Blue hornets care advice

Lovemycj7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I'm looking for some advice on placement of blue hornets. My colony has been slowly shrinking. The lashes used to be full and they are now stubs. In a last ditch effort I moved them from the middle of the tank to the sandbed thinking maybe the lighting is too strong. All other zoas are doing great I don't think it is a pest. Any advice would be great thank you!

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you send any close up pics?
While you at it maybe a FTS and some water testing's?

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can tell you that in my experience with my red and blue hornets i had a similar situation and they were located in medium light. I actually created a thread just like you did and someone said they like high light. I put them in high light and boom, everything changed for the better. With that said, everyones tank is different. The same zoa might do better in high light in one tank and low light in another. Maybe you have something else bothering them or causing these issues.

OP
OP
Lovemycj7

Lovemycj7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before and after pics

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

OP
OP
Lovemycj7

Lovemycj7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water parameters

Alk 8-9
Calcium 450-475
Mag 1350-1400
Nitrates 10
Phosphates .05

OP
OP
Lovemycj7

Lovemycj7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had both blue and red hornets middle of tank offset from lights reds are doing great. Blue shrinking away. I figured lower light because my colony on the rocks in the middle right under the LEDs shrunk as well. It was a slow demise.

OP
OP
Lovemycj7

Lovemycj7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have they been in that location? Any change to flow or your aquascape?

Been there in the good pics for a few months then started going downhill. Now on sandbed with what's remaining for a few days so far still in the game. Just added some corals here and there but no changes to flow or lighting. Everything else is doing great

OP
OP
Lovemycj7

Lovemycj7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can tell you that in my experience with my red and blue hornets i had a similar situation and they were located in medium light. I actually created a thread just like you did and someone said they like high light. I put them in high light and boom, everything changed for the better. With that said, everyones tank is different. The same zoa might do better in high light in one tank and low light in another. Maybe you have something else bothering them or causing these issues.

Did a search and seems like people are saying high light. my colony on rock was right under the light halfway up the tank and they didn't do well. I'll give it a shot if I have to thanks!

Saltine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My blue hornets have been the most temperamental coral I've ever owned. Good Luck.

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would start with giving them a dip to be sure any pests are out of the question and then a dip for bacteria/fungus if that doesnt do the trick. Process of elimination. If i had to guess the ones that are shrinking should be doing just as good as the ones that are not getting the same flow and light. If i had this situation in my tank thats what i would do. If there are any that seem to always be open and some that are always closed i would cut away the good ones and put on a new plug.

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would start with giving them a dip to be sure any pests are out of the question and then a dip for bacteria/fungus if that doesnt do the trick. Process of elimination.

+1, as mentioned even if there are no pests, eliminate the possibility that it could be part of the problem. If they've been there for a few months and have melted to that extent, i'd be curious to know how fast they declined. Too low of light can kill a coral, but can take a long time, you should have also seen signs of this long before they got that bad. Too intense of light would have caused somewhat of a similar issue to happen, but much much faster.

Has anything else changed? Clearly your chemistry is not a likely culprit as others seem to be doing fine. If there's anything left of the colony I would frag it as @Pola0502ds mentioned. Maybe make a few frags, place them im different light intensities as a test; if you believe the light is truly the issue.

OP
OP
Lovemycj7

Lovemycj7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the suggestions I'll see if I can cut a few and do some tests. The die off occurred over 2 weeks. Polyps kept getting smaller and shrinking then disappearing. What I have left is opening and not shrinking anymore. Just have no skirts left really weird.

Back