Blue Throat Trigger and Blue Spotted Toby Puffer in a reef?

MCooper

MCooper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been researching the Blue Spotted Toby Puffer and Blue Throat Trigger for my reef and basically it comes down to a risk.
Are the two of them equal risks in a reef or is one more risky then the other?

Pros and cons ?

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue Spotted Toby Puffer
A possible drawback with these tobies is that some individuals will nip the fins of other fishes. You may not see them doing the nipping, only the results of it – circular bite marks on the fins. Fortunately, most individuals do not engage in this undesirable behavior. When they do nip tankmates, they most often assault long-finned fishes, like comets, bannerfishes, batfishes and tangs. Tobies are rarely aggressive towards other fish species, with the possible exception of congeners. The Papuan and ocellated tobies are territorial fishes, with males excluding consexuals from their territories. Therefore, individuals (especially males) may fight with each other if placed in the same tank. It is possible to keep a male with a female together in a larger aquarium (e.g., 100 gallons or more).

Blue Throat Trigger
While these fish are quite hardy they still appreciate excellent water quality. Standard reef tank parameters are optimal. A tank of at least 90 gallons with live rock and several hiding places large enough to accommodate this fish is best. A secure top is recommended because when startled, these fish are excellent jumpers. I recommend purchasing a juvenile fish as they tend to acclimate faster to aquarium life than the often shy adult fish. In larger aquaria these fish can be kept in small groups consisting of one male and several females. This fish is low risk to a reef tank inhabitants and generally considered reef safe. There have been several reports of larger X. auromarginatus eating hermit crabs, snails, and small shrimp. Those critters are not their preferred diet, so keep them well fed to minimize exploratory feeding behavior. Larger specimens may occasionally knock over corals and rockwork.

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no expert on either so lets see if @eatbreakfast can help you more.

OP
OP
MCooper

MCooper

MCooper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you 143MPCo. eastbreakfast has always given me amazing information so I look forward to his opinion. I keep bothering him so he may end up blocking me hahahah

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try the blue throat before the Toby imo. I've seen three Toby's nip coral in other friends tanks. I haven't seen that with the blue throat.

Aznxgqboyx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of blue throat triggers and if i were to do it again i wouldnt get them just because i think they eat and poop to much, lol. But they are cool to watch . I also dont have any sps corals but im sure they dont nick at them or anything their pretty peaceful imo. The pair on the left.

20161021_151630.jpg

fishkeeper2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a blue spotted Toby / puffer about a month ago. He is a small juvenile. He swims all day picking at live rock.

Won't eat any snails, live clams, misis, brine, rods carnivore food, freeze dried brine, or spirulina flakes. I also tried Prime Reef flakes and an stumped at getting this guy to eat. Do they eat only copepods? Ugh

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 67 34.4%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back