Best Saltwater Aquarium Heater? You choose!

navila06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used a 300w Hydor ETH In-Line Heater for over 5 years in my 60 tank. It's awesome and as long as I restrain myself from purchasing an oversize aquarium I will keep using them.

impur

GO DUCKS!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used a 300w Hydor ETH In-Line Heater for over 5 years in my 60 tank. It's awesome and as long as I restrain myself from purchasing an oversize aquarium I will keep using them.

Thats great to hear, I am going to be using one on my next tank so I'm glad to hear positive reviews of these heaters.

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You gotta get the old school Ebu Jagger heaters, I have one that I've had for probably at least 10 years and it's still going strong!

specvjeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Ebo Jager has my vote. Mine have always been flawless. The only reason I replace them is when I upgrade. I do have it controlled by a Reef Keeper Elite. Turns it on and has an alarm to turn it off just in case it does happen to fail in the on position. Never had one fail though.

SDMAS President
Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

Mhumbach

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run two, one is a Marineland and the other a Jager. Neither have crapped out on me and both run on a controller. I clean the temp probe and heaters weekly. I do have to admit though when I first started the hobby I broke a couple doing water changes and not turning them off before pulling them out of the water :doh:

eddiecorrea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys are way behind. Cobalt Neo-therm is hands down the best heater. I hit mine with a hammer because they said it was impossible to break and they were right. Best heater ever made.

Netta Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jbj true temp rod and controller... Titanium rod just wet yesterday after 3 years of use... Replaced it with a coralvue titanium rod.

cliftong

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats great to hear, I am going to be using one on my next tank so I'm glad to hear positive reviews of these heaters.

I also use the in-line, 200w though. I'm surprised more people don't use them they are really great.

reno fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks every one this was going to b a question iv had 3 300w deep blue heaters n had nothing but troble sticking on large temp fluctuations 15 degre swings lost some fish im geting a controler asap n new heaters

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use three eheim jagers with a spare in reserve.
Two of them are enough to maintain the temperature, but one is not enough on it's own.

This way if a heater fails in the "on" position my display won't overheat or if it fails in the "off" position I still have the other two to maintain the temperature.
I do not trust the thermostats and verify the temperature with a thermometer.

I do a similar strategy: One heater in each display, correctly sized for the tank it's in, as well as a backup heater in the sump to heat the remaining system volume and a little bit more and set at a shade lower temp.

I've had great luck running them independently and just trusting the dial setting (Marineland or Ebo Jager are my fav's) as well as controlled by my ReefKeeper. No one heater is big enough to do damage if stuck on, even if circulation from the sump is cut off. Likewise, no tank goes unheated if the sump is cut off for any reason. The sump heater can make up some of the difference or minimize the drop if one of the display heaters fails "off" too.

I run two, one is a Marineland and the other a Jager. Neither have crapped out on me and both run on a controller. I clean the temp probe and heaters weekly. I do have to admit though when I first started the hobby I broke a couple doing water changes and not turning them off before pulling them out of the water :doh:

I think exposure to air is what's behind most complaints about heaters going defective.....many people aren't nearly as careful as they should be about not exposing heaters to air....so easy to damage the thermostat element in a way that doesn't cause immediate or predictable failure.

Fully submersible heaters are all pretty bullet proof IME when installed near the bottom of a tank where it's highly unlikely they will ever "run dry". Heaters that are at the water line/in shallow water require more discipline and are easier to expose completely by accident, maybe unknowingly, leading to an "unexpected" failure.

-Matt

dib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, wow! I've still got SOO much to learn...lol But anyway, I have always used Marineland. Freshwater tanks for 6+ years (same heater), and saltwater for about a year now, no problems. I did see a comment about them exposed to air, mine are always fully submersed. I think I'm just worried about breaking a glass heater, never tried any of them.

I see your choices for heaters are affordable, but controllers...yikes! Not so cheep! So what's the most affordable and still does a good job?

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in south Florida, so I've never needed one. My problem is keeping the tank cool enough !

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
12g Nanoreef. Zooanthids, Ricordia, Star Polyps, Acans and two clownfish. CF Lighting, 75% actinic blue, 25% 10,000k white.

impur

GO DUCKS!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, wow! I've still got SOO much to learn...lol But anyway, I have always used Marineland. Freshwater tanks for 6+ years (same heater), and saltwater for about a year now, no problems. I did see a comment about them exposed to air, mine are always fully submersed. I think I'm just worried about breaking a glass heater, never tried any of them.

I see your choices for heaters are affordable, but controllers...yikes! Not so cheep! So what's the most affordable and still does a good job?

I would suggest a Ranco temp controller. I use one on my QT tank, has been doing great for years. You can find em for $50 or less if you look around.

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought three of the Eheim 300w heaters. They have a 3yr warranty. Within a year, one is dead. The box says to "consult your local dealer or visit eheim.de." Local dealer said I'd be best to contact Eheim. I'm hoping they don't want me to mail it to them in Germany. If they do, I will probably not buy any more of their products, since it would be so difficult to get warranty service or replacements. I've sent them email and I'm hoping they have some other options available.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back