Beginning coral questions

Qh2214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey starting a coral tank I'm headed to my aquarium store tomorrow and need to know if I need to get new sand or if I'm okay with leaving the pebbles as they are. Planning on getting some live rock tomorrow then the LED lights come next Wednesday and hopefully I'll be able to get some beginner easy to care coral. Also really interested in adding an anemone for my clown fish! Help is much appreciated thank you

OP
OP
Qh2214

Qh2214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1413535297.389592.jpg

Should I take it out and get sand or is it fine?

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pebbles will work but you may want to wait a little while after adding the live rock before you consider adding any coral (or definately an anemone). Depending on the quality of the live rock, you may experience a mini-cycle which would be harmful to both. What are you currently using for biological filtration?

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you clean that substrate you'll be ok, you also might want to stay away from any sand sifting critters, fish.
In order to even keep easy corals, of which a Anemone is not an easy to coral, going to need strong lighting and prestine water conditions, you will need to monitor your water quality and element parameters.
Table 1. Parameters critical to control in reef aquaria.
[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=-1]Parameter:[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=-1]Reef Aquaria Recommendation:[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=-1]Typical Surface Ocean Value:[SIZE=-1]1[/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=-1]Calcium[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=-1]380-450 ppm[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=-1]420 ppm[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=-1]Alkalinity[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=-1]2.5-4 meq/L
7-11 dKH
125-200 ppm CaCO[SIZE=-2]3[/SIZE] equivalents[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=-1]2.5 meq/L
7 dKH
125 ppm CaCO[SIZE=-2]3[/SIZE] equivalents[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=-1]Salinity[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=-1]35 ppt
sg = 1.026[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=-1]34-36 ppt
sg = 1.025-1.027[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=-1]Temperature[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=-1]76-83° F[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=-1]Variable2[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=-1]pH[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=-1]7.8-8.5 OK
8.1-8.3 is better[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=-1]8.0-8.3 (can be lower or higher in lagoons) [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=-1]Magnesium[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=-1]1250-1350 ppm[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=-1]1280 ppm[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=-1]Phosphate[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=-1]< 0.03 ppm[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=-1]0.005 ppm[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=-1]Ammonia[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=-1]<0.1 ppm[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=-1]Variable (typically <0.1 ppm)[/SIZE][/FONT]

Reef Aquarium Water Parameters by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

A Beginner's Guide to Keeping Anemones - Anemones

Dan1789

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was me, I would go ahead and get some live sand and live rock and get rid of the gravel. It will probably be a headache down the road. Place your live rock on the glass bottom and then use a funnel and tubing to add your live sand about an 1" or less.

3dees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would take everything out. that gravel will become a nitrate factory. plastic plants don't look right in a sw tank. your tank may go through another cycle with the live rock. make sure everything is stable. add a cuc then some easy to keep coral. your tank needs to mature before adding an anemone.

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would take everything out then get live sand and live rocks and start the process, 3-4 weeks with testing. And for the Clown you have maybe buy a 10 gallon tank for temporary then once cycle is stable add it back.

OP
OP
Qh2214

Qh2214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everybody definitely will be taking out the gravel and getting some live sand and rock today! Couldn't agree more with the fake plants not looking right in a SW tank definitely why I want to get into coral.

OP
OP
Qh2214

Qh2214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll update with some pictures after I get it all set up!

G_Sanab922

Keys Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everybody definitely will be taking out the gravel and getting some live sand and rock today! Couldn't agree more with the fake plants not looking right in a SW tank definitely why I want to get into coral.
Try to find the clown a temporary tank, like others have said, the liverock and live sand addition will create a mini cycle. Feel free to make a thread in the members tank section, or nano (i'm assuming its a nano) and everyone could follow along. You could ask questions and others will comment and give suggestions. By having all your tank info there for everyone to read, it will help in assisting you in your questions. Threads are also good for showing off our awesome corals and fish haha good luck :wink:

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with everyone else as well. The pebbles are kinda cheesy. You'll eventually want to switch it out and the longer you wait the harder it is. I just switched out my crushed coral for sand because I wasn't happy with it.

OP
OP
Qh2214

Qh2214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1413593789.269017.jpg

This is how it turned out! I wish I had a quarantine tank to keep my fish in but college student on a budget!

G_Sanab922

Keys Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks a lot better with the sand and rock! Yea just don't add any livestock so soon. Check your parameters every other day and see if you had a spike. Everything looks pretty good though. What size tank is it?

OP
OP
Qh2214

Qh2214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I waited a couple of hours before I added them back in. Thanks I'm pretty pumped on how it looks! Think I'm going to go get one more piece of rock to make a little tower type of thing. Adding bacteria from a established reef tank about a tablespoon each day. It's a 20 gallon long.

OP
OP
Qh2214

Qh2214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya for sure, when I bought the live rock it wasn't in a tank it was just dried out waiting to go into a tank. So the place I bought it from gave me a bag full of water from their established reef tank to help the right bacteria start to grow on my live rock to speed up the process of the mini cycle!

3dees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
water will do nothing. live rock or sand. otherwise use a piece of shrimp to get the cycle going.

G_Sanab922

Keys Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dry live rock might give you a bigger spike than established live rock. Unfortunately Water doesn't do much like what he said above.. Keep an eye on your parameters. And I wouldn't advise you to add anything else..

Did you cycle this tank before? If you didn't then you must! Not trying to be a pain, it's your tank and you can do whatever you want . But just trying to help you out, just like everyone else.

OP
OP
Qh2214

Qh2214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was dry live rock and I'm going to check my water on Wednesday there's a shop around me that does it for free kind of have been waiting to let it all settle. What do you mean put shrimp in it to start the cycle? Like buy a cleaner shrimp?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 27 31.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 68 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 14 16.5%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 9.4%
  • Other

Votes: 5 5.9%
Back