Best hob skimmer for 125 g

MamaLovesHerReefTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry if this has been asked before but I am looking to add a skimmer to my 125 g in the very near future. Up until the last couple weeks it was fowlr. I was recently given a few different coral frags so I want to add a hob skimmer as I am not currently using a sump. Any good recommendations? I would prefer to purchase in Canada to avoid shipping and duty costs. Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
MamaLovesHerReefTank

MamaLovesHerReefTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have actually narrowed it down to 2 skimmers. The reef octopus 2000 or the coralife super skimmer 220 g. My LFS has agreed to sell the coralife for the cheapest online price in canada. I just want to make sure this would be the right one. One feature that sways me to the coralife is that it can be used in a sump when I decide to make the switch. Any opinions?

LParker480

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Coralife as well. I have the same one. Its big, but I planned ahead and made sure I had plenty of space for whatever I would need. My skimmer sits in my sump as that particular one can hang on the side or be submersed.

Throck_82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my honest opinion the coralife skimmer is not worth it i would save up and by a better model. I purchased the same skimmer years ago and all it every did is overflow all over sump or floor when I had it hanging on back of tank. With mods it will run better but it will never skim that great just my opinion.

OP
OP
MamaLovesHerReefTank

MamaLovesHerReefTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my honest opinion the coralife skimmer is not worth it i would save up and by a better model. I purchased the same skimmer years ago and all it every did is overflow all over sump or floor when I had it hanging on back of tank. With mods it will run better but it will never skim that great just my opinion.
The decision was actually made for me and I'm glad it worked out this way. Just before I left to purchase the coralife, I clicked one more link about it. It was actually a page to show how to set up the coralife. It made a point of saying you need 8 inches behind the tank to set it up. I only have 5 inches and there is no way to move the tank. I don't want to put it on the side as it would be too big and bulky. Going to research some more and take my time on this.
Since ruling out the coralife, I am finding more people warning me to stay away from it.

tvu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquamaxx skimmers are awesome but 125g may be pushing it

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 30 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back