Blue tang in QT laying on side and losing color

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had an ich outbreak and only my yellow tang and small blue tang survived. I had them in cupramine for 31 days, did a 75% water change and added a poly filter pad. A few days later I dosed prazi pro but forgot to remove the pad so that was worthless. So I tossed in some cuprisorb, a new pad, and carbon to get the copper and meds out. As of yesterday the blue tang had lost some color on his bottom half, but I've read that is not out of the ordinary. He was swimming normally. The odd thing is during cupramine they would both eat nori like crazy, since I removed the copper they eat every other day at best.

Today I did a 25% water change, removed the poly pad, was going to remove the carbon and cuprisorb to run prazi pro correctly this time. During the water change I noticed the blue tang laying on it's side, which it has done every day since moving to QT. When I tried to get him out of the DT he wedged himself into some rocks half out of the water and had to be pried out so tends to hide when he sees me and sometimes plays dead. It's kind of funny when he can't see me and is swimming like a maniac, sees me and flops under some pvc and won't move. The whole water change when he moved he would move only sideways and the color loss looks worse. His bottom half almost looks gray. 0 ammonia on alert badge and 2 test kits, 0 nitrites, and not breathing heavy.

I'm getting ready to dose the prazi pro in a little bit, but figured I would check and see if anyone had any ideas on why he suddenly looks worse and only going sideways. Bad cell phone pic attached, but it's the best I could get, can't quite see how bad the color loss on bottom half is.

IMG_20170121_141940.jpg

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you did all good things to the poor puppy.
Just start the prazi and we would see what happens, if God has a plan for him it wouldn't change much on this time.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aside from him "swimming sideways" he looks totally normal. I don't see any problems just from his color and appearance. I agree, go ahead and do the prazi and see how he does. Monitor him closely though.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a hippo tang and it is the only fish I regret getting. I love the way it looks but it always seems like it has something wrong with it. Drives me crazy. It swims sideways some times, rubs against stuff, flashes... you name it. He even gets white spots that never last more than one day. :confused:

OP
OP
blkhwkz

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a hippo tang and it is the only fish I regret getting. I love the way it looks but it always seems like it has something wrong with it. Drives me crazy. It swims sideways some times, rubs against stuff, flashes... you name it. He even gets white spots that never last more than one day. :confused:

Glad mine isn't the only one that likes to rub against stuff. So far, so good, he has changed which pipe he is laying under a few times, but still alive and kicking. Yellow tang is a bit lethargic today, but not unexpected with the prazi.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They are difficult to QT in a bare-bottom, rockless system as well. For one, they typically do not handle Chloroquine well - so copper must be used instead. And then they are always trying to wedge themselves in-between the glass & heater, or under a PVC elbow. With the latter, you have to be sure not to use a PVC elbow which can roll on top of & kill them. :eek:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are difficult to QT in a bare-bottom, rockless system as well. For one, they typically do not handle Chloroquine well - so copper must be used instead. And then they are always trying to wedge themselves in-between the glass & heater, or under a PVC elbow. With the latter, you have to be sure not to use a PVC elbow which can roll on top of & kill them. :eek:
Mine did very well in my HT/DT. I think it helped that he was around 5" long when I got him.

OP
OP
blkhwkz

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the blue tang is still alive but never moves from the PVC. They yellow tang now is looking rough. Neither have eaten since I put the prazi in the other day. Tests still show no ammonia and no nitrites. The yellow tang seems to have some red spots and also now a few holes in the dorsal fin that were not there yesterday. Attaching 2 lousy cell phone pics. Getting enough water ready to do about a 50% water change just in case. Only thing that changed is I took off the smaller air pump and added a larger one I had here to make sure there was plenty of oxygen after dosing the prazi.
IMG_20170124_123518.jpg

IMG_20170124_123521.jpg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man, that looks like a bacteria infection. :(
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/bacterial-infections.191511/

Here is a section from this link.

• For really bad infections, I advocate combining metronidazole (ex. Seachem MetroPlex), Furan-2 and Kanaplex to achieve a very broad spectrum of treatment. Props to “hedgedrew” for enlightening me of this.

OP
OP
blkhwkz

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was my guess too :( I have metroplex and furan-2. No kanaplex. but I will see what I can do to get some asap. Need to order more furan-2 as I have enough for 3 doses, not the recommended 4.

OP
OP
blkhwkz

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish you think it will be okay if I start metroplex and furan-2 today and add the kanaplex tomorrow? I can get it overnight from Amazon, but don't have any on hand and checking to see if the LFS happens to have any.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish you think it will be okay if I start metroplex and furan-2 today and add the kanaplex tomorrow? I can get it overnight from Amazon, but don't have any on hand and checking to see if the LFS happens to have any.

Yes; use what you have on hand and add Kanaplex to the mix as soon as you can get it.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, getting water ready for 50% change, kanaplex, ruby reef rally and more furan-2 ordered.

Good luck! Be sure to administer Rally in a 90 minute bath solution; I wouldn't mix it with the antibiotics in QT.

That YT is looking pretty rough, but acriflavine might be the "first aid" it needs until the antibiotics kick in.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back