Black Tang has Ich BAD...any ideas?

Emoney

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My black Tang has been battling ICH for about 2 weeks..Ive had tangs with ICH before and as long as they were eating they seem to recover fine..Well my black has it BAD like ive never seen before..I tried a fresh water dip, scared to do hypo..

so what do i do ?? Just keep my finger crossed???

Hes not really eating, (nibbled on some nori today) but thats it...He WAS a healthy 5-6" fish...but hes covered in white..:( :(

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you been soaking food in garlic elixir? It'll help entice them to eat, and is said to boost their immunity.

macawmagic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try feeding Rogger's Reef food. I had a couple tangs get ich and every time I feed them that it gets rid of the ich. I think its the fresh garlic inside the food that helps.

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you been soaking food in garlic elixir? It'll help entice them to eat, and is said to boost their immunity.

Btk said it all, Garlic is the most common way to provent and treat ich

aalvarado87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would have him out and in a quartine tank asap. Start dosing to kill the ich. You can easily run down to petco and set up a small quarantine i believe you dose copper to get rid of the ich. i am sure you can find some good supplements. I would not just wait it out thats sketchy on that expensive of a fish.

Jas8943

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the best thing i have came up with is feeding them spectrum thera+ a made by newlife.
it has saved my yellow belly blue tang a few times. i feed it to all my fish twice a week it is great for them and it seems to help alot

JGoslee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's only two ways to treat ich, copper and hyposalinity. Both require a quarantine tank. If one of your fish has ich then the whole tank has ich. If it were me I would remove all my fish from the tank and put them in a quarantine tank and start hypo immediately.

DallasJohn210

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trust me....Tropical Science Marine Max!!!!

Disease and life extension....only thing that works!

You will immediately be a believer!

Dose for treatment...one tspn per 20 gal x 3 times a week!

I did...gone.

My store said BS...did. Gone.

MimicOcto8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agreed with BTK and M and M garlic and whatever you do dont stress him out anymore. that'll only make it worse. got any picture the poor fellow?

DallasJohn210

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Garlic just keeps him eating...which is great.

Does nadda for the ick.

It getting worse..he will get on gills and...ugh.

Pull him to your stores Cu tank is 100%.

CTMarinelife

CTmarinelife
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost mine this morning! Get it in copper asap! If it stops eating there is no turning back.

JR's Reef

Joey08
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's only two ways to treat ich, copper and hyposalinity. Both require a quarantine tank. If one of your fish has ich then the whole tank has ich. If it were me I would remove all my fish from the tank and put them in a quarantine tank and start hypo immediately.

Agree! This is the only way you will save this fish its too late for any other options and it might be to late for these too

OP
OP
Emoney

Emoney

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All his food is soaked in garlic and selcon ..he's been eating just stopped today ..fresh water dip seemed to stress him out more..setting up qt tomorrow if he's still Around ...I'm very sad over this BS ..

Note to self...don't buy fish from live aquaria that arnt on divers den...( powder blue )...and qt all fish

Johnthebaptist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried garlic and it helps but copper is absolutely necessary if it is bad. I have used cuprmine with success. Setting up a uv for the main tank will knock stuff out of the water. It is always there but you can decrease it's presence and give the tang a chance to recover. I would highly recommend radical action immediately. Life cycle of ich gets scarly with time.
Hope you can save him. It's a miserable feeling to watch.

MoneyPit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tang finally recovered from an ich outbreak. He kept getting picked on by my yellow tail damsel. All I did was feed with a drop or two of homemade garlic juice every other day. I heard that would help boost his immune system. He never stopped eating either. I couldn't catch any of my fish unless I emptied my tank. So a QT tank was not an option. As for your tang, I think if you can QT him do so and try one of the many ich medicines. Good Luck !

FishLipz

Cheap and Easy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude that sucks. Keep your head up and best of luck with the copper and QT

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did fresh water dips on my purple tang. Safe for my reef tank and it took 3 dips a couple days apart and it cured my purple tangs ick.

Reef lvr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used the kick ick with good results and no ill effects on corals.. Good luck, hope he is a strong one!!!

Greg'n-Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone here has the right approach in fighting this constant menace in our hobby, garlic, copper, etc.. are all great. I'm using Brightwells Garlic and that seems to be getting my ICK under control. Anyone that has tangs should really invest in a Cleaner Wrasse. You may go through a couple of them to get one to eat but it's worth every penny! Mine loves ICK!

Last edited:

Lazys Coral House

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Note to self...don't buy fish from live aquaria that arnt on divers den...( powder blue )...and qt all fish

Please don't take this personal but live aquaria didn't kill your fish. There are very few retail fish stores or hobbyist that properly treat fish. No matter where you buy your fish your are going to get ick in your tank sooner or later. The only way to be sure you don't is quarantine in hypo-salinity or copper for 45 days. Now that it is in your tank you are going to have to remove all your fish and leave it fish free for 45 days to be sure it is gone. For that duration your fish are going to need to be treated. Others on here that are telling you that they beat ick with healthy feedings is not likely. Healthier fish can be less susceptible however they are likely always fighting it month after month in the gills. UV sterlizer will only kill what is going throught it. I am sorry about your loss and hope you don't loose this one.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back