""Blue World" 180 Gallon Mixed Reef

BlueWorldJeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to display my 180 gallon mixed reef nicknamed "Blue World". Its a 6'x2'x2' glass visio tank with center back overflow. 40 gallon sump with filter socks, AM250 skimmer, live rock and Waveline DC6000 return pump.

20170122_160829_zpsbvicjft5.jpg

Lights are 3 x Rapid LED Onyx. Outside two lights have 60 degree optics and middle is 100 degree. Water flow is with two Tunze 6105s. Everything variable speed is controlled by Apex.

Aquascaping was done by epoxying live rock into pillars. No rods or zip ties used. There are four pillars with the middle right pillar being fairly new (no coralline algae on it yet). The middle pillars are close so that the fish can swim through them creating depth and something fun for the fish to do.

Speaking of fish, there are the following inhabitants:
- Dejardini Sailfin Tang
- Blonde Naso Tang
- Yellow Eye Kole Tang
- Leopard Wrasse
- Checkerboard Wrasse
- Flame Angel
- 2 x Black and White Ocellaris Clownfish
- 2 x Blue Chromis
- Mandarin Dragonet
- Cleaner Shrimp
- 2 x Sand Sifting Stars
- 2 x Serpent Stars
- Hermits
- Trochus Snails
- ORA Ultra Gold Maxima Clam

20170122_160842_zps6pcuj7sr.jpg

The coral in the tank is a mix of LPS and SPS. I like plating and encrusting corals, but also need more staghorns and bush-like corals as well. #reef2reef, #worldwidecorals, #mywwccontest

Some of the larger colonies are:
-Tri Color Valida
-Ponape Birdsnest
-Mint Pavona
-Red Dragon
-Green Capricornis
-Hammer and Torch Corals
-Yellow Scroll Turbinaria
-Montipora Spongodes
-Montipora Digitata
-Pink Prostrata
-various Acans

The electronics cabinet to tank right:

20160919_091654_zpsskh6mqa0.jpg

20160919_091713_zpsu1vcbxht.jpg

Here is the sump with ATO reservoir on right and Ca/Alk containers on left.
I was adding RODI to the ATO at the time of the picture, hence the plastic tubing

20160916_172251_zps3jgv57pj.jpg

Return and drain plumbing from single 1.5" drain bulkhead and two 3/4" return bulkheads

20160916_172232_zpsvhuw6q70.jpg

20160916_172223_zpsmjpktibh.jpg

20160916_172147_zps7irqruqo.jpg

Zero Nitrates

I love chalices
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful reef!

The pillars are very cool. I tried that in my tank and it just looks like two piles of rock.

How did you epoxy it all together?

And what is your electronics cabinet made out of? Where did you get it?

OP
OP
BlueWorldJeff

BlueWorldJeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the pillars are just stacked live rock that I dry fit first so there was enough angle that when corals grew, it wouldn't shadow corals below it. then I just used a ton of those 2 part epoxy sticks with a water spray bottle . I'd mix up some epoxy then stock it between the live rock pieces and then spray it down liberally. when done, i put the pillar in a trash can or Rubbermaid tote of tank water to cycle and cure.

The electronics cabinets were some old modular audio cabinets my friend have me. I took the middle shelf that was removable and cut it to fit vertically and then screwed it in and drilled wire holes. there are two cabinets that I screwed together.

OP
OP
BlueWorldJeff

BlueWorldJeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biggest problem with an external electronics cabinet is that some equipment cords won't reach. I had to research to see what size extension cord I needed to use for a 300W heater. then the cord is only a couple feet long. definitely worth it though.

OP
OP
BlueWorldJeff

BlueWorldJeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I am trying to color up my Monitpora Undata. I have it on the right pillar at the top, as I've heard they like a lot of light. It had been growing at the bottom of the pillar, but not really coloring up nicely.

Also, I am looking for some coral that would fit nicely on the left "arm" of the right pillar. It is in between two light fixtures and under the glass brace for the tank, so the lighting isnt that bright. I'd still say over 200 PAR. I tried an orange digitata on the very end to see if it would take, but it hasnt done much. I've tried some encrusting favias and montis on the length of the arm and we'll see how that goes. What do you think? What would look good on the "arm"

RightLRPillar_zpszso9ze5y.png

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks great!

OP
OP
BlueWorldJeff

BlueWorldJeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forest Fire Digi would look good there.

My orange digitata has that same orangish red polyps with white/blue flesh base. It wasn't thriving on the tip of the arm. Not sure if not enough light or was just taking its time. I moved it to the middle pillar where it is lower in the tank, but is directly under a LED fixture. We shall see. Thanks for the tip on the Forest Fire Digi, nice looking piece

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back