Black plastic flower pot, reef safe?

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The light from the refugium is lighting the skimmer causing algae to grow in the body & neck.
I want to cut the bottom out of a flower pot & use it as a light blocking collar. OK ,OK I admit to being low dollar whenever possible ! Any OP's ??

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be fine.

Can you fix the light (or replace it) so that it's only lighting the refugium? Something else to consider. :)

What light do you have down there?

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Ya'll, I thought I'd get a bunch of laughs ! The light is just a clamp on reflector with a 56k flood bulb. I could swap the ref & return sections but that would require a change plumbing etc . the skimmer & return sections are next to each other It's not a direct light on the skimmer Just looking for a low dollar simple fix. If it doesn't work, I'll come up with something else. This is my experimental 75 coral tank so not concerned with looks & such. I'll find a pic for You. You can see the algae crud build up on the one side.
HPIM8549.JPG

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That really looks like it wants to dive in!! :eek::eek::eek:

If you can find a narrow spotlight to swap for that flood, that would help a little.

Switching to a little DIY GU10 fixture might be the way to go, however. GU10's typically come with 30º lenses and they're small so easy to mount.

Here's all you'd need to do:
  • Screw a little 1x2 up to your stand over the fuge, or suspend it down from there.
  • Screw in a row of GU10 sockets on 2" centers.
  • Install a line of 3 watt warm-white GU10 bulbs.
  • 18" should allow for about 9 bulbs.
  • The sockets just get wired to normal AC power.
  • Total cost, around $30.

If you can get the lights mounted so they're at about 12" from the water, they'll cover around 12" while spilling almost zero light whatsoever outside of that.

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's actually pretty secure. I do have some red led light strips I had on an ATS. They would work very well. I 'm looking for the "easy" way out ! :rolleyes:

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I have exactly the same problem on both my tanks.
I just use a paper towel every few months to wipe out the inside and maybe once per year do a vinegar soak to get the coralline algae out.
A friend showed me his solution and it was some thin black plastic that he wrapped around the base of the skimmer.

Back