Blue lights on all night?

ashley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone...i am just wondering does anyone leave their blue lights on all night? Prod and cons....

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. When I first got my "moonlights", I first left them on so that I could watch the tank after hours. However, what I noticed was that some fish never "slept". So now I include the moonlights as part of my early dawn and late evening. Total blackness for 12 hours.

govolsguy31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. When I first got my "moonlights", I first left them on so that I could watch the tank after hours. However, what I noticed was that some fish never "slept". So now I include the moonlights as part of my early dawn and late evening. Total blackness for 12 hours.
Same here basically. Lights out from 8:30pm to 8am.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lunar lights are fine if they are very dim. they can possibly help with the spawning cycle of certain fish.

OP
OP
ashley

ashley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lunar lights are fine if they are very dim. they can possibly help with the spawning cycle of certain fish.
Ok so this may be dumb..what are moon lights and lunar lights? Are they the blues?

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need darkness also for the chemistry of the tank. With lights off the corals are not uptaking cal and alk and and the ph will change. This is needed to balance the chemistry of the aquarium.

meir

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about very weak stock lights as a night light option

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so this may be dumb..what are moon lights and lunar lights? Are they the blues?

Yes, moon lights are a couple blue LEDs. Some fixtures come with a couple blues for moon lights and you can also purchase stand-alone. I have two, four foot Ice Cap moon lights that are part of my light cycle.

clownfish chris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about very weak stock lights as a night light option
No, moonlights need to be very dim. We are talking just a hint of light... features in the tank should be difficult to make out and corals will just barely floress.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If fish needed some sort of night light they will create one them self, if not don't worry let it be dark as you don't want that fish with a self created night light in your glass box :eek:

do-you-like-bvoqke.jpg

OP
OP
ashley

ashley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, moon lights are a couple blue LEDs. Some fixtures come with a couple blues for moon lights and you can also purchase stand-alone. I have two, four foot Ice Cap moon lights that are part of my light cycle.
Ok good yo know...i have a fluval 2.0 marine and reef 36 inch fixture..it has some blues on it.

OP
OP
ashley

ashley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If fish needed some sort of night light they will create one them self, if not don't worry let it be dark as you don't want that fish with a self created night light in your glass box :eek:

do-you-like-bvoqke.jpg
Haha..i guess that makes alot of sense.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been running moonlights on my salt and fresh tanks all night for years now. It doesn't matter. I also keep my discus grow out main lights on 24hr a day.

If it makes a person feel better to have some total darkness that is just fine, but is it needed? Nope.

JP79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More they are in the dark the better. Most corals feed of zooxanthelle it's the algae it makes to feed off. Durn the day it makes sugar for energy. So at night it needs the dark to burn off the carbon dioxide. That's why at night the pH drops. That's the easiest way to explain it. But coral needs dark. As much as you can. The corals also feed at night. The fish could use it too. Clean up crews work the best in the dark as well. Mine get about 7-8 hours of dark.

OP
OP
ashley

ashley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More they are in the dark the better. Most corals feed of zooxanthelle it's the algae it makes to feed off. Durn the day it makes sugar for energy. So at night it needs the dark to burn off the carbon dioxide. That's why at night the pH drops. That's the easiest way to explain it. But coral needs dark. As much as you can. The corals also feed at night. The fish could use it too. Clean up crews work the best in the dark as well. Mine get about 7-8 hours of dark.
That makes total sense...thanks

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back