Best protein skimmer out there?

Xerxes_Zoanthids444

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to buy the BEST OF THE BEST Protein Skimmer on the market and need y'all help to find it?

Money isn't a problem and I want the best of the best for my tank?

Give me your thoughts?

Thank you

skim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubble King and then I would have to say Vertex Alpha series. Big Bucks though. What size is your tank and what are your plans for this tank, and what equipment do you have now.

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Deltec makes a great skimmer. I previously was using a reef octopus and it didn't compare to the deltec.

IMG_0654.JPG

MaiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubble King appears to be the best brand, but I would get a recirculating one with one pump for the water and another for the bubbles.

OP
OP
Xerxes_Zoanthids444

Xerxes_Zoanthids444

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Red Sea reefer deluxe 170 with hydra 26, I plan on redoing the tank and making the rocks look like there floating and a zoa dominated tank

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running my Bubble King for a little over two years.

It is truly set and forget. Once broke in (less than 24's) it's been like setting your home AC thermostat to a temp selecting "auto" and walking away. I always have to remember to clean out the venturi because I just have to clean the collection cup.

Dead silent too

If you can afford one and want the absolute best then OP"s answer is "Bubble King".

OP
OP
Xerxes_Zoanthids444

Xerxes_Zoanthids444

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok @GoVols which bubble king would you recommend for a 45 gal tank? I been doing some research on bubble king the benefits are outstanding!

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok @GoVols which bubble king would you recommend for a 45 gal tank? I been doing some research on bubble king the benefits are outstanding!
Sorry, Unless somethings new they don't make a skimmer that small.

I want to add one thing. There's been scientific research done on skimmers. Once dialed in there's is only so much DOC "funk" ANY skimmer will pull out. It's just physics.

The Bubble King's can't pull anymore "funk" than another dialed in skimmer, But they stay dialed in built like tanks and build the quality is unbelievable.

Do you have a sump?

OP
OP
Xerxes_Zoanthids444

Xerxes_Zoanthids444

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ok that's pretty cool, yes I do have a sump, ok then what skimmer would you recommend for my tank that's legit?

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny question as you'll get a thousand different answers. Anymore most skimmers similar in design skim similar. Just find one that has the features and pump you like. It's also important if you can find available parts. What I look for is efficiency of pump, air pull, footprint, quietness, transition to collection cup and neck diameter. Also price. You can spend a grand or two hundred bucks on a skimmer that will perform about the same these days.

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have owned several over the years. Have a Bubble King and a Vertex. Vertex is almost a carbon copy of the Bubble King. Both have been by far the best of any I have used.

runzwithscissors

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you're going to get at least 1 vote for every skimmer manufactured..
What one person attests to the best, another will have had a bad experience with.
Just an observation, I think since $ aren't an issue any top of the line from a manufacturer will do.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ok that's pretty cool, yes I do have a sump, ok then what skimmer would you recommend for my tank that's legit?
Also the BK's Red Dragon pumps are dead silent too.

I just noticed they are now making a double cone 130 and 150. They may be perfect for your tank but I haven't used a BK cone that's that small so I can't say you would not be tweaking it all the time.
http://royalexclusiv.com/Skimmer/Sk...-130-250/Bubble-King-Double-Cone-150::53.html

How high is your water line in your sumps skimmer chamber?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have owned several over the years. Have a Bubble King and a Vertex. Vertex is almost a carbon copy of the Bubble King. Both have been by far the best of any I have used.
I just saw the BK's double cones (130 and 150) for the first time. They do look like the Vertex and I believe Royal Exclusiv shares with Vertex but a Vertex doesn't have the Red Dragon pumps.

After BK's double cones (130 and 150) and these models could be hard to dial in there's nothing in Vertex's line that is a BK.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If money is honestly not a problem go with what @twilliard said
I do like deltec but twillards skimmer is crazy post up ur pic please
Those Deltec MC500's where awesome!
I don't know if Deltec still makes that model anymore...

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If money is honestly not a problem go with what @twilliard said
I do like deltec but twillards skimmer is crazy post up ur pic please
Yup coming right up!
No I have owned a LOT of skimmers since 2005 and have picked the workings apart down to the fine detail of each skimmer I have owned.
A lot of trial and error and a LOT of money spent through the years. 20161208_182851.jpg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back