OP
OP
Qh2214

Qh2214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Okay don't have a top definitely worried about it jumping out now... Any advice on how to make a DIY lid? He was just chillin under the rocks! But he just swims around and hasn't appeared to make a jump attempt.

OP
OP
Qh2214

Qh2214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying now to kill off all my green hair algae cut my lights from 12 to 10 hours. My wrasse has only jumped once and I think he hit my lights so can't imagine it felt good and he hasn't tried it since. Just kind of is swimming around my torch and frogspawn. Does stay buried till about 2 in the afternoon lol. My Duncan's are starting to spout a new head too!

Justin1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying now to kill off all my green hair algae cut my lights from 12 to 10 hours. My wrasse has only jumped once and I think he hit my lights so can't imagine it felt good and he hasn't tried it since. Just kind of is swimming around my torch and frogspawn. Does stay buried till about 2 in the afternoon lol. My Duncan's are starting to spout a new head too!

How often, how much, and what are you feeding? Couple ways to get rid of it (but not stop it) is a lawnmower Blenny or starry Blenny, Emrald crab, dwarf hermit crabs these are what have worked for me but to prevent it from coming back you'll need to find what's causing the phosphates.

OP
OP
Qh2214

Qh2214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often, how much, and what are you feeding? Couple ways to get rid of it (but not stop it) is a lawnmower Blenny or starry Blenny, Emrald crab, dwarf hermit crabs these are what have worked for me but to prevent it from coming back you'll need to find what's causing the phosphates.

I'm feeding hikari marine s meat pellets. I was feeding once at noon everyday which was a lot for two little clowns and Im assuming that's what began my algae. Now that I'm not on vacation I've been going to every other day. Not very much I have a automatic feeder set to as low as possible but I guess that's still a bit much for three fish. Will the blennys be fine with my clowns and wrasse? Will the wrasse attack an emerald crab? I think the source was over feeding for 3 weeks while I was gone but all my corals and fish are still perfectly fine!

Justin1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+23+94&pcatid=94
Here's some info, yes mine is very friendly, mind you I have a 60 gallon, my cousin has one in a 29G biocube with 2 clowns they seem to be fine. Emrald crab should be fine as well probably too big for the wrasse to bother with, and I'm not 100% sure but I think the might just pick at shrimp if anything, not so much crabs. The feeding sounds about right now, just keep an eye on the pellets and see if the fish are eating them or just dissolving. For the algae maybe do two day lights off period.

OP
OP
Qh2214

Qh2214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+23+94&pcatid=94
Here's some info, yes mine is very friendly, mind you I have a 60 gallon, my cousin has one in a 29G biocube with 2 clowns they seem to be fine. Emrald crab should be fine as well probably too big for the wrasse to bother with, and I'm not 100% sure but I think the might just pick at shrimp if anything, not so much crabs. The feeding sounds about right now, just keep an eye on the pellets and see if the fish are eating them or just dissolving. For the algae maybe do two day lights off period.

Awesome only thing is idk if my tank is mature enough for a blenny to continually find food.. I started it in September! Awesome I'll look into getting an emerald crab for sure then! It looks like they eat all the pellets maybe a few dissolve here and there but not the majority! Won't that two day period of no light kill my corals?

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you'll need a longer lights out period than two days. I've only done it once and I left my lights off with a blanket over the tank for 8 days and didn't kill off all the algae.
Just a few day won't hurt the corals, but you don't wana go for a week or anything like that. Keep an eye on them and I they look bad, turn the lights back on. Take a look a few nights leading up to the lights out period and take note of how the corals look of a night time. If they look worse than that during the lights out period, they need light.
I would personally not use the lights out method as a first attack though. I'd bump up the CUC and try removing it by hand and siphoning it out during water changes. Just my two cents :)

OP
OP
Qh2214

Qh2214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you'll need a longer lights out period than two days. I've only done it once and I left my lights off with a blanket over the tank for 8 days and didn't kill off all the algae.
Just a few day won't hurt the corals, but you don't wana go for a week or anything like that. Keep an eye on them and I they look bad, turn the lights back on. Take a look a few nights leading up to the lights out period and take note of how the corals look of a night time. If they look worse than that during the lights out period, they need light.
I would personally not use the lights out method as a first attack though. I'd bump up the CUC and try removing it by hand and siphoning it out during water changes. Just my two cents :)

Yeah I'm pretty nervous about doing a light out method! I'm definitely going to just cut back on the light from 12 hours to 10 then going to go and grab an emerald crab Wednesday! Hopefully that'll start to clear out the green hair algae!

OP
OP
Qh2214

Qh2214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got an emerald crab today and he is doing work on my green hair algae!

OP
OP
Qh2214

Qh2214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
My Duncan corals are sprouting two more heads on one of them! The candy canes are finally starting to split! And I just picked up a hairy mushroom!
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1421793575.588682.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1421793596.476438.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1421793613.084143.jpg

sukimu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! Had my candy cane for about 2 months now, still one head :smokin:

OP
OP
Qh2214

Qh2214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! Had my candy cane for about 2 months now, still one head :smokin:

I bought it with 3 the other one you can't see but the one that's splitting now has taken a good amount of time to split. Pumped I'll have 4 and hopefully it'll sprout again and I'll get some more growth! I've been getting a lot of growth with weekly water changes!

OP
OP
Qh2214

Qh2214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1423167901.892904.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1423167946.420498.jpg

Update: picked up a sea urchin and 1 new coral! Don't know what it is though! Can't remember what it was called but they look awesome when their big!

jhast0n

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The shrimp is just like a piece of food that you would eat. You place it in the tank to let it begin to decompose and start the cycle of live bacteria in the tank.

jhast0n

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, lol had 2 reef2reef windows open and replied in the wrong box, my apologies!

Back