Bluespot Jawfish

Peterski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just woke up to see him on the floor. He look fine and happy in his caves. I removed the screen top on my 60 cube.

Feeling Sad and Angry. My question is are the jawfish active at night ? What makes them come out of the cave to jump out ?

Culater94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't see every time a fish tries to jump and hits the mesh. I have had two bluespots and both of them eventually found their way out of my tank. Both over night. They squeezed through what I thought was an impossibly small gap in my cover

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are very well known jumpers. Any time they get spooked they jump and they are very skiddish

wkscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish may actually be more likely to jump at night. When it's dark and they are sleeping anything can startle them. like a sea star, hermit crab, or another fish "sleep walking."

seaplane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss. BSJs are such great fish . Mine came up missing a while back and I was sure he must have gotten through a hole in the egg crate top and one of the dogs must have found him. I have a Biocube and I looked for him in the back chambers, even took out the return pump, but he wasn't there. About a week later I was about to siphon out the middle chamber and there he was! Since then I made a 1/4 inch mesh screen top and he hasn't escaped again.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue spotted jaw fish are prone to jumping, they are going to do it.

OP
OP
Peterski

Peterski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Such a bummer., I got him on weds night.. thank you everyone for your replies

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a BSJ for a few months with BRS 1/8" mesh. So far so good, knock on wood.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 46 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.3%

Back