Blue Coloring

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a frag of blues that were the brightest blues I have ever seen. They are the tubs type size and come from the pacific side. Anyway, they have grown but have lost there color. In your experince would you move them p hig or shade them? They have been low, but have had full light on them. Maybe they need more, maybe less?

Chris2222000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How bout you send me a frag and Ill see where they like it in my tank :D
j/k
IME Ive found my blues and purples do best at the bottom of my tank -Im running 250 watt hami. 14k if that helps any.

-Chris

jeffberens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some "not really sure but look like" Tubs blues and they seem to gain back some of their color when I lowered them in my tank. I have T5s overdriven with icecap 660s. Just my experience - hope it helps. Jeff

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
revhtree said:
I have a frag of blues that were the brightest blues I have ever seen. They are the tubs type size and come from the pacific side. Anyway, they have grown but have lost there color. In your experince would you move them p hig or shade them? They have been low, but have had full light on them. Maybe they need more, maybe less?

hey Rev.. I think I have some just like yours...

right now, I have two frags of them and once they get acclimated with the new lighting, I'll put one in direct light and one indirect lighting and see which one is happier..

If you have couple of polyps to spare, I would do the same experiment... :)

twon8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have found withe brighter light they look like this
P1261245.jpg

while these are the same ones after spending some time at the bottom
blues10k.jpg

geoxman

hemp farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are Solomon Island then they like uber light. JMHO. I have some under 250W HQI DE 20K 2 inches from the surface and they are bright. I made the mistake of keeping them out of the light and they really dulled out.
They are about 15 inches from the center of the light beam, but up high. It only took a couple of weeks to color back up.
From many years of collecting zoos I find that for the most part, Solomon zoos prefer high watt and higher K to keep their color and vibrance. Best of luck! JMHO

Zeppelin

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found kind of the opposite. Allot of the Solomon zoos I have gotten in actually show more of the brown outer ring in real bright light. That was especially true of the blue chunks. The center color widened more with less light. Myself, I would shade the blues a little and see how they look.

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
revhtree said:
Sounds good and they are solomons. I have moved them higher so we shall see.

keep us posted Rev.. hope they color back up for you....

mbunaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found that blues from the Pacific like lower light and the ones from the Carribean love lots of light. Try fragging a small chunk and put them high up.

jessiesgrrl

Hasslehoff is NOT Hot!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are beautiful, Rev!! I wish someone would name some blue ones Cookie Monster Blues for me. I'd do it myself, but...:lol:
:D
Laurie

jessiesgrrl

Hasslehoff is NOT Hot!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
revhtree said:
LOL! Thanks Laurie.

I am confused now, but I will frag. Thanks.

My best ideas are born of confusion... generally hopefully someone else's, but most of the time it's mine...
:D
Laurie

jkopfishman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd make some frags and move them around until I find where they like it best. JMO

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back