Bio pellets

20 gallon nano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have removed my rowaphos reactor and started running bio pellets, .my question is if My phosphates are at .10 and nitrates are zero would I still need to do the half recommended amount of bio pellets, and move up to full in few weeks?would I have negative effect removing rowaphos, even though bio pellets remove phosphates too?

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would you run biopellets if your nitrates are at 0? Biopellets are a method of filtration for nitrate reduction.

Dashiki

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without nitrates the bio pellets will not colonize. You need to have nitrates around 2-5 to get any phosphate removal from them.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should run half the recommended until you know how it's going to effect your system and how much you need to run in order to keep the levels where you want them.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bio pellets are not going to drop you phosphates. As @Dashiki and @tj w stated you need nitrates in your system at between 3 and 5 and if you are a little not a big deal. Your phosphates should be .02 to a trace.
How old is the system. Are running bio media in your sump?

OP
OP
20 gallon nano

20 gallon nano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for a cheaper and worry free alternative to removing phosphates. After only 5 days my skimmer started collecting green gunk, more then usual which would seam like I'm building up a bacteria colony.

OP
OP
20 gallon nano

20 gallon nano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's around a year and a half. My biopellets are ran in a brs reactor in my sump. My nitrates Were always low, I'm been having around .10 phosphate running rowaphos in a reactor.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimming your tank with a good skimmer is going to be your best Po4 reducer. I run one that's rated at double my tank volume with a heavy bio-load. BPs are mainly for No3 export as previously mentioned;)

skybears

Lovin it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimming your tank with a good skimmer is going to be your best Po4 reducer. I run one that's rated at double my tank volume with a heavy bio-load. BPs are mainly for No3 export as previously mentioned;)
Amen for acronym cheat sheet! wow

OP
OP
20 gallon nano

20 gallon nano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told bio pellets will also remove po4 , so I would rather save wonder with only toppingoff my bio pellets then to replace gfo or rowaphos every month. My lfs lested my phosphates with Hanna checker and nitrates with nios

Irsug1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without nitrate the bacteria cannot consume phosphate.
You could dose nitrate to accomplish this.

OP
OP
20 gallon nano

20 gallon nano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never heard of dosing nitrates before. Everyone is trying to have the least amount of nitrates. My skimmer is collecting double the amount it used to after adding bio pellets, which should mean I'm getting bacteria collonizing on them.

melev

Avid Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't have enough nitrate in your system, feed the tank more. It's that simple.

Another way to remove phosphate is Phosphate Rx. It's what I've been recommending for years, and it's the only product I use for my own reef to remove phosphate for the past decade. No GFO reactor for me. :)

Dashiki

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to maintain a certain amount of nitrate to also consume the phosphate. It's all about the balance.

If nitrates fall to low you will start stripping the water too clean and leave behind the phosphates.

Where are the phosphates coming from any way? Seems like you may be overfeeding.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to maintain a certain amount of nitrate to also consume the phosphate. It's all about the balance.

If nitrates fall to low you will start stripping the water too clean and leave behind the phosphates.

Where are the phosphates coming from any way? Seems like you may be overfeeding.

The ratio that nitrates are consumed naturally is something like 20:1. Make no sense to me to add something to add something to remove something, when you can just remove phosphate.....

I use HC BRS GFO, never look back

OP
OP
20 gallon nano

20 gallon nano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't have enough nitrate in your system, feed the tank more. It's that simple.

Another way to remove phosphate is Phosphate Rx. It's what I've been recommending for years, and it's the only product I use for my own reef to remove phosphate for the past decade. No GFO reactor for me. :)
What are your phosphates at with that Rx product? And how long does the bottle last?

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I agree. I seem to have the hardest time getting any nitrates in my system, I need to add fish.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 132 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back