Blue Reef Chromis (Chromis cyaneus) Success Stories?

ajanicki10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had three green reef chromis for two months and they have been great. Just added two orange stripe this afternoon. Love how the chromis school, swim actively and playfully peck at each other.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1424837628.430167.jpg

OP
OP
ritter6788

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah those blue/green Chromis (Chromis viridis) are known to be easy to keep. The ones no one seems to be able to keep are the Blue Reef Chromis (Chromis cyaneus). I'd like to know why.

OP
OP
ritter6788

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know mine died from face plant to floor..LOL

I wonder if they could catch an illness or lack or nutrition from being captive

They go mental then die/vanish. They will look great for days/weeks then spaz out and croak. Multiple feedings daily doesn't seem to be the answer.

Maybe the same reason we can't keep queen anthias but why?

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a good question... I'll talk with one of my friends about it and see what she can come up with... Ocean Biology Friends are good to have

Oldude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a very bad picture but it shows one of the pair I have
blue chromis 1_zpsi91yewgz.jpg

OP
OP
ritter6788

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a very bad picture but it shows one of the pair I have

That is certainly the fish I'm curious about. Keep us updated on how they do and your care for them. I can't find anyone that's had them more than a few months.

Oldude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They go mental then die/vanish. They will look great for days/weeks then spaz out and croak. Multiple feedings daily doesn't seem to be the answer.

Maybe the same reason we can't keep queen anthias but why?
What size is your tank? I have had no issue with these in my tank. Some fish need a lot of space to do well.

OP
OP
ritter6788

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size is your tank? I have had no issue with these in my tank. Some fish need a lot of space to do well.

I have a 75 and the 2 times I've had one in there they vanish. I had 6 tiny ones in a QT and one by one they died. I had a friend with a healthy 220 that has tried to keep them with the same result. I just don't see these fish kept successfully in captivity even though they are often offered for sale.

Oldude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 and the 2 times I've had one in there they vanish. I had 6 tiny ones in a QT and one by one they died. I had a friend with a healthy 220 that has tried to keep them with the same result. I just don't see these fish kept successfully in captivity even though they are often offered for sale.
Perhaps some of them are not getting harvested properly for long term health?
I have had no problem with mine - they are healthy, fat & happy in my 400 gallon.

OP
OP
ritter6788

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps some of them are not getting harvested properly for long term health?
I have had no problem with mine - they are healthy, fat & happy in my 400 gallon.

Very possible. You're the first one to chime in with the right fish and has been able to keep them for any time. I've never had problems getting them to eat and they don't seem to be bullied by other fish. The last one I had hid it's face in the rock one day until it died. It was eating well and active until that. No ich, velvet or any other apparent disease.

paddling oar's

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was all happy to snag two medium 3" blue reef chromis Today and Ritter had to ruin my moment :-( was gonna put both in my QT but the smaller one was picking on the bigger one in the **** bowl. So I put that one into my 90 instead and the big one in QT. I guess I will keep ya'll posted how mine do.

paddling oar's

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far so good on both of mine. Kinda wierd because in the 90 (the reef chromis that was beating up the other larger reef chromis) my blue reef chromis and green chromis are best buds, always together and never fighting. But in my 100 the blue reef chromis is always picking on the two black axil chromis. But I am only at the 3 month mark so only time will tell. Here is a pic of the two chromis hanging out in a cave.

Attachments

• 20150712_175533.jpg
    20150712_175533.jpg
    898.6 KB · Views: 290

lou dog420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I would have found this thread earlier, could have saved myself some $$$. I put 5 of these fish in my DT about a week ago, along with a small yellow tang. ( I don't have a quarantine so straight in they went.)First couple days were great, these are some really beautiful fish. Their behavior was just as you described, always atleast one of them seemed to stay by itself except at feeding time.also the isolated fish always displayed a darker grayish color than the rest, which is brought on by stress I heard. Anyway, so one morning i notice that 3 of them are all beat up. 2 of them even had like bite marks with chunks missing on the back of their heads, but they were all swimming around like nothing happened and eating like pigs. The next morning one is missing, 4 left. The morning after that 2 more are MIA, now their are 2 of 5 left. On that morning I noticed what appeared to be alot of little chunks of flesh floating in the water column.. During these last couple days I was blaming this on the yellow tang and was ready to get rid of him, but now I am certain that they are killing and even eating each other!! Im pretty sure when I get home from work in the morning there will be only one, and I shall name him the gladiator!!! Peaceful reef fish, keep in groups of 6 or more my butt!!!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back