gryphon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tmpPhoto.jpeg
ok all, im cycling the 45 g pentagon. Live rock . Live sand. Ghost fed , etc
Question on bio spira... directions say just dump it in? Has Anybody used this product that can comment? Im still gonna let cycle for a while... and just ordered water test kit... comments on bio spira appreciated? Thank u

OP
OP
G

gryphon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20170208_182816.jpeg
additional question, 2 live rox in back, the one up front ,(darker) is from my currently running tank, is it normal to be so much darker? Or, thoughts? Thnx

Mandrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to hijack the thread or anything but would you recommend against using multiple products? I ordered biospira but now also would like to try dr tims one and only bacteria as well. Should/could they be mixed?

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to hijack the thread or anything but would you recommend against using multiple products? I ordered biospira but now also would like to try dr tims one and only bacteria as well. Should/could they be mixed?
Not sure if there would be a benefit to be honest. Remember that all this beneficial bacteria needs something to munch on.
You can just use 'red sea reef mature pro kit' if you're looking to do a full cycle.
It has a few products, but one of them recommends having a protein skimmer or not to use it (the one that converts nitrates to nitrogen gas)

I personally used biospira, a full bottle for a 55gal tank, about 44 gallons of water. Then I dosed on dr tims ammonia, and followed his fishless cycle guide available online.

Everything ran perfect according to that chart, no issues. I did start w/ dry rock, so I'm sure live rock will have a better effect.

Note!: I highly recommend practicing QT process before tossing those fish in. Since you're still cycling, Get a QT right now, so there will be less of a time gap between when cycle is done and when fish are ready to hop in the DT.
Trust meee, it's worth the extra $50 for a 10gal tank set up. I jumped the gun and put some clowns in my Dt, but one did show signs of ick. Lukcily no loss, but now they're in a QT for 11 weeks while DT runs fallow.
No regrets, I still have the fish & they're healthy, but do it! =) #endrant

Mandrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if there would be a benefit to be honest. Remember that all this beneficial bacteria needs something to munch on.
You can just use 'red sea reef mature pro kit' if you're looking to do a full cycle.
It has a few products, but one of them recommends having a protein skimmer or not to use it (the one that converts nitrates to nitrogen gas)

I personally used biospira, a full bottle for a 55gal tank, about 44 gallons of water. Then I dosed on dr tims ammonia, and followed his fishless cycle guide available online.

Everything ran perfect according to that chart, no issues. I did start w/ dry rock, so I'm sure live rock will have a better effect.

Note!: I highly recommend practicing QT process before tossing those fish in. Since you're still cycling, Get a QT right now, so there will be less of a time gap between when cycle is done and when fish are ready to hop in the DT.
Trust meee, it's worth the extra $50 for a 10gal tank set up. I jumped the gun and put some clowns in my Dt, but one did show signs of ick. Lukcily no loss, but now they're in a QT for 11 weeks while DT runs fallow.
No regrets, I still have the fish & they're healthy, but do it! =) #endrant

Well I plan on getting the ammonium chloride to dose as well to feed the bacteria

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's live sand and live rock the tank is already cycling. Ghost feeding helps a bit to make ammonia and a little die off from the rock will too.

Bio spra and dr tims are both formulas made by dr Tim. From what I've seen the dr tims is just a bit better at what it does.

Mandrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's live sand and live rock the tank is already cycling. Ghost feeding helps a bit to make ammonia and a little die off from the rock will too.

Bio spra and dr tims are both formulas made by dr Tim. From what I've seen the dr tims is just a bit better at what it does.

That is good to know that dr Tim makes both products, maybe I will just stick with the biospira since I already bought it then.

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used it several times successfully to cycle tanks in 2 weeks or sometimes even 1 week. The ammonia reducing bacteria work almost immediately (within 24 hrs usually) and are able to reduce 2ppm ammonia at the same rate as any traditionally cycled tanks I have done, but like one other user said it does take a little time for the nitrite reducing bacteria to get to work. Either way, it's much faster than a traditional cycle in my experience.

I believe it's been proven that nitrite does not harm fish (or at least they can tolerate it) but I personally don't add finish until the nitrite is eliminating at the same rate as the ammonia. People have had success adding fish before then, but I choose not to.

I use biospira everytime I set up a tank. I always dose 2ppm ammonia once, then test ammonia/nitrite/nitrate daily until it is all nitrate. I repeat the dosing ammonia/testing phase until the bacteria converts 2ppm ammonia to only nitrate in less than 24hrs. That is what has worked for me in the past.

Mandrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my most recent experience. About a day and a half ago I dosed roughly up to 2ppm ammonia with pure ammonia into my 29g aquarium. (Roughly 30 drops) this morning this is my results.
IMG_2439.JPG

So there is no confusion, I poured a 100ml bottle of biospira in right after dosing the ammonia.

So the ammonia based on my junk API kit is as close to 0ppm as this kit has ever read. The nitrite reads between 0.50ppm and 1.0ppm which tells me the biospira is working well. I am doing this totally fishless and will keep y'all updated with my results and hopefully help someone in deciding wether or not to use Biospira themselves.

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used it and I like it. Definitely still monitor ammonia but I added fish shortly after using this product with no negative results. I actually have another bottle in the mail for my next build.

+1...I always wait 24 hrs after adding it before I add fish. Last time I upgraded tanks I started out by moving a pair of clowns then waited a couple of days and moved a couple more fish and so on to make sure the bacteria had time to grow before the bio load got too much.

Mandrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once this tank cycles I'll put 1-2 clowns in it then probably let it sit for another month before I add anything else.

Erik R

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These types of products work because they seed the tank with the bacteria. Its a great way to get things going, but the reason why nitrates are still there is because though the bacteria may be there, they dont have an appropriate food source. You really should introduce some organic material when adding this kind of thing. You could run into a situation (If you dont put fish in soon) where the bacteria culture dies off.

Mandrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These types of products work because they seed the tank with the bacteria. Its a great way to get things going, but the reason why nitrates are still there is because though the bacteria may be there, they dont have an appropriate food source. You really should introduce some organic material when adding this kind of thing. You could run into a situation (If you dont put fish in soon) where the bacteria culture dies off.

I plan to continue adding ammonia until it's cycled enough to add a fish. Then I will add the fish for that purpose.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back