Best skimmers in the industry: Who gets your vote?

TheWhiteFord

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Skimz Monzter skimmer it has been going strong for 2 years now always gives me tons of skimmate!

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

whotzler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a few different skimmers over the years coral life 65g , bubble Magnus curve 7, Skimz SM 163DC, reef octopus 300ext but now running Deltec TC 206o. The Deltec has been a reliable work horse and worth it's weight in gold. Build quality is top notch. Never goes nutz and overflows the collection cup no matter what gets throw into my system.

Any comments on the Skimz SM 163DC,

I have it narrowed down to this one and the Acuamaxx ConeS CO-2 for my 120 gal.

usernam invalid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any comments on the Skimz SM 163DC,

I have it narrowed down to this one and the Acuamaxx ConeS CO-2 for my 120 gal.

The Skimz Sm 163DC worked great when I had it running, solid build quality. I still have it as a back up if ever needed. Only complaint was it took awhile for it to break in and fine tune.

TC3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@West1 excellent move on ditching the SN143. I have it and the collection cup is a PITA to take off (and put on). I even broke off the air controller that was attached to the ledge trying to take off the collection cup. The skimmer was inconsistent and the pump went out less than 8 months of use. I'm leaning toward the Reef Octopus 150sss for my 100g.

BRS Recommended Size Tank for the 150sss:

Light Stocked - 160 Gallons
Medium Stocked - 110 Gallons
Heavily Stocked - 65 Gallons

I also have a Biocube 29 and currently using the IM ghost skimmer in the back. I can't seem to tune it properly and I even tried adjusting the water level. It is also as loud as the Biocube fans, maybe even louder since I had to take off the filtration cover to get air flow and reduce the trapped heat generated by the lights. I'm thinking about switching to a HOB skimmer.

I guess I'm still to new to the hobby and have not found a skimmer that I really like.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I still have to make a choice for my new tank!

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@West1 excellent move on ditching the SN143. I have it and the collection cup is a PITA to take off (and put on). I even broke off the air controller that was attached to the ledge trying to take off the collection cup. The skimmer was inconsistent and the pump went out less than 8 months of use. I'm leaning toward the Reef Octopus 150sss for my 100g.

BRS Recommended Size Tank for the 150sss:

Light Stocked - 160 Gallons
Medium Stocked - 110 Gallons
Heavily Stocked - 65 Gallons

I also have a Biocube 29 and currently using the IM ghost skimmer in the back. I can't seem to tune it properly and I even tried adjusting the water level. It is also as loud as the Biocube fans, maybe even louder since I had to take off the filtration cover to get air flow and reduce the trapped heat generated by the lights. I'm thinking about switching to a HOB skimmer.

I guess I'm still to new to the hobby and have not found a skimmer that I really like.

I read one to many things with skimz. From hard to find parts, difficulty tuning and the videos of the collection cup as you mentioned.

I'm also leaning towards the 150sss since. I'm lurking for a real black Friday deal buster or a Cyber Monday skimmer :)

Dramad1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My two favorite thus far are
Kz rev s skimmer
And the deltec 1456.
I have played with alot of different skimmers over the years, but these 2 have performed flawlessly and have out skimmed the rest for me.

alexf762

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The deltec skimmers are really great, the best I've seen. And Adam at Battle corals will take great care of you

Lninwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a local brand on my 55 and it worked great. Now on my Aqua Max 33 where everything is HOB I was directed toward the Aqua Max HOB 1. So far so good. As a side note my nitrates are finally at 0 on the Red Sea test kit.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back