Best skimmers in the industry: Who gets your vote?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wanted to "poll" the membership to see what company you think produces the BEST skimmers in the industry. After I get some comments we'll create a poll and go from there.

So the question remains. Who makes the BEST skimmers?

what-is-a-protein-skimmer_zps41b9f161.jpg

image via www.MarineDepot.com

G8trBait16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the Bubble Magus. I had the NAC 5.5, but now I have the Curve 7. The only ones I have had, but I love them.

Robthorn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubble King is the best I have ever owned performance wise. I have owned multiple I-Tech models, multiple Euro Reefs, multiple coralvue, cpr , remora, multiple vertex models, Reef Dynamics, mad dog, I am sure I missed a couple, especially since I don't remember who made my old air stone skimmers.

Waboss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I think I had/used just about every "popular" skimmer out there, but my favorites are Lifereef and Deltec. And Deltec is gaining ground quickly.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, best. To me, best is the ability to consistently pull out an acceptable amount of DOC (apparently roughly 30% of TOC), reliably, and for as little money as possible. There are sayings in various circles that you can only ever pick two of the three criteria and in this case, acceptability, reliability, and cost seems to be fitting for me. Based on those criteria, I went with a Bubble Magus Curve 5 (acceptability and cost being the primary factors) initially. It has proven a little finicky to tune so I decided to replace it with a Deltec 1350 (choosing acceptability and reliability). Hopefully I chose wisely...

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know that there will be a large amount of people that have used multiple skimmers. Maybe a few that have used 1-2. I can say I had a reef back in 2001 for about 2 years and used 2 brands, a Seaclone(which imo was pure junk) and a Remora. Fast forward to my second reef tank that is now 2 1/2 years old and I'm still using a Remora but a newer one. I have no complaints about the Remora.

chema

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started using a Deltec and then switched to a Bubble King. They are expensive, but so easy to use and silent that I would never buy a different brand.

majorstare

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im in the UK, choice is smaller than the USA. Tried Deltec extenals which were terrible. Then a Tunze which was ok. Currently on a BM Curve 5 but its sensitive to adjust and just collects in the neck, not the cup.
Unsure what to upgrade it to with same footprint.

ProjectAnemone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started with a Euro Reef >>> Deltec AP702 >>> Vertex Alpha 250 >>> Avast Marine Pegleg 250

The Avast skimmer may not be the most polished unit listed, but it outperforms the Euro Reef and the Deltec and is on par with the Vertex Alpha at a much lower price point. Unless you have a 'show sump', why pay $$$ for something only you will see. Put the extra $$$ elsewhere.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I understand that everyone has an opinion and that's what this is about! Who do you think is the best?

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't believe there is a single "best" skimmer and definitely not a best brand. Budgets, tank sizes, sump sizes, livestock and many other factors all play into which is the best for a tank. That said, I'd pick Vertex (based on experience) or Lifereef (based on other's experience).

I think BRS covered it pretty well in this video

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for Reef Octopus love them. I had one of those skilter filters on my first reef tank actually. I would strongly, STRONGLY advise against them. They are right up there with the Eco Aqualizer in terms of efficacy. Meaning they don't work!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 37 82.2%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.4%
Back