circumstances. We have a softy tank that is full of leathers, zoas, gorgs and xenia. It's awesome there. The flow is a little higher than the xenia would probably like, but it looks great in that situation. I wouldn't put it in my own display either. Of course, when I first started it was absolutely in that first ten gallon tank and did amazing. It helped me learn quite a bit about corals.

patfat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
finally! Somebody mentions the snail! He's so awesome and a total accident after an employee at the store tried to glue xenia frags, which obviously didn't work and they randomly attached all over the tank. lol

Definitely awesome!! I find it so interesting when things like that happen..at my LFS there was a nem on a Mexican turbo snail i wanted to buy it but they were trying to way over charge saying it was some thing special that is rarely seen

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely awesome!! I find it so interesting when things like that happen..at my LFS there was a nem on a Mexican turbo snail i wanted to buy it but they were trying to way over charge saying it was some thing special that is rarely seen

Ha! I'm not selling mine at all. I might, but it would take some serious charm. lol

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't get the problem people have with them. The point of having any coral is to let it grow. It is a rapid grower and fun to watch pulse. I know they can get into pumps and filters. I could see that being a problem, but the general aesthetic is great! Pulse on ☺

20170217_182624.jpg

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't get the problem people have with them. The point of having any coral is to let it grow. It is a rapid grower and fun to watch pulse. I know they can get into pumps and filters. I could see that being a problem, but the general aesthetic is great! Pulse on ☺

20170217_182624.jpg

Beautiful!

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful!
Thank you. My second coral. If you can believe it. That is 11 months old. Still on the same frag. Never grew in my 20g surrounded by LR. Waiting to get the frag glued down in the the 40B once the 15lbs of LR is cured that I nuked. Stupid aiptasia.. Haha
ATI front to back B+,C+,B+, True actinic. The other pic is just the 2xBlue+ that was posted
20170217_175210.jpg

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't get the problem people have with them. The point of having any coral is to let it grow. It is a rapid grower and fun to watch pulse. I know they can get into pumps and filters. I could see that being a problem, but the general aesthetic is great! Pulse on [emoji5]

20170217_182624.jpg
While this is true (and I personally love them) they are best suited for a softy only tank. I had them take over 1/2 of my old 125g (in 4 months!] and had to give it away along with all the rock it was on.

patfat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20170217_182624.jpg

True very true. dont get me wrong its a very nice coral and it pulse is awesome to watch.. but its just like green star polyps if you dont control it, it can get out of control..of course yes its coral and its supposed to grow but maybe its just that im lazy and I want to deal with the slow growers HAH! but your little mound looks nice!

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another great article. Keep em coming @melypr1985 !
I've had my experience with anthelia, which made me feel like a coral expert when I first started before I knew the takeover was real. Lol. All banished to the fuge. But, apparently left some cells on main rock structure so it's coming back. Plan to prune it off this week to keep it under control.
Here's my fuge before I was fortunate enough to have it melt away. Whew.
IMG_4472.JPG

Water Wings

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone only a few months in to their first saltwater tank I still love the green star polyp and pulsing xenia. That being said I have read enough to keep mine isolated on their own island. Seeing a fuge full of xenia is something I've never seen before and is something I'm seriously thinking about as I watch my xenia split and grow.

Love the coral, but I am scared of what it's capable of. If I can keep it contained in the fuge I just might keep it around.

Thanks for the article.

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recently put in an order for some ORA xenias. I've kept all the various types of coral before but nothing seems to beat the simple xenias. One glance at the tank and you know that they are living organisms because of their pulsing nature. Most people tend to ask if my sticks are alive or just plastic ornaments :(.

One of the things I like about the pulsing xenia is their rapid growth rate. Xenia more than likely get a majority of their nutrients from absorption across their soft tissue body parts and so because they grow fast, they absorb a lot of excess nutrients in the tank. They probably don't out compete the macro algaes but they definitely contribute to some degree, especially when you have a ton of xenia.

Back