OP
OP
tutmatt3

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I did...I picked live rock from their fish display tanks...for $8 per pound, I figured I should get what I want :)
Ok, very good to know that that is a possibility. Man.. Nervous about doing it but also feel like it might be the right thing to do -_-

Bassett22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
remember, you can contact local reefers and find someone who is breaking down a tank and go cherry pick some live rock from them, sure there is risk in getting a bad hitchhiker, but your going to be dealing with that risk once you start adding corals anyway. If you dont add rock, thats cool too, I just love seeing micro brittle stars, feather dusters, stomatella snails, collonista snails, all the various pods and stuff that CANT buy that will really help the tank.

OP
OP
tutmatt3

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
remember, you can contact local reefers and find someone who is breaking down a tank and go cherry pick some live rock from them, sure there is risk in getting a bad hitchhiker, but your going to be dealing with that risk once you start adding corals anyway. If you dont add rock, thats cool too, I just love seeing micro brittle stars, feather dusters, stomatella snails, collonista snails, all the various pods and stuff that CANT buy that will really help the tank.
ahhhh I know I know.
As much as I want to, I think I'm actually going to avoid it.

I have a cousin who I can grab a rock from him, but still I'd rather be as safe as I can with introduction of possible pests.

I know it'll happen w/ coral, but at least (should) be easier for this noob to inspect :D. Rocks have too many holes! hah

klesel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look on Craigslist you can ding frags of stuff cheep and some of the easy stuff people just give away because it grows so fast or just wanting to up grade just dip it

OP
OP
tutmatt3

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look on Craigslist you can ding frags of stuff cheep and some of the easy stuff people just give away because it grows so fast or just wanting to up grade just dip it
Will do. Thanks!

peterthegamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best way to avoid pest is dipping the corals. Coral RX, revive and etc are products which you can use. Any idea on what type of fish you plan on adding?

peterthegamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also to get a swinging motion from corals you need decent flow and it seems to me that those powerhead are kinda small.

OP
OP
tutmatt3

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also to get a swinging motion from corals you need decent flow and it seems to me that those powerhead are kinda small.
They are rather small yes. Decent power though. (wasn't planning on coral when purchased, just flow) Rated @ 530.

And copy that on the dip! For fish I would love to get a colorful / peaceful environment. Thinking of some clowns, tangs, bangais.

tgfitz1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Toxic Green Palys and Kenya Trees are always good additions. Also most tangs will outgrow a 55g and can get aggressive as they mature to tank-mates and new additions! You should be good with a Yellow or any type of Bristletooth. :D

peterthegamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are rather small yes. Decent power though. (wasn't planning on coral when purchased, just flow) Rated @ 530.

And copy that on the dip! For fish I would love to get a colorful / peaceful environment. Thinking of some clowns, tangs, bangais.
I think you can get away with a small tang that doesn't grow quickly, but expect to transfer the tang into a larger tank sometime later though.

MaiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kenya Tree is good and you can always pull it off where you don't want it. I actually like it and keep it still because it flows nice, doesn't die(neither has my favia and frogspawn), and grows easily which is a nice reward.

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Toxic Green Palys and Kenya Trees are always good additions. Also most tangs will outgrow a 55g and can get aggressive as they mature to tank-mates and new additions! You should be good with a Yellow or any type of Bristletooth. :D
Plus 1 on yellow and bristletooth. My fab bristle is the kole.

LDH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, thanks for the suggestions! Any of the easy ones that you guys recommend staying away from?
I remember reading some people having issues with mushrooms they introduced just taking over, and never being able to rid of them.
I would isolate the green star polyps... i started with those and love them still but I have to trim mine back every couple of months which would be impossible if they were on my main piece of rock. I can almost guarantee that you will start getting more and more into corals if you're getting the slightest incling for them now. I started with a similar mindset to you and next thing you know I'm upgrading my lights, pumps buying a 3 part dosing system and barely care about anything but my corals. Point is I wouldn't put too many "easy corals" in as they can take over a tank. I would get ones that are easy to frag like the hammer coral or Duncan coral. Good luck and have fun!!

mckinleyw

AIRBORNE REEFER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would isolate the green star polyps... i started with those and love them still but I have to trim mine back every couple of months which would be impossible if they were on my main piece of rock. I can almost guarantee that you will start getting more and more into corals if you're getting the slightest incling for them now. I started with a similar mindset to you and next thing you know I'm upgrading my lights, pumps buying a 3 part dosing system and barely care about anything but my corals. Point is I wouldn't put too many "easy corals" in as they can take over a tank. I would get ones that are easy to frag like the hammer coral or Duncan coral. Good luck and have fun!!
HAVE FUN!!! The best part is being able to enjoy ur hard work. Best of luck and for tangs the tomini bristletooth is my fav.

captainsmitty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"green star polyps, any cheap mushroom, Kenya tree corals" Be very careful with these. The mushrooms can become a menace. I have some GIANT brown mushrooms that I am continually removing from the tank and just cant seem to get rid of them.
Kenya tree can also multiply very quickly as does the green star.
There many zoa's that will make you happy.
Super easy, readily spreads.... green star polyps, any cheap mushroom, Kenya tree corals, leathers of any sort.

JP79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with Zoe's and a blasto. So softies and LPS. Just try to avoid anything you have to feed. Stuff that needs low-medium flow and the same with light. Makes it easier. You'll have the hang of it in no time. Just remember to always dip your coral. I'm crazy about it. You DO NOT want unwanted pests. Everyone has s different way of dipping their coral. But it some way or another it needs to be done. Good luck and happy reefing.

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys!

So initially I was setting up a 55g Fowlr, and decided why not introduce a bit of coral into its origins?!
So this is the light I picked up:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GFTSV24/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I personally enjoy coral that 'sway' in the wind lol. But want to begin with something simple to manage. (also I really enjoy grabbing something young & watching it grow)

Set up:
55gal @ 1.025 salinity, 78degress
2x HOB filters, running over 550gal/h
protein skimmer rated @ 100gal tank
200w heater
35lb dry rock (reef saver)
60lb live sand
2x Powerheads

Planning on introducing first livestock on Friday! Cycle will be complete Wednesday, and want to do a 50% water change & give an additional day to observe numbers.

Here's a pic! (old stock LEDs in image)
6NpZfbTS99DCYLywViil2DVzIPsq5.jpg

Hoping to get some coraline from snails / frags introduced into the tank! (although don't want to starve the snails since theres nothing for them to munch on yet)

Looking forward to your input!

Cheers,
I have that light and although it's says marine it's more for a FOWLR tank only not very good for corals
I talked to the them asking for a replacement remote control.
They said not this one but the pro II would be the way to go
Ought to call them and tell them what your doing and reverify what they told me. It has no uv and green light that I remember ( mines been for sale for the longest here on REEFTOREEF)
The white lights isn't that great in the mix.
Loved it on my freshwater it comes with a bunch of settings already programmed in along with recommendations
I have a cube tank that is 24 wide by 23 ( front to back) and 21 inches deep so that might have something to do with why they told me no

For your info I'm not telling you it won't work that's up to you to try it

van7271

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would wait at least 6 months before introducing any coral. Develop some stability in your tank. There will will be many ups and downs to come as you establish your system. After that find a good frag seller and go nuts. You will be surprised how fast they will grow in a well established tank.

Back