Black spot on Lyretail anthias

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 Lyretail anthias going through QT. There was one in QT for about a week, then I added three more. There was a pretty brutal fight for top dog that went on for maybe an hour when I first added the three between the one that was already there and a new one. The one that was already there seems to have won and everyone is happy and eating but the oldest one now has a brownish black spot on his side. I was guessing this is a bruise but I just wanted to see what others thought. Whatever it is, it hasn't influenced his behavior, still very hungry etc.

IMG_20170207_075126.jpg

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a bruise to me, but hopefully the internal injury is not too extensive or gets infected. Would be a good idea to start vitamin soaking his food and/or even using an antibiotic (Kanaplex) in the food.

OP
OP
A

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I do have selcon but I hadn't been giving it to them because I was worried it was too "messy" for the quarantine system. I'll soak their brine in it tonight though. Fortunately I haven't seen any change in behavior, she seems to be top dog still.

OP
OP
A

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a bruise to me, but hopefully the internal injury is not too extensive or gets infected. Would be a good idea to start vitamin soaking his food and/or even using an antibiotic (Kanaplex) in the food.

Three days later: Spot is still there, looks maybe a little worse. Like maybe it's open. I think she's acting the same, she's eating (Sprirulina enriched brine soaked in selcon) if anything she may be just a hair less dominant on the tank but I might be imagining that.

They are just finishing their first prazi treatment. Should I just stay the course? They have one cupramine and one prazi remaining. Should I hold off on those?

IMG_20170209_114318.jpg

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look like the spot has gotten bigger. I think I would treat the water with Furan-2 and/or Kanaplex; and also food soak Kanaplex to address the possibility that this is an internal infection.

OP
OP
A

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I'll have to wait till tomorrow to get it due to the weather, should I treat with both antibiotics or will one suffice? Should I not begin the next prazipro treatment?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I'll have to wait till tomorrow to get it due to the weather, should I treat with both antibiotics or will one suffice? Should I not begin the next prazipro treatment?

I would probably start off with one (preferably Kanaplex), and add the other if the fish doesn't show improvement within a few days.

You can also combine Prazipro with antibiotics; just have SW ready (to do a WC) if a bacterial bloom (cloudy water) occurs.

OP
OP
A

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have access to kanamycin sulfate in the meantime, is it effective to just treat with pure kanamycin sulfate (dissolved in RO)?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have access to kanamycin sulfate in the meantime, is it effective to just treat with pure kanamycin sulfate (dissolved in RO)?

Yes, that is fine to use. Dosage is 500-750 mg per 20 gallons. I typically start with the low dose, and then slowly ramp it up to 750 mg on Day 4.

Dose every 48 hours for 10 days. It is ideal to do a 25% WC at around the halfway point (before Day 6).

OP
OP
A

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch that's a lot of Kanamycin! The QT is 10g but unfortunately I only have 1 gram of kanamycin. I guess I'll start them on it just to get it working and then when I run out I can do a big water change and switch to kanaplex or something.

OP
OP
A

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that is fine to use. Dosage is 500-750 mg per 20 gallons. I typically start with the low dose, and then slowly ramp it up to 750 mg on Day 4.

Dose every 48 hours for 10 days. It is ideal to do a 25% WC at around the halfway point (before Day 6).

Also, one last thing. I take it this will nuke my bio filtration also? I already feel insecure enough about my QT's ability to handle bioload (although so far so good)! I guess I'll just be extra on my toes about ammonia levels and pay close attention to my badge.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I'll just be extra on my toes about ammonia levels and pay close attention to my badge.

You would do this anyway, but you shouldn't see much of an issue with antibiotics in the QT. Any loss of bacteria will bounce back rather quickly for you.

OP
OP
A

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, yeah I don't mean to imply I'm not paying attention just that I already feel insecure about bioload in a QT tank.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, one last thing. I take it this will nuke my bio filtration also? I already feel insecure enough about my QT's ability to handle bioload (although so far so good)! I guess I'll just be extra on my toes about ammonia levels and pay close attention to my badge.

Kanamycin mostly targets aerobic bacteria, so your bio-filter will take a hit. However, you'd be amazed how quickly bacteria are able to adapt and repropagate themselves. If your bio-filter is healthy, I'd be surprised if you saw an ammonia spike.

OP
OP
A

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came home from work and I'd say for the first time she looks worse. She's a little less energetic, not swimming in the middle of the column as much. The wound has some "structure" to it, it looks a little fuzzy (not exactly fuzzy but like maybe a peeling, it's hard to capture). Here's a picture of her today. I started Kan last night at the low end. I'm planning on buying kanaplex and furcan 2 tomorrow and I'll do a big water change (50%) and start both by the instructions. She seems to eat fine but not as "voracious" maybe as before.

Does that sound right? Should I adjust in any way?

IMG_20170210_205412.jpg

OP
OP
A

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started Kanamycin last night according to humblefish's regiment above. Should I/Can I speed that up? Redose today (rather than waiting the full 48hrs for intance)? Unfortunately I don't have access to Furan-2 right now but I will get it tomorrow (if there's even a benefit to treating with furan in addition to kan).

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started Kanamycin last night according to humblefish's regiment above. Should I/Can I speed that up? Redose today (rather than waiting the full 48hrs for intance)? Unfortunately I don't have access to Furan-2 right now but I will get it tomorrow (if there's even a benefit to treating with furan in addition to kan).

Nah.. my comment was meant to be sure the other meds didn't wait. I wasn't clear... I'm sorry. Furan2 is definitely a benefit.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would up the kanamycin dosage to 750mg and add Furan-2 to the mix ASAP. You can also add metronidazole (100mg per 10 gals) every 48 hrs.

An acriflavine bath (5ml per 10 gals) might halt the infection from spreading further.

OP
OP
A

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The LFS only had BiFuran, which appears to be the same active ingredient as Furan 2, can I use that instead?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 63 85.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.1%
Back