BK Mini Skimmer build.... DIY !

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw we can clearly all see who did this project lol... I can't really take any credit for these since Jesse was a man on a mission!!!
So in return I'll be doing 2 cones next since I will have all the labor involved forming cones and twist locks etc.... Should be just as cool I think.... Besides my man mojo spinning that acrylic on a lathe, that's pretty cool....;)

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes I buy almost all my acrylic as scrap pieces. Saves a ton of money. For example the 2.5 in piece was about $60 shipped fora 13x19 in piece. so that was way cheaper to buy it that way.
The neck I cut it out square first. Then cut the corners off. then I put a bolt through the middle of it so I can turn down the outer radius. One I get that down I use a hole saw to cut a circle out of the middle. less machining that way. then go from there.

Is there a good place online to look for materials or are you getting them local?

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
check out ebay honestly. its the only place I can get scrap pieces at a reasonable price. The body is usually by all new. but when I machine away everything from a thick piece a cut of piece that they cant use is just fine for me. I have over half of what I bought left. I might be making a couple volutes but will probably just get another piece of 2 " for those...

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And Troylee, you are not off the hook yet. lol you will still have to make the bubble chamber on one of them :)

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw we can clearly all see who did this project lol... I can't really take any credit for these since Jesse was a man on a mission!!!
So in return I'll be doing 2 cones next since I will have all the labor involved forming cones and twist locks etc.... Should be just as cool I think.... Besides my man mojo spinning that acrylic on a lathe, that's pretty cool....;)

Hey !
2 cones?
it would be nice to have a stand off between the cone and the mini, providing they have the same specs.Many of us would be interested to see the results.

ReeferBen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know Luke recently did a standoff like this in his forum between a standard and a cone. I think he ran the bubble break point at the same spot. I've noticed though that cone style skimmers push the foam head much higher than standard skimmers, you really need to adjust them different to get equal results, JMO.

Anyhow the build looks sweet. Very nice work all around!

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the kind words. I am about 50% done with the second collection cup and base.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the cones made for the lids today...
Here is the science or math if you will of laying a cone out.... Pita lol..
7ff5756a.jpg

here is the mini mold made of 22ga sheet metal..
8ca3ccc2.jpg

heating the acrylic 1/4" cast material
289289a2.jpg

and the form...
1c8ebe9e.jpg

83a3e328.jpg

casting the seam with weldon #40
dccca52d.jpg

and the cone all finished up ready to be glued to the lid in the morning...;)
f62f29e3.jpg

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will have these thusday chances are I will have skimmer one done thursday I hope and the second one will be done friday or saturday. The second one will be shipped to troylee for him to make the bubble plate for it. That will be the only thing he will need to finish the second one.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet man... What size tank you putting it on??? I'm gonna run it on my new frag system I have yet to build lol.... It should be around 80 to 100 gal...
I'm thinking about something crazy with the cones man...;)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back