Beyond upset over these Petco fish

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that I would ever ever again purchase fish from Petco. If I am in the store for anything I will have a look at their tanks.. this is insanity and someone has got to be out there that can do something.. every fish is coated with ick/velvet... the pics are not very clear. Hopefully you can see on some what I'm talking about @Humblefish @melypr1985

IMG_8737.JPG

IMG_8738.JPG

IMG_8739.JPG

IMG_8740.JPG

IMG_8745.JPG

IMG_8746.JPG

IMG_8744.JPG

R_C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not all Petco are bad just as not all LFS are good.

I do purchase fish from my local Petco, and I take the necessary precautions to ensure the fish I introduce to my tank are healthy.

jm2c

True, not all are bad. But I really wish they would lower their prices when they see that the fish's health is declining, so if anyone wanted to take a chance at saving it then it will not that big of a loss. I just saw a hippo tang at my local Petco that was worse than the pic above and the price was $59.

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True, not all are bad. But I really wish they would lower their prices when they see that the fish's health is declining, so if anyone wanted to take a chance at saving it then it will not that big of a loss. I just saw a hippo tang at my local Petco that was worse than the pic above and the price was $59.
If a retail store cannot keep the animals they are selling healthy, they have no business selling those animals.

Lowering price to move sick fishes quick does one thing: ensure they will bring in more fishes and repeat the cycle.

OP
OP
Sistawolf

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree I'm sure not all are bad.. and not all fish in my Petco are bad.. the freshwater look great! But this is and has been a problem with to many Petcos around the world for to long. It's sad.

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a salt water fish stores here in ca. That look great in there display but with in hours of being home and placed in qt they break out in Ich and who knows what else. If I recal that if they run less then a therapeutic level of copper it can suppress the symptoms. At least with petco, what you see is what you get. With that said I only buy fish from one lfs as he truly qts most of his fish. Some fish are just to delicate to let minimum wage employees take care of. Is it right probably not but what are you going to do about it

OP
OP
Sistawolf

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
stop buying stuff from them. write scating yelp reviews and facebook. include pictures.
I do not buy from them.. I learned my lesson a long time ago..
There are a salt water fish stores here in ca. That look great in there display but with in hours of being home and placed in qt they break out in Ich and who knows what else. If I recal that if they run less then a therapeutic level of copper it can suppress the symptoms. At least with petco, what you see is what you get. With that said I only buy fish from one lfs as he truly qts most of his fish. Some fish are just to delicate to let minimum wage employees take care of. Is it right probably not but what are you going to do about it
nothing I can do about it.. but it looks like someone should. I asked the girl that I believe knows what she is doing.. mind you she only works certain days. But she said she has discussed the copper issue with Petco but seeing as the tanks connect and they have inverts and corals they can't use it. She also said the lighting has never been changed and she's been with them for 8 years

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that I would ever ever again purchase fish from Petco. If I am in the store for anything I will have a look at their tanks.. this is insanity and someone has got to be out there that can do something.. every fish is coated with ick/velvet... the pics are not very clear. Hopefully you can see on some what I'm talking about @Humblefish @melypr1985

IMG_8737.JPG

IMG_8738.JPG

IMG_8739.JPG

IMG_8740.JPG

IMG_8745.JPG

IMG_8746.JPG

IMG_8744.JPG

Sadly there isn't much we as individuals can do here. It would take all of us (as stated above) writing reviews on yelp, facebook, google ect. to make a dent. Stop buying marine fish from them and it will no longer be profitable for them to carry those fish. It would take more than a few hundred people spread around the country too.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One can open up a can a worms by acquiring and the posting of images on social media without the consent of the business. One of the reasons why some forums do not even allow Petco themed threads.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't started buying fish yet but Petco is the only seller within a 40 minute drive of me. They don't look that bad but they sure don't look good. I plan on taking the drive when it is time.

OP
OP
Sistawolf

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly there isn't much we as individuals can do here. It would take all of us (as stated above) writing reviews on yelp, facebook, google ect. to make a dent. Stop buying marine fish from them and it will no longer be profitable for them to carry those fish. It would take more than a few hundred people spread around the country too.
Oh I know.. after the h tusk incident I haven't bought anything from them.. your the second person to say that.. lol sorry if I caused confusion but I have not and will not purchase from any lfs that has fish in these conditions..

OP
OP
Sistawolf

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't started buying fish yet but Petco is the only seller within a 40 minute drive of me. They don't look that bad but they sure don't look good. I plan on taking the drive when it is time.
Yes I do believe your from Alabama or somewhere close? Same for me. So I drive to Birmingham, Huntsville or Atlanta

OP
OP
Sistawolf

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One can open up a can a worms by acquiring and the posting of images on social media without the consent of the business. One of the reasons why some forums do not even allow Petco themed threads.
I highly doubt anyone from Petco is going to be upset about pictures from their store being posted without consent. If it helps these fish then so be it.. but first of all.. I didn't take a Petco picture and use it from their site. This is my picture I took with my phone and I have never read a sign that states customers are not allowed to take pictures of our fish.. sooooooo let them do what they need to do.. if my post is offensive please remove it.. I had no idea I would be ruffling feathers from Petco employees or from someone whom has invested in the stock trade of Petco and isn't happy with my post.. a couple of people have helped me many times with my sick fish from Petco. And I found it disturbing to see this kind of situation for the fish.. so I wanted to share it.. that is all..

Lovemycj7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want a shot at rescuing a sick fish talk to the manager they will discount their livestock.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 26 31.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 67 79.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 14 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 9.5%
  • Other

Votes: 5 6.0%
Back