OP
Sistawolf

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want a shot at rescuing a sick fish talk to the manager they will discount their livestock.
I have tried that before. But this is every fish in stock except for the clowns.. I didn't see it on the clown fish and of course the freshwater

Fourstars

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed those fish! of course they're sick they are staving! I bet if they feed fish live foods when they arrive, they would half the lose. it would more then pay for the live brine and worms. Plus I would have a source for live food again instead of having to raise it.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've met some amazing people who work at Petco stores. They are eager to learn, ask lots of questions, do reading online, etc. The problem is they are being handcuffed by corporate policies that doom most of their SW fish. If the store managers had more leeway, many fish could be saved just by employing some common sense fixes which are alien to corporate stooge types. ;)

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I do believe your from Alabama or somewhere close? Same for me. So I drive to Birmingham, Huntsville or Atlanta
I do live in Alabama now. I hope the store in Huntsville is decent because that will be the closest to me.

OP
OP
Sistawolf

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've met some amazing people who work at Petco stores. They are eager to learn, ask lots of questions, do reading online, etc. The problem is they are being handcuffed by corporate policies that doom most of their SW fish. If the store managers had more leeway, many fish could be saved just by employing some common sense fixes which are alien to corporate stooge types. ;)
That's what I figured.. I joe it's it the employees.. as they all seem to know and if they don't they ask or look up.. it's def overhead big guys

OP
OP
Sistawolf

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do live in Alabama now. I hope the store in Huntsville is decent because that will be the closest to me.
I was just there yesterday.. a little expensive but very very nice set up.. and clean.. very nice owner.. he said they were moving soon down the road and it's going to be a lot bigger.. but said they will carry more freshwater along with saltwater and birds and reptiles.. I honestly wish he would stick to saltwater and some fresh like it is now.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know. I don't mind paying more for healthy fish and solid advice. I'll need plenty as I get going with this hobby. It is hard enough with healthy fish as it is.

tom reilly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some really good online vendors. overnight delivery is available almost everywhere now.Some even offer 14 day guarantee on fish. my local LFS wont do that. I am lucky I have found on local LFS that really makes an effort to see they sell healthy fish.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not buy from them.. I learned my lesson a long time ago..
:D I meant everybody:D Because most of them haven't learned yet.;) I figure as a business, they'll either do better, or stop doing it.
Our money is our vote.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard a new fish store will be opening soon. Something along the lines of Humblefish Aquatics. I hear they will specialize in pre QT'd fish. Will come with a cost premium but I have a feeling they will be superior to Costco. :D

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One can open up a can a worms by acquiring and the posting of images on social media without the consent of the business. One of the reasons why some forums do not even allow Petco themed threads.
agreed. Take it to reputable review sites. facebook sadly now is actually one of them. If your store is bad tell the manage ment. If the dont fix it yelp. It does get thier attention. I would treat and business that way.

Lets not "black fish" the whole thing, but if it were a food franchise I would do the same.

Surfandturf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought from a Petco when I had my first Nano. It wasn't bad. They actually hired a guy who knew his stuff. The first Petco pics on this thread actually have some pretty clean tanks compared to what I have seen at some full on reef stores.

bobyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iirc petco bought out live aquaria and that is the supply for most of the livestock now days.
It's not the fish that are bad it's the way the tanks maintained.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Petco fish aren't the problem, it's either the employees or corporate policies that do not allow adequate care for their livestock. they purchase from many of the same wholesalers your lfs uses.

FishLover01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My local Petco''s are pretty good and attentive to the marine livestock. Today, I went to a different LFS and bought a medium size yellow tang. Tangs has always been my favorite. Anyways, he looks very healthy and has no parasites or injuries that can be noticed. After I get him home, I test the LFS water and SG''s were at 1.023 which isn't that bad. I usually run at 1.024 or1.025. Next, I checked ammonia, none in my tank but LFS had a .50 reading which isn't good. My nitrates were around 20ppm which is OK for.a FOWL tank but the LFS nitrates were over 180ppm. It was the brightest red I've ever seen using API test kits. The real shocker to me is pH is at 8.4 which is about perfect for a marine tank but the LFS had a pH reading of 7.6ppm . I didn't even know a marine fish could live with 7.6ppm. He seems lively and is exploring everything. Hope he makes it.

njtiger aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highly doubt anyone from Petco is going to be upset about pictures from their store being posted without consent. If it helps these fish then so be it.. but first of all.. I didn't take a Petco picture and use it from their site. This is my picture I took with my phone and I have never read a sign that states customers are not allowed to take pictures of our fish.. sooooooo let them do what they need to do.. if my post is offensive please remove it.. I had no idea I would be ruffling feathers from Petco employees or from someone whom has invested in the stock trade of Petco and isn't happy with my post.. a couple of people have helped me many times with my sick fish from Petco. And I found it disturbing to see this kind of situation for the fish.. so I wanted to share it.. that is all..

I think they where more talking on the lines of R2R or yourself being dragged into court for defamation. Now because you took those pictures with your cell phone (now I am assuming that) there proof where and when you took those photos which can back your claim. Also I don't believe (but don't know) that Petco will 'come after' R2R or yourself for this. Even if they stopped selling saltwater I would believe they will still remain in business with their other animal supplies.

Agree its sad seeing fish like this in any LFS (not just Petco). There is a local LFS near my house where I have never purchase a saltwater fish because the looks of them. His prices are good but tank are not well care for. There are times I wish I had the money and space to bring home ill fish to see if I can get them healthy again.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many LFS are this way these days. Especially around here in Indianapolis. Premium aquatics here does pretty decent, inland aquatics was impressive the one time I went there, everything else is garbage and honestly I don't live within 45 minutes of either

Tntgill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was walking around my local petco today and was actually surprised at how good the fish and frags they have looked. I know the manager of this store and she has sw tanks and the manager of the fish department has a marine biology degree. They seem to take good care of them at this store. 30 minutes away is a different story, algae covering all the surfaces of the tank so bad you can't even see the fish. Another lfs has a huge selection but ick is rampant and their answer is buy a cleaner wrasse. Also all their frags are covered in aiptasia.

cj in sac ca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't started buying fish yet but Petco is the only seller within a 40 minute drive of me. They don't look that bad but they sure don't look good. I plan on taking the drive when it is time.
If this the case save the gas and order off line lots of great sponsors on here like @CherryCorals and many others!

ebushrow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My local Petco''s are pretty good and attentive to the marine livestock. Today, I went to a different LFS and bought a medium size yellow tang. Tangs has always been my favorite. Anyways, he looks very healthy and has no parasites or injuries that can be noticed. After I get him home, I test the LFS water and SG''s were at 1.023 which isn't that bad. I usually run at 1.024 or1.025. Next, I checked ammonia, none in my tank but LFS had a .50 reading which isn't good. My nitrates were around 20ppm which is OK for.a FOWL tank but the LFS nitrates were over 180ppm. It was the brightest red I've ever seen using API test kits. The real shocker to me is pH is at 8.4 which is about perfect for a marine tank but the LFS had a pH reading of 7.6ppm . I didn't even know a marine fish could live with 7.6ppm. He seems lively and is exploring everything. Hope he makes it.
Is this from the bag water or did you take a separate sample?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back