OP
OP
A

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, water is bright yellow now but have both kaniplex and bifuran in now. She's still eating but she's far more listless, I can't tell if it's in part because she's fallen way down the totem pole and the other fish now also boss her around.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, water is bright yellow now but have both kaniplex and bifuran in now. She's still eating but she's far more listless, I can't tell if it's in part because she's fallen way down the totem pole and the other fish now also boss her around.

The bright yellow is normal for the Furan. The listlessness is possibly because the infection has gotten so much worse. I hope she pulls through for you and hope the others don't pester her and make it worse.

OP
OP
A

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bright yellow is normal for the Furan. The listlessness is possibly because the infection has gotten so much worse. I hope she pulls through for you and hope the others don't pester her and make it worse.
Yeah I'm really worried about her. She's a little more listless now, she doesn't come out everytime I enter the room. The picking has gotten worse so I put an eggcrate divider up between the three others and her. One of the smaller ones can still get to her side but I hope it will atleast buffer her from the more aggressive ones, even if it means she ends up never being able to coexist with the others I just want to give her the best shot to pull through this. She is still responding to food, but I do notice she seems to be spitting it out mostly. Though I have been feeding them a lot so maybe it's just to much at this point.

OP
OP
A

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes; also agree with Meredith about it turning the water yellow. This is normal.
Is it possible to do an ammonia test in these conditions? I don't know of one that isn't colormetric. Maybe the badge still kind of works because the references are tinged by the water too.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to do an ammonia test in these conditions? I don't know of one that isn't colormetric. Maybe the badge still kind of works because the references are tinged by the water too.

The yellow tint of the water would impact the readings. I would pull the ammonia badge out of the water and shine a flashlight on it to see what it says.

OP
OP
A

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The yellow tint of the water would impact the readings. I would pull the ammonia badge out of the water and shine a flashlight on it to see what it says.

Ok great. One question about combining Kan and Furan, the Kan I was planning on leaving in for 48 hours, water change, redose. However the Furan packaging says to do a partial or complete WC every 24 hours and redose. What's the best plan here? Should I stick to the 24 hours, ~70% WC and redose both Kan and Furan?

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I've convinced myself that the common sense answer here is right, the only goal of the redose/wc scheduel on these meds is to keep the dosage the same and they probably all have different lifetimes in solution. Also I'm starting to see some ammonia creep in so I'll do a big water change tonight and redose.

I constructed a divider for the sick anthias and I think it's helping a little. She's a little less skittish now, she still seems weak but atleast she's not getting hammered every time she comes out now.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok great. One question about combining Kan and Furan, the Kan I was planning on leaving in for 48 hours, water change, redose. However the Furan packaging says to do a partial or complete WC every 24 hours and redose. What's the best plan here? Should I stick to the 24 hours, ~70% WC and redose both Kan and Furan?

Most antibiotics only remain active in the water for 24 hrs max, so I would time your dosages of each to ensure the fish is getting 24 hrs exposure time before the next WC.

OP
OP
A

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this is still looking really crappy and she's progressively been getting less interested in food and more listless.

IMG_20170214_075238.jpg

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, all you can do is stay the course and hope for the best. I don't see that getting better on its own.

OP
OP
A

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved her to her own tank this morning, even with the barrier the other anthias intimidate and sometimes get through (also want the other three to continue on). Redosed biotics and we will wait.

IMG_20170214_104613.jpg

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Areseebee That's looking really bad. Can you get acriflavine ex. Acriflavine-MS or Ruby Reef Rally?

I'm just thinking a 90 min bath using that might be useful to halt the progression of the infection. You'll still need antibiotics to finish the job, but they can be slow acting with fish.

More info: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/acriflavine.282887/

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks just aweful. I'm so sorry. I hope the acriflavin bath will help. I agree it's a great idea, I just hope it's in time.

OP
OP
A

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She's dipping still, I really hope she makes it but I'm very pessimistic. She's not coming out for food anymore. She came back from the dead once for me when I received her from LA with 4 other very dead lyretails, I was sure she was dead the first night but she made a comeback the next morning and appeared completely healthy.

OP
OP
A

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately she didn't make it overnight. Totally bummed!

OP
OP
A

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I feel like I learned a lesson that I should be more aggressive at the first sign. Huge thanks to both you and Humblefish for volunteering your time and knowledge in helping out. I definitely would have been totally lost without all the really prompt input!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back