Best skimmers in the industry: Who gets your vote?

FMF0331

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you tell me a little more about your experience with MTC? Did you have a Venturi or Beckett? I've heard good things and had been considering one. Thanks!

This is the skimmer (beckett ) - it didn't produce enough micro bubble to skim off the waste. I used the recommended pump and it still didn't produce. Clean the skimmer weekly, used it about 9.5 months ( so i don't think it was a "broken in" issue )
MTC.jpg

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had three. A coralvue, a bubble magus, and a Deltec I'll take the Deltec although the bubble magus is close

sbidny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the skimmer (beckett ) - it didn't produce enough micro bubble to skim off the waste. I used the recommended pump and it still didn't produce. Clean the skimmer weekly, used it about 9.5 months ( so i don't think it was a "broken in" issue )
MTC.jpg

Thanks for the info! I have been looking at their Venturi skimmers, which I've heard perform similarly to Lifereef. I know many people swear by Becketts, but everything I've read puts them all over the map. Some work great, others have consistent issues, and others need to be tuned constantly for results. Hence, I've been generally avoiding them.

dburkart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im running the reef octopus 150SSS- its a beast, as long as you clean it once in awhile
I am running the Reef Octopus 150SSS as well, it does a great job but is a bit of a pain when I have to clean the bottom, other than that it works great.

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still own the Euro Reef and one of the the Aqua-C, The Reef Dynamics is my current skimmer if I had to get a new one it would probably be a Reef Octopus as I think parts will be available for a long time after purchase. The one in the 60 gallon home made sump is the Reef Dynamics

2 Aqua C EV-240.jpg

Reef Dynamics INS-450.jpg

Euro Reef modified 1.jpg

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Reef Octopus was easier to clean. I have a NYOS now. NYOS is great but harder to clean in the little crevices even with a little brush.

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1477589114.542655.jpg

Here is simplicity and durability at its best! I don't know if they even make Top Fathom Venturi skimmers anymore!?! This is a 110 model currently running on a 65 gal at work. This skimmer has been running strong since 1995! I've always said, technological innovations are great, but simplicity, simplicity has a way to be dependable and long lasting![emoji848][emoji106]

rstrann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only had one skimmer, and it's a Reef Octopus, and I bought it used. It's a beast and I love it.

Lninwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is small with a HOB Aquamax skimmer but if I had a bigger tank with a sump I would like to get the Nyos

Mike in CT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lifereef.......Built like tanks, work great and you know the name (Jeff) of the man who built it. Plus they are pretty much guaranteed forever and come with lifetime support .

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1477607891.908575.jpg

I think it's about time to clean the coraline off it..... Lol

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a relatively few brands whose names I'm hearing again and again here . . . My LFS has some of the AquaC series on sale for instance, but that's not a name that's coming up very often. Hmm.

~Bruce, decidedly "in the market"

Sean Warden

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have owned Reef Octopus NWB 110, and have been running a Skimz SV203 Oval for the past two years. Skimz has been great, extremely quite low power, small footprint, consistent operation. The only problem I see is the availability of spare parts, which appear to be scare particularly for this design. Admittedly, I have been tempted recently by the non-needle wheel "old school" designs due to the simplicity.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back