Best protein skimmer out there?

jeffrey holloway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I have used 3 different skimmers is my short time in the hobby. There is no such thing as the best skimmer. There are skimmers that are built with better quality materials, and there are some DIY skimmers that will get job done just as good. If u understand your water chemistry and what type of skimate u are trying to achieve any skimmer will work. U will be better of keeping it simple and spending some of that unlimited cash flow on fish and corals. I've used Tunze, Skimz, & Lifereef all with great results. I can't say either is better than other, but they are built different. Best of luck on your search.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I have used 3 different skimmers is my short time in the hobby. There is no such thing as the best skimmer. There are skimmers that are built with better quality materials, and there are some DIY skimmers that will get job done just as good. If u understand your water chemistry and what type of skimate u are trying to achieve any skimmer will work. U will be better of keeping it simple and spending some of that unlimited cash flow on fish and corals. I've used Tunze, Skimz, & Lifereef all with great results. I can't say either is better than other, but they are built different. Best of luck on your search.
This is true and I stated it in post #11.

But... still wouldn't trade my "Bubble King" for anything else.

Quality built and bullet proof as a Mercedes-Benz AMG G65, Never have to tweak it and the Red Dragon pump is dead silent. :)

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll add something. While I dont really have brand loyalty, I recently picked up an IceCap k2-160
What I like:
•very stout construction. Built very well
•sicce pump
•Pulls an UNBELIEVABLE amount of crud. The very first day I had the tank running with dry sand, dry rock and fresh SW it was already pulling light tea colored skimmate. From what??? Just amazing

What I dont like:
•a lot of these newer skimmers are made to be "space saving" with the pumps installed in the skimmer body. While this works fine, the output is straight from the skimmers body into the sump water. This adds quite a bit of microbubbles in the sump and Ive had to get creative to combat it. I prefer an outlet pipe so that bubbles are reduced and so you can place a sock over the output if necessary.

This is no fault of the skimmer itself. The thing works phenomenal. I guess its just a recent trend in skimmer production that Im not really crazy about.
Just food for thought.

I was thinking about buying the K2 for a 75 gallon with 40 gallon Sump, likely w/ heavy load down the road. I like the fact that K2's use a stock Sicce pump instead of a modified Sicce, like Aquamaxx.

Would the 160 be the right size for me based on your experience?

711reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
joec I just replaced my k2 with the lifereef. I would be more than happy to give you a good deal on the icecap. my system is similar to yours. 60gallon tank with a 40 gallon fuge. about 80 gallon water volume with a light load. icecap is no comparison to the lifereef. attached is a pic of what my lifereef has done in 2 days. its still breaking in and once its tuned I expect to have even better performance.

skimmate.jpg

OP
OP
Xerxes_Zoanthids444

Xerxes_Zoanthids444

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
joec I just replaced my k2 with the lifereef. I would be more than happy to give you a good deal on the icecap. my system is similar to yours. 60gallon tank with a 40 gallon fuge. about 80 gallon water volume with a light load. icecap is no comparison to the lifereef. attached is a pic of what my lifereef has done in 2 days. its still breaking in and once its tuned I expect to have even better performance.

skimmate.jpg

I am definitely buying a lifereef for my 30g cube!!! They are legit!

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

skimmate.jpg

Thanks. It seems like there is pretty big fan club for Lifereef , although quite a few seem to complain about the noise, and get rid of them. This will be going in my main TV area. What didn't you like about the K2?

I'm still a few months away from needing a skimmer and am still researching a bit.

711reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my lifereef is very quiet. I did use a dc pump on it so that may help. the k2 just didn't seem to pull much junk. I used it for 2 months so it was broke in well. I made small adjustments on it. I either got very wet skimmate or no skimmate at all. I put the lifereef on and whamo gunk galore in just a few days. maybe the k2 would work on a much smaller system maybe up to 50 gallons water volume

jimmy2times

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Deltrc all the way especially if u got the cheddar to drop on one cause they are not cheap but by far the best u can get hands down! I got a good line on them if u drop me a message can get u a better deal. The construction quality is sencond to none and pulls more crap out of the water colum than anything I have used before. Deltec only!!

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a 45 gal tank, I'd get one of the new dc skimmers, save your money for the good stuff

Bluefish9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about buying the K2 for a 75 gallon with 40 gallon Sump, likely w/ heavy load down the road. I like the fact that K2's use a stock Sicce pump instead of a modified Sicce, like Aquamaxx.

Would the 160 be the right size for me based on your experience?

Im not sure what the issue was that other guy was having but I recently bought the k2-160 for my 150g fowlr and its an absolute beast! As a testament to that, the first day I set it up, using dry sand, dry rock and just mixed SW, it was already pulling a light skimmate. I couldn't believe it.... what was there to pull?? Something I guess. Now, a month later its pulling a very dark brown viscous skimmate. Very happy with it.

Puffpuffpuffer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright couple posts beat around the bush but no one wanted to post how much the orphek is so....how much is it? Anyone use Avast Pegleg 180? Curious how they are.

Diego Johnson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still now I did not use this, but I have used best skimmer. In my experiences I did not get the best features like this. It deeply cleans the tank water and helps to control the pH level.

Lawrence Blankenship

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny question as you'll get a thousand different answers. Anymore most skimmers similar in design skim similar. Just find one that has the features and pump you like. It's also important if you can find available parts. What I look for is efficiency of pump, air pull, footprint, quietness, transition to collection cup and neck diameter. Also price. You can spend a grand or two hundred bucks on a skimmer that will perform about the same these days.
Thank you, that was good and inspired , yes you shod get one that has parts easy to get.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back