Big Storm Coming!

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in the eastern US, and we might get some freezing temps here in Florida :) Regardless, the preparedness reminder is something we're definitely used to here and is a timely refresher for busy reefers!

trio91

NJRC (New Jersey Reefers Club)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i actually have to get a second back up battery for my small tank...but i think Nj should be ok for the most part....we got hit pretty bad last year around this time without any major power outrages...it is really cold over here though...its like 7' with the wind chill

human

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in NW Pa, I'm going camping tomorrow so it should make things interesting. I have a backup generator so my house should be alright. Thanks for the heads up.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good reminder!

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have below freezing tempatures here in Virginia beach after some warmer weather, brr but we do have a back up generator if we loose power. Thanks for the reminder. :)

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live on Long Island and during Hurricane Sandy all the houses across the street and behind us lost power for 5 days. It seems like our block was in a bubble, never lost power, cable or the telephone, although I did lose a 2007 Liberty that I just bought 2 weeks ealier. We ran an extension cord across the street for two of our neighbors one of them had a sister who was staying with them and needed power for an oxygen machine.
But, if I was to lose power my PH's are hooked up to a UPS to keep them running for a bit until my friend comes over with his spare generator.

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pricing out generators as we speak. Hoping to make some extra cash with the snow. I can use it. Those with generators check them prior to the storm. I've had plenty of friend call me to get theirs started after the power is already out. Best of luck all!

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are saying we're going to get hit with a good blast of snow.....central NJ. I'm set with a generator.

But I have to get the bread and milk! If you haven't seen the video by Vic DiBitetto, search bread and milk and snow.....it's hilarious, and around here, the truth.

EDIT TO ADD: Here they are:

Bread and Milk - Part 1

Bread and Milk - Part 2

Last edited:

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered my generator. Will be here Thursday. Of course the first storm of the year and it is a big one AND I'm going away for work. Now I have to leave a day earlier and let my wife fend off the storm solo with our 3yo. :mad:

enzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hay Randy I'm around the corner from you in Wilmington. I just used my snow blower the other day when we got 4" of snow now have it gases up and ready to go.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are expected to get some sleet and freezing rain here in the deep south tonight. Fired up my generator a few days ago so we should be prepared if we lose power. Freezing rain is the biggest reason for us to have power loss

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you live in the Eastern US, make sure you know what you'd do if you lost power for a few days!
I know your plight. When it's Hurricane season one must honker down once in a while. My computer UPS comes in handy for a little while. I heard of people rigging a power inverter to their Car Battery. Don't know how well this works. It's getting cold here lows in the 40F 's now.
:(

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know your plight. When it's Hurricane season one must honker down once in a while. My computer UPS comes in handy for a little while. I heard of people rigging a power inverter to their Car Battery. Don't know how well this works. It's getting cold here lows in the 40F 's now.
:(
Works very well as long as you mimimize the load to the basics to extend battery life.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back