Blue Reef Chromis (Chromis cyaneus) Success Stories?

reefman88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad they are doing good for you. The blue chromis are awesome and when you are diving on certain wrecks here in palm beach there are schools of 1000's of them. Very cool sight to see in the wild. My friend has a couple in his tank and once they started eating they never stopped! These are seen swimming freely throughout the reef not ducking in and out of coral heads like the green ones in nature (at least my observation). Good luck with them and the first 2 weeks is the toughest, feed little bits throughout the day while your home.

3Twinklets

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All are doing well. Eating like pigs and already come to the glass when I go to feed them. I've been feeding them dry cyclopeeze and they go nuts for it. I love how these fish change color. There is almost always one in the group that is solid black while the others are bright blue. I'm not sure what the black signifies but if I can keep these together and observe I hope to find out. When I feed the black one turns blue instantly.

9f806b23.mp4 video by ritter6788 - Photobucket

I got 3 of them today.

OP
OP
ritter6788

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with them and the first 2 weeks is the toughest, feed little bits throughout the day while your home.

Thank you. That's part of my problem. I work long hours and only get a chance to feed once a day. I'm hoping these aren't like Anthias that need several feedings a day. I tried Anthias once and I'm just not there to feed them enough. I'll look into adding an autofeeder if I need to.

3Twinklets

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool! Let me know how they do.

Will do. Found a home for my big monster serpent star today so I am not so worried. I am not sure that he was eating fish but Emerald said the one she had did. Also got 2 Bangalli Cardnals and 1 Lyrtail Anthias.

Cooper32803

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, I think those turn completely black and get HUGE.

Oh no! Of course all the fish I like turn into muted colors when they get to adulthood.. Just had it happen with the bicolor black and gold chromis I had... pretty as a lil guy but went all brown on me and became a lil bully when it came to food :-(

oigimsar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along. I tried three of these a couple of years ago and they didn't make it. I love this fish and would love to find some that were more hardy.
Where did you get these?

OP
OP
ritter6788

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm down to four. There is a group of three that are culling out the weaker ones already. One looked a little beat up and was in the corner by itself. The next day it had died. There is another slightly smaller one that looks like it's being picked on so I think it will go next. The remaining ones are all eating like pigs and look great so far.

Where did you get these?

Sorry I missed your post. I got them from reeftopia.com They have them labeled as "Blue Reef Fish". I was ordering some snails and stumbled across that so I emailed them to ask exactly what fish it was. They quickly emailed back they are Chromis cyaneus. I really didn't believe they really were but for the price I figured it was worth the gamble. They were correct. The fish are very small though so if you're looking for something larger then this may not be the place to get them. They have them listed as "very hardy" so I wanted to see for myself if they are more hardy than the Caribbean variety.

oigimsar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I was looking at Chromis Viridis. I haven't seen any in an LFS here but they are supposed to be a peaceful Chromis species form Fiji. I may give them a try. I will check out reeftopia as well. I would actually prefer the smaller ones.

chris13115

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are some of the least hardiest chromis, I seriously have no answer since these guys are kinda rare in aquarium trade. Try feeding vitamin enriched foods, or vitamins next attept for any better results. But if this happens again, I would stop trying. Maybe try Lemon Chromis (Amblyglyphidodon ternatensis)

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a blue green in a tiny 40G for about a year with a clown and a royal gramma. To tell the truth, im not sure i could kill the gramma and chromis if i tried. Very Hardy...just recently threw them both in my brand new 120G (well its about 3 weeks old) just to see if they would survive (im not cruel, the test kits also showed zero for everyhting tested)...and of course they are fine. Didnt even bother acclimating them, just threw them from one tank to another.

In General i find that fish of almost any kind (except for powder blue tangs and fish that are way tooo large for the tank) have been traditionally very hard for me to kill.

Firefish and 6line wrasee being exceptions...they will jump out of the tank......kind of hard for that not to result in death.

thinkfuture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had 5 Chromis, & they got pretty Good size over the years. I have heard the key is to keep them in odd numbers. 3+
Although, in recent months, my Chromis disappeared 1 after another. I need to get some more.

46gReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was actually contemplating a school of these myself, tagging along on this thread.....

chort55

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS recently added a few blue reef chromis to their display tank, definitely a sweet fish and one I have wanted in the past, just could never find them so never tried. They are pretty ood size, definitely not tiny and are in 4'x30"x2' (I believe) and still noticable even with all the corals and other fish.

Mr. Limpid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chromis cyaneus, these fish are not good shippers so right of the box strike one, they are part of the damsel family strike two and they will fight among themselves for ranking order till one is left and he is so beat up that he will eventually die, strike three. I have had 12 in a 135 (only fish in tank) half died off added 12 more to make 18 total over a year time it went down to the one he died 1 year and 2month from introduced.

Just my .02

OP
OP
ritter6788

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...and then there were two. :tsk:

I was gone for a long weekend and one was missing and another dead. No idea where the other one is but it wasn't on the floor or in the tank. I found one on the sand that was only a tail. I looked like something bit it in half. Maybe they ate the other. I guess size doesn't matter with these fish.

I'm coming up on one month in QT for these fish with no signs of disease and they are eating like pigs so I need to make a decision if I'm going to put them in my 75 or not. If I add them both I have a better chance of one or both surviving in the display and if I leave them in QT it looks like I'm only going to end up with one. I'm seriously considering putting them in the 75 but leaving them in a breeder box for an extended time to get used to the tank and the other fish.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummer. :(

OP
OP
ritter6788

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bah! Down to one that fast. I moved it from the QT to a breeder box in my 75. That's my last attempt at these fish. I will say they seemed to ship better than the Caribbean variety but the aggression is the same. I knew they'd pick each other off eventually but I didn't think it would happen that fast.

Back