Best post-frag dip

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning everyone!
What do you use as a "healing/antibiotic" post-frag dip?
Ive heard of people using revive after fragging. Im only fragging zoas and palys at this time so Im more interested in what dips are used for those.
Thanks!!

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use iodine. I learned this from Mr Joshporksandwich. The zoa king himself.

By the way, I see you are in Cleveland. I'm from youngstown. Are you in any of the clubs up there? If you ever want to trade zoas let me know. I'm in cleveland at least once a month.

nervousmonkey

LPS Lover, SPS Enabler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, I'm with Pola on this one. Revive is great, but I prefer iodine. I believe that SeaChem sells a dip that is iodine based, or 100% iodine. That has worked the best for me for zoas...

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HAHAHAHAHAHA! No, not at all. I like to glue them to rocks. Just dip 'em first.
Ooooh I see. I better tell all those zoas I did it wrong.;)

fwiw I found the best success was to use a seasoned plug or rock esp if it has coralline and try to glue where the flesh actually touches the plug and coralline rather than the glue.. It sends a chemical signal to the corals that its ok root.

I have to go scrape the palys off the overflow box now.

tomtom2245

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I do a post frag dip its with iodine. I have a bottle of tincture of iodine I picked up at the pharmacy. A few drops of that and you are good to go.

nervousmonkey

LPS Lover, SPS Enabler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooooh I see. I better tell all those zoas I did it wrong.;)

fwiw I found the best success was to use a seasoned plug or rock esp if it has coralline and try to glue where the flesh actually touches the plug and coralline rather than the glue.. It sends a chemical signal to the corals that its ok root.

I have to go scrape the palys off the overflow box now.
Yeah, I've found that talking to my zoas helps a lot. They're sensitive and they have feelings too, Salty. :eek:

Good point on the seasoned rock and not gluing the very bottom to the rock. I wonder, besides just closing off the bottom of the frag, if that signals that they will have to grow in a different spread pattern, if they don't receive a "It's all cool down here" message from the root?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point on the seasoned rock and not gluing the very bottom to the rock. I wonder, besides just closing off the bottom of the frag, if that signals that they will have to grow in a different spread pattern, if they don't receive a "It's all cool down here" message from the root?
its part of the research being done in coral spawning and propagation at The long beach aquarium and other places. Same signals apply apparently to several other forms like hydroid or medusal and planktonic stages of some other lifeforms. the chemical signal tells them is a good spot to put down roots, flow and temp are other probable signals.
One of the talks ot '16 Macna, on Abalone, no one went cuz it sounded boring, but I got in on some pretty amazing stuff.

The zoas don't listen btw, i'm just talking to myself so I can say what I want. Nems on the other hand, they're weird.

nervousmonkey

LPS Lover, SPS Enabler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting science! So there are some pathways that are neuronal in form (don't know if that is a word, but you know what I mean)? Meaning that the animal can receive signals that cause the entire organism to react. Hmm, so I wonder what the chemical equivalent is in corals; do they have similar signals across coral families like humans do (acetylcholine, norepinephrine, dopamine, etc)? This would also be an identification method as well as a signaling tool. Wow! Essentially, we could copy that signal and provide it to corals, sort of like an anti-depressant for corals. o_O

Good to know info about talking to yourself. Just be careful that you pay attention to voices telling you to cut off your ear. Those are *not* the zoas talking back. It might be an anemone talking to you though. They are weird, a little sociopathic sometimes, but definitely weird in all cases.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ahiggins Sorry for the thread Jack. its actually fragging info kinda
Interesting science! So there are some pathways that are neuronal in form (don't know if that is a word, but you know what I mean)? Meaning that the animal can receive signals that cause the entire organism to react. Hmm, so I wonder what the chemical equivalent is in corals; do they have similar signals across coral families like humans do (acetylcholine, norepinephrine, dopamine, etc)? This would also be an identification method as well as a signaling tool. Wow! Essentially, we could copy that signal and provide it to corals, sort of like an anti-depressant for corals. o_O
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/video...restoration-by-dr-sandy-trautwein-macna-2016/
Boring talk,I think not. Was about corals too. And how to propagate them.
wait till they talk about the happy pills. people pills used on snails.

nervousmonkey

LPS Lover, SPS Enabler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG. How did they find out that an anti anxiety pill would make a snail feel like putting down their foot? Did an employee accidentally drop a Xanax in the water? Then all the snails just relaxed and found a cool little patch of coralline in a nice little neighborhood with good schools and parks and activities for the future family? o_Oo_O

Great talk! Are you going to MACNA next year in New Orleans? I'll be there, have a feeling that we would both like the same talks. It would be cool to meet ya Salty!!

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did they find out that an anti anxiety pill would make a snail feel like putting down their foot?
#scienceissilly ...... Prob what happens when you hang around with bio chemists and other smarty pants. chemical markers and hormones.

Yea, still not sure about next year. FWIW I like ALL the talks, except apex. Homie dont code.

OP
OP
ahiggins

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! I love all the info! I do have iodine :) I think an experiment is in order hahaha
Also salty, I've never heard that trick with the coralline. *tosses all frag plugs into the tank* that's a good tip!

nervousmonkey

LPS Lover, SPS Enabler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, @ahiggins , there is no need to dip at all. I would dip a coral that is being newly introduced, but it isn't necessary, and for zoas that you frag in your own tank need no dip at all. Either way, zoas are pretty tough. Hard to kill those little suckers so iodine or revive, close enough.
Watch the video to see what Salty is talking about. Fascinating talk. I agree with you Filmy, all of the talks would be cool to see. I can look at the next cool coral on the internet. Or the latest piece of tech.

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not important what brand really. Iodine is iodine, so just get pure iodine, not mixed with anything else.

I just bought the generic brand at a walgreens or rite aid.

Not important? I personally wouldn't chance it especially with some expensive zoas. The way I look at it is that you wouldn't go into a hospital for surgery and the doctor wouldn't cut you open before slapping some iodine on ya. The whole point is to kill anything bad that could enter the flesh. Same thing with zoas, there could be bad bacteria or something that could enter the zoa after being cut and infect it. So you use iodine to kill the nasty stuff. Thats just my opinion and i'm sure 9 times out of 10 it's just fine not to use it, but there is always that 1 chance.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 23 31.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 57 79.2%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.7%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.6%
Back