Blenny SHOWOFF!!!!!!!!!!

Chasmodes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Josh, it's amazing how much the pictured feather duster blenny resembles a female feather blenny, and the pictured freckled blenny resembles the male H. hentz. What are the differences between the two genuses? One is the fang, I guess?

Josh Carter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree they do look similar. I always thought male H. ionthas were H. hentz because I had never seen one and the female ionthas look so different. H. ionthas however do not have that mottled appearance over the body and I think H. hentz display that all the time. I've never seen a high breeding male H. hentz though have you? Do they have breeding colors? The picture of my H. ionthas male is pretty much the breeding color pattern with the purple almost iridescent hues and large cirri. When underwater with a H. hentz for the first I knew right away what it was with the branching single cirri and blotchy color. Plus the size, it was huge. Rarely have seen ionthas that big.

I've attached a paper on blenny phylogeny. The particular paper put Hypsoblennius as sister to Chasmodes but the three genera are closely related. For such closely related genera they sure have some big distinguishing factors. In my opinion the chasmodes look like no other blenny I know of. Just a unique fish. And those fangs on Hypleurochilus are curious as well. I believe the lineages are quite old and have take a long time to produce what we see today. I'd have to do a little more digging to refresh my memory better of just how old. Interesting how little is really known about these fish. I mean you google H. hentz and the wikipedia page has a bosquianus pictured. Maybe it's just being around them so much under water and on land that they all have a night and day different look. The fish are just so common, but I don't think people interact much with them. Just about every dive shop I've spoke doesn't have a clue about blennies other than they're the little fish that scoot around on the structure. ;)

Attachments

• A multilocus molecular phylogeny of combtooth blennies.pdf
    577.6 KB · Views: 509

Chasmodes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't personally seen a male H. hentz in breeding colors, but have seen videos of them. They are pretty dark also, but brownish hues, bright blue spot on the dorsal fin, and the cirri become bright orange.

I agree, species in the Chasmodes genus seem so much different, more laterally compressed, longitudinal stripes (and the one over the nape to the nose), a much larger mouth, almost bass like.

Yeah, that's funny about the Wikipedia site. I don't know how people confuse the two genera, but it happens quite often on-line from what I can tell. To me, Hypsoblennius and Hypleurochilus have a very similar look morphologically.

I'm also surprised that you don't see any of the three genera for sale in the aquarium hobby. It's a shame, because some are quite colorful, and all of them are hardy with a ton of personality. I fell in love with them the first time that I caught one 36 years ago.

Thanks for the paper, that's awesome! I have some studying to do :D

Chasmodes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, here are a few pics of mine.

Chasmodes bosquianus
(striped blenny)

Female
IMG_9092_zps8ucbcpuo.jpg

Male
IMG_8995_zpsqh1vj5ll.jpg

Juvenile
IMG_8107_zps9sf1uoli.jpg

With his best bud, the skilletfish
IMG_7942_zpsg2lu2gmz.jpg

Chasmodes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a video of my tank. My striped blennies are full grown now. The mottled one that you see at 40 seconds into the video is the only female in the tank. The rest of them are adult males in their spawning coloration. At the 3:25 and 5:00 minutes in the video, you can get a good idea of their coloration as they spar over the female. I personally think that these sparring matches are pretty cool to watch. After the final bout, the video pans back to the female.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back