Blue Reef Chromis (Chromis cyaneus) Success Stories?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no personal experience with these but I've been looking into chromis in general. From as much as I can gather there are 3 things needed to keep them alive. First is regular feedings, 3-5 times per day. Second is to be in a tank with at least 1 or 2 aggressive fish so that they shoal for protection. 3rd is to be lucky!

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second is to be in a tank with at least 1 or 2 aggressive fish so that they shoal for protection.

I don't think this is wrong, but I've never seen this behavior from any typical reef fish in a typical reef.

So no typical reef fish seem to be "predatory-enough" at least IME. In all cases the Chromis turn on one another until there's one or two (or none) left.

Anyone have a differing experience?

aaron23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think this is wrong, but I've never seen this behavior from any typical reef fish in a typical reef.

So no typical reef fish seem to be "predatory-enough" at least IME. In all cases the Chromis turn on one another until there's one or two (or none) left.

i agree out of 3 chromis theres only have 1 survivor. Im sure you'll have better chances depending on the size of the tank

slosoak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had 3 in a 500-600 gallon tank for 8 months now. There are also 8 Bimac anthias along with a number of other fish that stay in the mid to upper part of the tank. A week ago I am down to 2. They have all been eating well and no signs of aggression toward each other. They are fed once a day. This has been the best luck that I have had with them so far.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'll have to see if I can find the thread where people were discussing successfully keeping groups of them and link it here. I distinctly remember one person saying that had 12 Chromis in his tank for over 2 years.

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please do that Brew. I've always been interested in putting a harem in my 300

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started w 7 a year ago.

Down to 4 but one was found on floor.

As far as i can tell, fighting hasnt been an issue, never seen any aggression or marks.

Fwiw i started w 6 baby clowns also...one vanished the first night....one i have no clue about.

I have 4 left..one of which has been living in my overflow for a couple months now.

OP
OP
ritter6788

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

lou dog420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may give them another try, they are some beautiful fish.

james983

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a trio going for about a month. Started with 6 and lost 2 the first day. Then lost the third 2 days later. Currently, I have three little guys who have progressed from qt to my 60 gallon frag tank. I have been feeding them frozen baby brine. That is all they actually eat and I have tried everything. The size is perfect for them and for some reason they won't eat Cyclopees. I feed as often as possible which can be 4x a day or only 1x a day.

I know it's only a month and they are still juveniles but they are pretty cool as they stay together most of the time. I will try to post a picture another day. I had a short video but it won't attach.

james983

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3959.JPG

Could only get 2 out of 3 in pic.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Where are you all getting your chromis?

james983

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got mine from a LFS. I would not get them without seeing them as they don't seem to ship well. Even that way I lost 2 right away.

Nick92515

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a blue green for 4 months, fed once a day, got sucked into a ph.

Are the blue any more aggressive than the blue green?

Deinonych

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my Blue Reef Chromis for 2.5 years. She's a bit bossy with my wrasses, but is otherwise a good citizen. She is always hanging out with my Kole Tang and Foxface. In fact, the three of them are practically inseparable. Go figure. :)

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 27 30.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 71 78.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 15 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 8.9%
  • Other

Votes: 7 7.8%
Back